El°HYM

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:I AM El°HYM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:55

XronoMorph: Loop generator

XronoMorph is a free OS X and Windows app for creating multilayered rhythmic and melodic loops (hockets). Each rhythmic layer is visualized as a polygon inscribed in a circle, and each polygon can be constructed according to two different mathematical principles: perfect balance and well-formedness (aka MOS). These principles generalize polyrhythms, additive, and Euclidean rhythms. Furthermore, rhythms can be smoothly morphed between, and irrational rhythms with no regular pulse can also be easily constructed.  XronoMorph subsumes the earlier MeanTimes app described in Milne, A. J. and Dean, R. T. (2016).  Each polygon can play an independent sound, and XronoMorph comes with a useful selection of samples to play the rhythms. Alternatively, you can load your own VST or AU plugins, or send MIDI to an external software or hardware synth. The rhythmic loops can be saved as presets within XronoMorph; they can also be saved as Scala scale tuning files, which means XronoMorph can be used as a tool for designing well-formed (MOS) and perfectly balanced microtonal scales.

Perfectly balanced and well-formed rhythms 

The mathematical principles utilized by XronoMorph are perfect balance and well-formedness (MOS).  Perfect balance is a generalization of the polyrhythms found in many African and jazz musical traditions. A rhythm is perfectly balanced when the mean position (centre of gravity) of all its rhythmic events, when arranged on a circle, is the centre of that circle.  Well-formedness is a generalization of the additive rhythms found in aksak (Balkan), sub-Saharan African, and progressive rock musical traditions. Well-formed rhythms contain no more than two interonset intervals, arranged as evenly as possible. WF rhythm are typically nested by faster WF rhythms, which in combination form complex interlocking rhythmic hierarchies.

#enjoy

:walkman: 

• danoise, Djeroek, random and 2 others like this

Inside ur Renoise; helping Byte-Smasher putting Cab Sims on ur Master.  :ph34r: 

#2 Neurogami

Neurogami

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, technology

Posted 21 May 2018 - 18:43

Thanks!

• El°HYM likes this

#3 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6846 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 21 May 2018 - 19:01

The rhythmic loops can be saved as presets within XronoMorph; they can also be saved as Scala scale tuning files, which means XronoMorph can be used as a tool for designing well-formed (MOS) and perfectly balanced microtonal scales.

Hey, that's interesting. I always did imagine microtonality as being something which could somehow be inscribed in a circle...

• El°HYM likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#4 random

random

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Babylon by Bass

Posted 21 May 2018 - 20:36

i miss the E-909 Euclidean Rhythm Web-Side Composer (best Metronom i ever tried) the HP is sadly dowm

http://www.groovemechanics.com/euclid/

HqFGaZz.png

another nice Euclidean Sequenser written with Flash

http://www.hisschemo...lidean-rhythms/

euclidean_patterns.jpg

Infos:

http://cgm.cs.mcgill...tions/banff.pdf

Edited by random, 21 May 2018 - 20:43.

#5 dblue

dblue

Dodgy Geezer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5790 posts
  • Interests:Code. Music. Graphics.

Posted 21 May 2018 - 21:42

i miss the E-909 Euclidean Rhythm Web-Side Composer (best Metronom i ever tried) the HP is sadly dowm

The Wayback Machine got you covered, mate! :)

http://web.archive.o...ics.com/euclid/
  • random likes this

#6 random

random

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Babylon by Bass

Posted 21 May 2018 - 22:21

Wow !! thank you very much dblue !!!

#7 Paul Buck

Paul Buck

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 00:53

Xronomorph looks very interesting. There's a point in the YouTube video that sounds like ELPs Tarkus. That made me like it even more. :)