Photo

Do you Renoise on a laptop? If so, what do you use?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 lettuce

lettuce

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 17:06

I just need to get a super tall external display to keep track of melodies :P

A lot of new laptops are convertible tablets, they can be removed from the keyboard and placed on a stand in portrait mode.

By pressing Alt-Ctrl-Left arrow key, renoise can be displayed in a vertical orientation, allowing for more pattern lines onscreen.

However it is a shame that renoise does not adapt to this, as the instrument list and file browser will get lost off the right side of the screen.

I know that renoise can adapt to netbook size screen.

Maybe renoise portrait mode for tablet  laptops placed vertically would be a good thing to have ( without chopping off the instrument list and file browser ). Could add a scroll bar to get to them.

I'd imagine with the use of a larger external monitor placed on its side ( for long / vertical display ),  the instrument list and file browser will still show.

Edited by lettuce, 29 May 2018 - 17:19.

#27 agent220

agent220

• Normal Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 19:11

I do. lately I've been using my gf's ideapad y510p that she never uses and is letting me hold onto.

#28 Mivo

Mivo

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:07

I used it for a few years on an Asus N750J (some mobile i7, 8 GB, 750GT, 17", 1080p) on Windows 8. It's a very capable machine for it. I switched back to a desktop a couple years ago (i7-5820k, 16 GB, 980ti, 27", 1440p), but since the high-dpi support mountain isn't coming to me, I may actually re-activate the laptop for Renoise use because it just doesn't work well with 1440p and my eyes (either too small or blurry). Planning to use some Linux flavor on it to slowly ween myself off Windows.

#29 radian

radian

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:49

Lenovo ThinkPad T470p with Windows 10 here.

#30 Meef Chaloin

Meef Chaloin

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:30

I just set up my laptop to dual boot with Windows 10, was previously using just linux, and amazingly windows automatically set up 125% scaling. Interestingly this makes renoise comfortable to look at and text is not like it is meant for ants to read. It seems that linux is unable to do the same thing, unless there is some way I don't know of. I set up scaling to 1.2 in Plasma's preferences and it makes some things bigger but it doesn't actually scale most programs the way windows does.

So now I am wondering about most of the people who complain about the lack of scaling in renoise, I assume the majority are not using linux.

Edit: I've found a way to do it manually on linux using this https://github.com/kaueraal/run_scaled. It works but after a very quick test it looks like the gui runs a bit slower than normal and looks a bit choppy but I will investigate it a bit more.

Edited by Meef Chaloin, 04 June 2018 - 10:24.

#31 Raul (ulneiz)

Raul (ulneiz)

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:56

However it is a shame that renoise does not adapt to this, as the instrument list and file browser will get lost off the right side of the screen.

If you reduce the window size of renoise to the maximum, you get a just resolution of 994 x704 pixels, which is the size adjusted to a resolution of 1024x768. This allows access to the taskbar of the operating system or even to click on the desktop from the side.

If you turn 90 degrees a screen of 1024 x 768, you have a width of 768 pixels. 994 - 768 = 226 pixels that will be lost, which is approximate to the small amount of the instrument box (and I guess the adjustment will be forced from the upper left corner).

I think that Renoise's design must adapt to high resolutions screens. In such small screens, is that there is hardly any surface to do anything and it becomes something anti-productive (there are many controls and panels to show).

:excl: Development of my tools: Piano Roll EditorKangarooX120SamRenderPhraseTouch

:excl: My API wishlist R3.1 (updated 24 July 2017):

Spoiler

:excl: My Renoise 3.1 wishlist (updated 26 September 2017):

Spoiler

#32 lettuce

lettuce

• Normal Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 14:25

Its good that it goes as low as 994 x704 pixels, which is less than netbook screen resolution at 1024x600 pixels.

Working in renoise with a windows tablet placed on its side in order to see more lines in the pattern editor is not all that important to me, but it was interesting to note that the instrument list and file browser do get lost when using renoise in that way. Just an observation.

I wonder if renoise can adapt to weird ultra portable laptops like those sony vaio ones from a while back?

They might be cheap by now. Saw 2010-2011 netbooks for $30 on ebay the other day.

Quite a good deal for use with renoise if you can deal with not using many vsti or effects.

Probably filters are o.k but reverb will make it stutter from CPU load ( they are only shitty old intel atom, but they do have 2GB of RAM ).

vaio-p-update.jpg

Edited by lettuce, 04 June 2018 - 14:26.

#33 Zer0 Fly

Zer0 Fly

• Normal Members
  • 1261 posts
  • Interests:Buddha

Posted 04 June 2018 - 17:06

I find it nice that used thinkpads are mentioned for ppl on a budget... I guess those things were in the suitcase of so many insurance etc. company guys and got replaced after every x years, so there's some serious and reputable quality to get for a good price... like you can get a used t420/t430 in good condition for around 200-300 €...

the i5 processor is not the weakest, the keyboard on my 420 is very nice to work with, 430 has a different keyboard that I don't know but is said also to be nice... things run linux with grace... the headphone jack has OK sound... I use mine when I'm on trips...

just make sure you get one with 1600x900 display, there are some around with 1366x768 which are generall a bit cheaper than the higher resolution, but might be too limiting to use renoise properly with...the display is not very lucid/clear though, this is business stuff and not visual designer quality, but for renoise it's fine...

#34 El°HYM

El°HYM

• Normal Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:I AM El°HYM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 18:53

The old #thinkpads are pretty neat, indeed...good for handling audio, too.

Also, worth to check from that time - period would be the HP - Elitebooks;

built like a tank & decent latency specs etc. - talkin business - class, here.

Inside ur Renoise; helping Byte-Smasher putting Cab Sims on ur Master.  :ph34r: 

#35 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2575 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 08 June 2018 - 21:22

I wanted to Renoise on a Raspberry pi. Heard it did Linux. Not so much.

#36 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2575 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 08 June 2018 - 21:33

Also, worth to check from that time - period would be the HP - Elitebooks;

built like a tank & decent latency specs etc. - talkin business - class, here.

My last 3 work PCs has been the Elitebooks, the first one with an early i3 was not very good, but my second one with ssd drive and a newer i7 was pretty bad ass. My current one is a downgrade after our company switched owners, an i5 something i think, didn, check its specs, but it has a "Bang Olufsen" sound system wich is pretty silly for some built in laptop speakers imo.
  • El°HYM likes this

#37 The_Traveler

The_Traveler

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Exploring timbrality ...

Posted 08 June 2018 - 21:56

HP Spectre x360 13t-w013dx http://laptops.revie...6-laptop-review

Love this lappy! 13' screen is no impediment, crystal clear and excellent sharpness. Super portable, very well built and incredible battery life. No SD card slot, but I don't miss in on this.

Only thing I didn't care for was Win10 so I scrubbed it off and installed my own highly tweaked Ubuntu install. Runs Renoise a treat. :)

Cheers.

• El°HYM likes this

#38 El°HYM

El°HYM

• Normal Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:I AM El°HYM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 22:37

Would be kind of interesting to know what Taktik used 3,4 years ago to program the 3.1 Version....lenovo, hp or some more fancy stuff.

• oopscene likes this

Inside ur Renoise; helping Byte-Smasher putting Cab Sims on ur Master.  :ph34r: 

#39 sales@curioza.com

sales@curioza.com

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:AAMS Auto Audio Mastering System
    www.curioza.com

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:40

Renoise 3.1 is fine with most computers or laptops nowdays. That is why it is my first starting place to hunt for samples instruments and creating a track. It is so steady build it never crashed at all.
I do own Cubase 9.5 and all like Halion/Wavelab and loads of plugins.... Still the way Renoise is a tracker and you can directly edit all (like notes, samples, cuts, and fx) is so fast. If i need to do this with cubase i would have to take hours of naggy software and clumbsy mouseclicks to do so. Renoise can work a lot with keyboard and that is way faster!

AAMS Auto Audio Mastering System - www.curioza.com

Audio Mastering Software for Windows.

#40 oopscene

oopscene

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Software programming, Renoise

Posted 18 July 2018 - 00:32

Lenovo ThinkPad P51 here with Windows 10.

Very nice beast though the latency while playing a keyboard connected to a VST attached to a Renoise channel is kind of noticeable.

Using Renoise 3.1

My blog

SoundCloud

In Spotify

#41 Jealousy

Jealousy

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:*core

Posted 20 July 2018 - 14:55

MSI GE62 7RE Apache Pro with 22" Samsung Full-HD screen

www.jealousy-speedcore.de

www.soundcloud.com/shpjealousy

www.mixcloud.com/j_lowcity

#42 spacepluk

spacepluk

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 21:32

I used a Thinkpad x200 for years now I'm on a Razer Blade.

#43 niNja_pWn3d

niNja_pWn3d

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:..:: My kids - Music - Production - Promotion - 8bit - amen - Hax0r ::..

Posted 23 August 2018 - 00:00

Acer Aspire V3 with touch screen which is oddly lovanble FOR music production. Its strictly running TrueOS but dedicated partitions exist with that adware infected sexual transmitted in the worst way OS.. YEAH! that Windows.. kicking around unbooted unless the lady part of my heart needs the rig. 

If I was more well off than currenlty bust ass broke as a fucking bad joke-er I'd like to try a high end Alien. Just once. I'd like to at least give it a go... 

Youtube!
Soundcloud!

"The magnitude of pleasure reaches its limit in the removal of all pain. When such pleasure is present, so long as it is uninterrupted, there is no pain either of body or of mind or of both together." -Epicurus

#44 nykk deetronic

nykk deetronic

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Interests:audio, video, gfx, visual FX & animations...

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:03

When I choose laptop this is what I first look at:

- Laptop must have numeric keypad (for shortcuts) / sorry iBook! :)

- Laptop must have ONLY ONE Windows key, not two (CTRL, Win and LeftALT on the left side and ALT GR, FN and CTRL on the RIGHT part).

- Laptop must have LIGHTING keyboard (Illuminated keys) so I can compose music at night :)

- Laptop must have LARGE "ENTER" key. Any smaller than LARGE will start making me annoying problems during work... :)

- Laptop must have Left, Top, Bottom and Right arrow keys correctly placed for quick work. (I had enormous problems in past working on various different laptop's keyboards)

- Laptop for Renoise must have keyboard as close as similar to LOGITECH Illuminated Keyboard for PC K740 - take a look: https://www.officest...-keyboard-k740/

- So I am happily using Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition since the day it is released :) Best 17,4" laptop, a bit heavy but great for work :)

Hope this helps for choosing the best laptop for Renoise. If you have better ideas - let me know :)

• sokoban likes this

#45 TonySilva

TonySilva

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 00:44

Hope this helps for choosing the best laptop for Renoise. If you have better ideas - let me know  :)

Most workstation nowadays come without a numpad, which I find very essential for Renoise (predominantly in light of the fact that the default easy route for circle square is situated there). While I have a PC myself,

When I choose laptop this is what I first look at:

- Laptop must have numeric keypad (for shortcuts) / sorry iBook!  :)

- Laptop must have ONLY ONE Windows key, not two (CTRL, Win and LeftALT on the left side and ALT GR, FN and CTRL on the RIGHT part).

- Laptop must have LIGHTING keyboard (Illuminated keys) so I can compose music at night  :)

- Laptop must have LARGE "ENTER" key. Any smaller than LARGE will start making me annoying problems during work...  :)

- Laptop must have Left, Top, Bottom and Right arrow keys correctly placed for quick work. (I had enormous problems in past working on various different laptop's keyboards)

- Laptop for Renoise must have keyboard as close as similar to LOGITECH Illuminated Keyboard for PC K740 - take a look: https://www.officest...-keyboard-k740/

- So then you could buy phen375 here I am happily using Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition since the day it is released  :) Best 17,4" laptop, a bit heavy but great for work  :)

Hope this helps for choosing the best laptop for Renoise. If you have better ideas - let me know  :)

Edited by TonySilva, 03 October 2018 - 11:03.

#46 Bradley

Bradley

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 19:58

Macbook (10.6.8) and Asus EEE PC (Xubuntu) here; Renoise 3.1.1 works great.

Both machines have SSDs and RAM maxed  :excl:  

For heavy DSP, I stick to the Macbook. Quick sketches and on-the-go, I use my trusty EEE PC.

Renoise can work on any machine, even if it's more than 10 years old:walkman:

Edited by Bradley, 23 October 2018 - 22:35.

#47 assink

assink

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 18:14

elitebook 8740p here, works perfect.
before had a thinkpad t410 also works just great.