What do you think about new Studio One v4 and FLStudio 20?

The chord extension looks pretty awesome in S1, but I still miss meta signals. I have no clue what the benefit of 32bit internal midi resolution is. Maybe this is the first step towards an upcoming meta modulation addition?

Great that FLStudio now works on macOS. I think they removed hardware acceleration of the GUI in the end, so it looks CPU driven, but still quite fast to me. FlStudio is capable of so many things. Yet I see no benefit over other more traditional DAWs.

What do you think about it?

bro loving it !! Fl studio 20 …i bought it when it was still 12.5 …it was my 1st daw …and i always had love for it :slight_smile:

i specially like the grouping lanes in the playlist feature they added with the new version also yesterday i was trying the new audio recording features and audio consolidate …and all of this is really cool really enhace the workflow

as for the CPU …this version feels a bit lighter …the cpu and RAM meters …are peaking a bit less …and the version they release yesterday …still has some known bugs… they are going to release an update this week…

this is basically release candidate No4

and for me the benefit its …the workflow …pianoroll its excellent …and has a lot of randomization options …also producer edition thats the more accesible …comes packed with everything you need to produce

including Sytrus …super powerful Fm synth…Maximus fruity granulizer and Vocodex (and guess what they added …a sample start offset automatable knob in the built in sampler //how cool is that :)—) …plus .a bunch of extra synths and audio effects…

here’s a play trough of a project i’m working

1 Like

That newchord track stuff in Studio Onelooks very interesting indeed!

@22:55

[youtube]

[/youtube]

EDIT:

@56:30

Holy cow, this iscrazy!! Thisis going to addmuch newvalue to many of my Renoise rendered audio files without question!

And in combination with the upcoming Sononym stuff… justWOW!!! :dribble:

BTW… If the user can change everything MIDI/Audio on all tracks in Studio One in real time bystriking downchords on theMIDI keyboard… isn’t thatbasically the very concept of that much discussed “RAS” feature here at the Renoise forums? :walkman:

1 Like

I have fancy DAW fatigue and intend to ignore new versions of DAWs that are not Reaper or Renoise.

1 Like

I have fancy DAW fatigue and intend to ignore new versions of DAWs that are not Reaper or Renoise.

i was using reaper …but i ended up not liking the automation system and also …dont like to much doing sound design in reaper …

but the audio editing its gold !!!

and actions are awesome …

by the way Tracktion release an update to the waveform DAW and they included a modular kinda enviroment …kinda like instrument racks …

i was using reaper …but i ended up not liking the automation system and also …dont like to much doing sound design in reaper …

and actions are awesome …

by the way Tracktion release an update to the waveform DAW and they included a modular kinda enviroment …kinda like instrument racks …

THe new automation clips in reaper are pretty nice.

THe new automation clips in reaper are pretty nice.

its an improvement but still not as fast as i want …

and actions are awesome …by the way Tracktion release an update to the waveform DAW and they included a modular kinda enviroment …kinda like instrument racks …

Yes, Reaper automation lanes leave some things to be desired still, but the rest makes up for it, to me. The new automation items are improving all the time, they just released 5.90 and there are improvements and more planned for version 6. I love the new spectral editing, though it is not fully developed yet. I am hoping they focus on MIDI and automation for version 6, but even if they dont, I stick with Reaper/Renoise anyway

Please ontopic again!

Me act.has a tiny fl piano roll inside my renoise…not kidding here:

https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/plugins/Minihost%20Modular.htm

:ph34r: :walkman: :yeah:

Studio One is my absolute favourite DAW ever, but I was a bit annoyed that the upgrade path from S1-2 Producer to S1-3 Pro was quite steep considering they removed the producer level product, I upgraded anyway but waited till the Black Friday discount so won’t be jumping on this due to being a bit of a tight git.

My issue with FL 20 is the same I had with FL 12 and 11: the lack of support for custom themes. I find the blue-grey-steel interface to be lacking in contrast. I love many things about it, but the default (and only) theme is the fly in the ointment for me.

Studio One 4 has one of the best piano roll ever. With Renoise they are my favourite DAWs (i used ableton for 5 years before).

never tried studio one but Fl’s piano roll its really good too

Me act.has a tiny fl piano roll inside my renoise…not kidding here:

https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/plugins/Minihost%20Modular.htm

:ph34r: :walkman: :yeah:

beta here, needs log in:

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?f=1919&t=123031

Altough I actually hate daw’s , I recently purchased studio one pro 4.5 for a great price .
It’s an amazing daw , the built in stepsequencers are pretty cool , different time signatures/ step count per lane for poly-rytm , poly meter etc… probabilitty and any midi cc you like per step etc
The mixer and console emulation are pretty ace too , and the efeects are top notch .
Highly recommended

In other words, you don’t actually hate DAWs, you just like to say that you do.

re: Studio One 4, I really like the step sequencer, I think the implementation of that was top notch. It has a lot of features that are missing from most (if not literally all) third party drum sequencer programs, such as the ability to change the grid resolution per pad rather than globally.

But as ever with S1, the performance is shit. I get CPU spikes from synths that never cause issues in Renoise, Ableton or even Reason on the exact same system. In a ‘standard’ size session, when the session is playing back, clicking on a mixer fader or track in the arrangement makes a fuzzy distorted noise and the CPU spikes, every time. It’s absurd. Version 3 did the same. The program just runs like shit on Macs. I’ve been through it all with the tech support, and they are useless. The fanboys on their forums say it’s my soundcard, even though 3-4 other DAWs on the same system use the same soundcard and have, yup, zero problems… you get the idea. S1 is jank.

1 Like

get bitwig

Nah, I vastly prefer Ableton over Bitwig. I gave Bitwig a fair shot – even up to the current beta of 3 with the Grid, but Live is much smoother and faster for me. And since I already do a ton of modular design in Voltage Modular (which is fantastic, btw) the Grid is just sort of a fancy bell and whistle that I don’t need. Plus, there are simply many things in Bitwig that are, imho, inferior to Ableton – automation, for example. The sluggishness of moving nodes / creating envelopes is just ghastly. Live, especially now in 10.1 but even before then, is rapid-fire for automation editing. I’ve never understood why Bitwig has such sluggish graphics in many areas, and the automation envelopes are the absolute worst. That’s deal-breaker stuff for me. Also, the browser is concept-over-function. To me it’s a lot of noise and clutter, not a useful / fast tool for loading stuff. And don’t get me started on the ‘collections’ system, what a joke. You spend all day clicking little stars everywhere and forgetting to “set as target focus” on the folder you want, ahhhh it’s horrible. Live’s browser, I just go to User Library and I can create / move / copy / delete folders and files immediately, and drag and drop anything I want into and out of them. That’s all I need, yet most DAWs don’t allow it, at least not in such a streamlined manner. Let’s see, I also think the UI of the included instruments are lame. phase 4 is a horrorshow, graphically. it does not invite me to want to program it. Oh, and there’s the fact that Bitwig’s warping still has shit poor transient detection. live’s is so much better. I could go on. But, you see, I spent enough time with it to really get to know it, both what I like and what it’s failings are. The one thing I truly love is the side-by-side grid + arrangement, that’s what I always wanted with Live, but nope. I also dig the modulation system, of course; that is well done, for sure, and is superior to using Max 4 Live LFO’s, etc. But again, I do most of my modular building in Voltage and use Live as a composing / mixing / editing DAW, so I don’t really make a ton of use of synth-style modulators on the DAW level.

I’m rambling now. short version: no thanks on Bitwig. It’s cool but not for me.

1 Like

when i bought it i thought the same about automation and my direct comparison was Fl studio automation clips which are for me one of the best

but Bitwig has simplified all the automation you need to do with …modulators ,a huge range of Lfos and random modulators plus step sequencers and macro functionality …changed the way i approached automation …
plus you can type in the values for your nodes

and for half the price !!!

voice stacking … modulators …the grid …and a shit ton of effects …

i dont think its inferior its just different …also bitwig’s versatility and the way you can modify the feel/look of the interface to tackle the task at hand its amazing .for instance you have an edit mode suitable for extracting audio snippets out of long audio samples and you can turn session view into huge db meters when mixing

i much prefer it …and same like you i use to be a multidaw user …renoise Fl studio and Reason …
and bitwig has it all

and again for 400 bucks less than ableton live …:wink: