TheBellows Tracks

I’ll post my tracks in this thread from now on:

Not the most exiting stuff i have made, but this time i focused more on trying to get a well balanced mix, an attempt to mix properly for a change. Not sure how well i succeeded with that?

I appreciate any feedback on the production quality, is it balanced well? Is there anything that doesn’t fit well with the mix? Does the bass sound allright? How far from a professional mix is it? Does it sound dynamic enough? Any suggestion for improvements?

Nice laid back track. Especially the percussion sounds and melodies are well done. In my point of view the snare sounds too loud, and there is missing some high frequency/brillance in the mix. Also the basedrum sounds dry; overall quite an emphasis in the midrange.

Thanks for the feedback Cie and for pointing out some things i haven’t thought of. I found it very difficult to get the snare sound right and when you mention it i agree it’s too loud. I did filter a lot of high frequencies, so i guess that explains the lack of brilliance. I often struggle with the kick and yes, it lacks some real beef to it, but i’m honestly not sure how to make that happen? Any tips perhaps? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m mixing a new track that is imo a lot better musically and melody wise, but i do struggle a bit with some of the same things, especially the kick.

No problem :slight_smile: To give the kick more punch (and also to give clap/snare more crisp) and presence in the mix you might try a Compressor. It is not easy to use if you not aware of it, but there maybe some free plugins with good presets for kicks (sorry I do not know an example fro free vst, but maybe someone else). Also EQ’ing the base helps sometimes to emphasize EQ around 100-150Hz (depends on the kick).

I use a lot of compressors, but i guess i’m not that good at handling them correctly and i did not use that much in this track.

Just finished the track i mentioned above:

I’m a lot more happy with this one as a whole, but i don’t think i nailed the mix just yet…

A lot more compression in this one though, maybe too much? It should have a lot more of the brilliance, is it too much?

That is none of your business. Hope you like it. :smiley:

It’s a remix of this track:

I have wanted to improve this for a long time. Not really super satisfied with the outcome, so i might revisit it later, but i struggled so much with CPU that it was very difficult to fine adjust everything.

What do you think, is it an improvement?

That’s a tough one. I like the overall percussion on the remix better, but the break at around 2:30 in the original is awesome. Also, I think the cymballum type sample blends better in the original.

I do like both, which probably doesn’t help…

My amateur opinion. :slight_smile:

That’s a tough one. I like the overall percussion on the remix better, but the break at around 2:30 in the original is awesome. Also, I think the cymballum type sample blends better in the original.

I do like both, which probably doesn’t help…

My amateur opinion. :slight_smile:

Thank you Paul, it does help me a lot and i take your “amateur opinion” any day. :slight_smile:

I definately agree that there are some qualities from the first version that has been lost. My biggest struggle with this track is the drums, because it seems that whatever i try it just doesn’t sit well, but i’m glad i’m rid of the awful kick in the first version.

I started to mess up the instruments a bit too, which already are too cpu intensive and does not samplegrab well, so i need to either upgrade my pc or do some manual rendering. At the moment it’s impossible to listen to track in Renoise without rendering it, so that’s not ideal. :stuck_out_tongue:

A new mix of an older track:

I revisited one of my personal favorites, a track called Marginalia. Did some changes in an attempt to improve it and renamed it:

Old version:

Finally another bellow track, just like you all have been waiting for! :badteeth: