New Tool (3.1): Partial Quantize

qvHxSZI.png

https://www.renoise.com/tools/partial-quantize

Here’s a small tool for partially quantizing notes (moving them closer to the grid, but not all the way). It’s similar to nisanmol’s iterative quantize tool, but it has more features and it’s written for Renoise 3.1. Let me know if you find any bugs or have any feature requests!

looks useful…gotta check this one out, today.

Thanks thesselode!!It looks magnificent!

I think it is possible to clean before the row in the note-OFF’s so that the values of instrument, volume values, etc. are not present together with the note-OFF (example: renose.song().selected_note_column:clear() ).

You can also make the “Amount” value appear on the right side of the slider.Another thing that I usually consider useful is to add two buttons of “Undo” and “Redo”.This way you can correct without leaving the mouse.

I think it is possible to clean before the row in the note-OFF’s so that the values of instrument, volume values, etc. are not present together with the note-OFF (example: renose.song().selected_note_column:clear() ).

Currently, note off rows only have the information that was originally there. Are you noticing unnecessary column data being left behind in your usage?

Currently, note off rows only have the information that was originally there. Are you noticing unnecessary column data being left behind in your usage?

I mention it to you because the Note OFF does not need that data, nor the value of the instrument, nor the volume value, nor the panning value. Yes the delay value if necessary. But I think it’s better to leave the OFF Note clean of all these values.

If you want to keep that data, you may want to add an option to clean the note-OFF.For that, it is best to first clean the entire row and then add the note_value = 120

Works great, very useful for me.

qODzB9X.png

It’s been a long time coming, but here’s v1.1 of Partial Quantize. It fixes an issue with note offs with no preceding note data being erased, and it adds a valuebox for entering a specific quantize percentage.

Let me know if I broke anything really badly, I haven’t looked at this code in a while.

where is the download?

where is the download?

https://renoise.com/tools/partial-quantize

ok i need people’s wisdom on this:

is quantizing the length of the note the same thing as quantizing the end time? i was experimenting and it seems like the resulting end times of notes are the same regardless of which mode you use. not sure if this is an error in my implementation or a mathematical fact.

does anyone know if they’re the same or not? i tried working out the equations myself but i had trouble unpacking them into anything conclusive.

ok i need people’s wisdom on this:

is quantizing the length of the note the same thing as quantizing the end time? i was experimenting and it seems like the resulting end times of notes are the same regardless of which mode you use. not sure if this is an error in my implementation or a mathematical fact.

does anyone know if they’re the same or not? i tried working out the equations myself but i had trouble unpacking them into anything conclusive.

Why not implement the option :quantize start / end time ?

that already is an option…?

is quantizing the length of the note the same thing as quantizing the end time?

You decide - it’s your tool!

But OK :slight_smile: I would expect that the total playing time of the note is preserved.

Which means you can’t quantize both start + end AND preserve the length, of course.

Also interesting could be to quantize the note-off related to the start point of the next note, since note-off is more related to the next note than to the playing note maybe…? This seems to be quite complicated though, needs an abstraction of the notes including length.

v1.2 is out!

• Fix broken behavior when dragging the quantize amount valuebox
  • Remove the “quantize length” note-off mode
  • Add nudge and swing options

As always, let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions!

edit: thanks for the edit, taktik!

4 Likes