OP-1

Does anyone have a OP-1 by Teenage Engineering?

Apart from the price tag, is it worth getting? Been watching a lot of videos of people making some sweet jams on that little thing. So, yeah… interested in hearing your thought about it (only if you have one).

Dont have one myself, yet used one in the studio; a fun instrument & neat little synth, also good to snatch sum sounds from radio, which is fun. Even being really expensive for what it is, it also has a certain workflow, which kind of compensates the price… They’re having a budget - line with those Pocket - series, too: samplers, syntths and what…also worth to take a closer look at. So answering ur question, if u having those extra buckz, just get it (for da fun of it). :walkman:

I’ve an OP-1 and i don’t use it often as i should. It’s a great device and you can also use it als midi keyboard. I dont know any comparable devices with the same features in this portable size, that’s the reason why its so expensive.

I had one , a couple of years ago .

Brought it back after 3 weeks .

Fun device for sure , but forget about deep sound design …

Also the synth engines are a bit meh, too many sacrifices due to the underpowered dsp chip .

If you modulate the sustain of the adsr envelope with an lfo ( you actually see the modulation on the nice screen , you wil hear the internal update rate in the form of zipper noise .

I choose gameboy+lsdj over an op-1 .

nice design and quality (oled display, industrial encoder)
no planned obsolescence, yes i would like to pay
unfortunately, the op-1, the keyboard has no velocity
In that sense, i come with an iphone osc and a few apps at least as far

wait for op-z then you get the op-1 secondhand cheaper

wait for op-z then you get the op-1 secondhand cheaper

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking as well.

Also the synth engines are a bit meh, too many sacrifices due to the underpowered dsp chip.

If you modulate the sustain of the adsr envelope with an lfo ( you actually see the modulation on the nice screen, you will hear the internal update rate in the form of zipper noise.

I choose gameboy+lsdj over an op-1.

Oh… well, a small device like that is bound to have some limitations to what it can handle, but if they added the function you’d think they’d make it work… nice point tho.

Don’t get me wrong , it’s a fantastic device for laying down ideas / with some clever resampling turn them into full blown songs .

The design is top notch altough there are quit a few reports of failing screens and batteries .

Pretty hyped in the la-beatscene right now…might become the next sp404:

Teenage Engineering finally made more OP-1’s available for the public. However, they also increased the price with about 5000SEK. Me: :confused: Wallet: :sob: I always said I’d be the first to order one when it got back on sale, but now I’m not so sure anymore.

No word on why or if it’s an improved version, so far, either. My guess is simply a supply vs demand issue.

read in another forum (not official) the display must now be made custom, thats more expensive

Ah, yes, I read something about that as well. But isn’t kind of expensive for a display that small? Idk. I’m just glad it’s available again and dreaming for a price drop… eventually.

i do not think so.
anyway, annoying that there is no statement from T.E

TE had to cancel a bunch of pre-orders for two of their new modular units due to some manufacturing problems, the price increase on the OP-1 may be reflective of some kind of loss recoup efforts there, I don’t know.

They also publicly chastised re-sellers for increasing the price of the OP-1 a few months ago, and now they themselves are selling it at that inflated price… I guess if people are willing to pay anyway, more power to them, but it seems a little douchey to me.