SDS and SMDI sample transfer over MIDI compatibility

Hi Renoise community,

I have a few hardware samplers from the 90s (like Akai, E-mu, Yamaha and Ensoniq) and I use Renoise as my sample management tool to cut, loop and prepare my samples. I currently export as .Wav format and uses Elektron´s tool C6 to transfer my samples over midi. This is possible due to that many of the hardware samplers from that era supported “sample over midi” [SDS and SMDI protocol]

Idea:

How about a feature, where you can dump samples over midi from Renoise directly to you hardware sampler? (Like people did in the pastin the early versions of Propellerhead ReCycle)

Does that makes sense? :slight_smile:

wouldnt #scsi make a bit more sense with those machines?..could be wrong though; didnt us midi sample dumb since the 90s or something.

Yeah, but there are also hardware samplers without this SCSI port or where it was an additional hardware option, which you should buy extra in the past.

Do u kno how long it takes to dump samples via midi…we’re in 2018 now. sounds a bit #flatearth minded to me. B)

But good look with ur task, anyway.

Do u kno how long it takes to dump samples via midi…we’re in 2018 now. sounds a bit #flatearth minded to me. B)

But good look with ur task, anyway.

I understand your point-view, but there are still people who commit to hardware and older technology :wink:

I found a command line utility that can convert many audio formats to SDS format:

http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

Next steps, anybody?

-to find a (command line) utility that can play back these SDS files for transferring them into the sampler

-scripting a Renoise .lua tool to combine Renoise with such command line utilities

Thumps up from here!