New Tool (3.1) ChordGun

This tool fires chords into the Pattern Editor when record mode is on, and previews chords using OSC server when record mode is off.

donations: PayPal.Me

com.pandabot.ChordGun.xrnx (11.6 KB)

24 Likes

This tool fires chords into the Pattern Editor when record mode is on, and previews chords using OSC server when record mode is off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imMDeInH-Yg

I just hate it when people dont talk on the videos but this
oh my god!!!Cant wait to test it.Thank you

Thank you Pandabot for the tool !
I will hunt bugs, then you have to use “code gun”, bang bang bang :wink:
(but maybe this kind of tool doesn’t contains bugs)

• the video with explanations is always welcome for everybody.

What could be your next tool ???
Cheers

This is awesome.

Must have required a lot of hardcore studying and effort to make this.

What does the ‘modal mixture button’ do exactly?

I can see its re-ordering the chords but in what way, by what rules?

https://www.renoise.com/tools/scale-finder

pretty much the same i guess?

Nevertheless, this tool is AWESOME
 can’t wait to see more tools made by you!

Modal mixture is for borrowing chords from other modes, so it looks at the secondary scale and add any chords from that scale that aren’t already present.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borrowed_chord

I refactored scalefinderOSC codebase to make this tool https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-scalefinder-osc-0-1alpha/35076 but yeah scalefinder is the original. This one has some added functionality and better behavior but they are pretty similar.

song in the video is:

2 Likes

Thanks for the ‘borrowed chords’ link. Thats very interesting.

This tool will be good for studying as well as writing music.

Until now I had only understood that if I am using C Major, for example, I could also use other modes with the same notes ( C Major = D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, B Locrian ) but I hadnt considered borrowing chords from ‘C minor’ or ‘another C scale’ ( as those scales contain different notes to C Major ).

1 Like

Would be cool if we could trigger a chord with one key
 just like chordz or scaler

You can use the keyboard shortcuts right?

Although I guess it’s not possible to assign the number keys without also holding a modifier key down because some of them are used for the renoise midi keyboard.

https://imgur.com/a/qV0mZMn

Thanks, but i have some strange symbols in it.

Whoa lol, I guess your system doesn’t recognize the \t escape character. I replaced it with spaces, I think that should fix it

Whoa lol, I guess your system doesn’t recognize the \t escape character. I replaced it with spaces, I think that should fix it

Symbols gone, thanks.

It is looks nice (did not use it yet).

One question - how can i change chord root pitch? I think it is possible to use global oct setting in renoise, but it is not comfortable for me because i use midi keyboard to enter notes and this setting also affects it.

oh yeah it uses that global setting for the chord root pitch, so unfortunately you’ll have to change that to change it

Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but is there a way to hear the notes played while record mode is turned on?

No unfortunately the tool doesn’t work like that, if chords are previewed while record mode is on then velocity values are populated for each note with volume column visible (side effect of how notes are sent to OSC server). This wasn’t acceptable for me because I like to keep the pattern editor as clean as possible, so I opted for no preview while record mode is turned on

Bummer. Thanks for the tool anyway.

No unfortunately the tool doesn’t work like that, if chords are previewed while record mode is on then velocity values are populated for each note with volume column visible (side effect of how notes are sent to OSC server). This wasn’t acceptable for me because I like to keep the pattern editor as clean as possible, so I opted for no preview while record mode is turned on

You can avoid saving the volume value of the OSC Server:

“Renoise: Preferences/MIDI/Velocities”.Deactivate this checkbox.

OSC Server commands MIDI data. You can cancel any other value of this panel, even the notes OFFs or aftertouch

Some comments that could help improve your tool:

1. I think a pre-listening button would be very welcome. Be able to listen before recording.
  2. Add a virtual piano, where the keys of each chord appear illuminated. I have been developing this for my PRE tool. It is relatively easy to do.
  3. It is possible to add a value converter to convert the numbers into notes. Using tostring and tonumber. So, you can enter “C5” and it would return C-5, or D # 6 and it would return that value, or it could even show “D # 6 (+3)”, or something similar.

Edit:In point one I refer to the pre-listening button of each chord, which works like this: You press the button, the chord sounds. You release the button, the chord stops.This way you can add the note OFFs also when you record.

A question about inversions.If a chord, for example the majhas 3 notes,may only have 2 positive and 2 negative inversions. This is not like this?

Without using scale:

Maj: C E G

1ÂȘ inversion (+1): E G C

2ÂȘ inversion (+2): G C E

Maj: C E G

1ÂȘ inversion (-1): G C E

2ÂȘ inversion (-2) E G C

If the chord has 4 notes, then it could have 3 positive and 3 negative inversions.This is correct? In this way, is it possible to cover all the inversions?

Oh cool didn’t know about that Record & Play Filter, that does seem to solve the problem.

More inversion values were added to provide a greater range as a convenience, so you could easily fit a chord in a progression for smooth voice leading. For example it would be annoying if you went up two inversions and it’s still not high enough, so then you have to increment the octave and lower the inversions to make it fit. This allows you to keep going past the current octave, to fit it in without having to play with two levers