Switching instruments when using a midi keyboard

Hi all,

Yesterday I tried out using a midi keyboard as an input device for Renoise, to record notes in the pattern editor. Overall, I liked being able to use a midi keyboard rather than a computer keyboard, but I had one significant issue: switching instruments. I’m using an MPK Mini mkII.

When I started, I assigned the instrument I wanted to the keyboard, and entered notes. But to switch to a different instrument, I had to unassign the first instrument, and assign the new one. I know it’s possible to put different instruments on different midi channels, but the keyboard I’m using doesn’t have a hardware control for switching midi channels.

Is there an easy way to just have the midi device enter notes for whatever instrument is highlighted in the instrument panel? Or a quicker way to assign/unassign the keyboard to an instrument as the input device?

If not, should I just look for a midi keyboard that has a hardware control for switching channels?

Hi all,

Yesterday I tried out using a midi keyboard as an input device for Renoise, to record notes in the pattern editor. Overall, I liked being able to use a midi keyboard rather than a computer keyboard, but I had one significant issue: switching instruments. I’m using an MPK Mini mkII.

When I started, I assigned the instrument I wanted to the keyboard, and entered notes. But to switch to a different instrument, I had to unassign the first instrument, and assign the new one. I know it’s possible to put different instruments on different midi channels, but the keyboard I’m using doesn’t have a hardware control for switching midi channels.

Is there an easy way to just have the midi device enter notes for whatever instrument is highlighted in the instrument panel? Or a quicker way to assign/unassign the keyboard to an instrument as the input device?

If not, should I just look for a midi keyboard that has a hardware control for switching channels?

Yes

Go to: CTRL+M (MIDI Mapping window). Global Mappings / Navigation / Instruments:

• Decrease Current Instrument
  • Increase Current Instrument

You can use two keys of your MIDI keyboard to assign it.The white and black keys should also be mappable.You can use the two more keys to your left (higher tone), for example, or use the second MIDI channel to assign specific controls for your keys. Remember to save your map in an external file and save it when you finish mapping.

When I started, I assigned the instrument I wanted to the keyboard, and entered notes. But to switch to a different instrument, I had to unassign the first instrument, and assign the new one.

Don’t do that. Just select an instrument in the instrument panel and use your keyboard, Select a new instrument, and that becomes the active instrument.

I also have a MPK mini. You can have different programs defined (up to 4, I believe) and each can use a different channel (and notes, CC, etc.).

Mapping a rotary to whatRaul (ulneiz) suggested would give you better flexibility though (i.e. more than four instruments).

Or use one of the four possible MPK user-created program slots to define one that uses a separate channel than what you are using to send notes, and map whites keys on that channel to instrument selection. I think this would make it easier to see what instrument you’re selecting (just count across on the keys).

This way you can load prog 1 on the MPK to play, switch to prog 2 to change instruments, then go back to prog 1 to again play notes.

There are a number of ways to do what you want.

If I have two 16 pad controllers can I change to any instrument from 1-16 by hitting the pads of one of the pad controllers and play the selected instrument with the 16pads on the other controller?

If that were possible it would allow for seamless instrument switching during live performance

not only increase + decrease but also jump from one instrument out of 16 to another ( for example instrument 1 to instrument 8, instrument 16 to instrument 3 ).

The Default Shortcuts (annoying with Laptop) are Numpad 1 - 9 (Instrument 1 - 9)

or for one Shot Samples (Drums) Numpad X (Octave up) % (Octave Down) - i miss transpose on my Drumpads itself a lot, Bank Select as alternative sucks

Thankyou, this is an awesome solution to the ‘on the fly’ instrument switching problem!

I can use any cheap external wireless numpad ( or wired ).

Place it next to the drumpads for the live instrument change.

It shouldnt be too hard to hit the right number mid way through playing a drumbeat, should be fine.

Also, as each instrument allows for samples to be placed on all of the keyzones sample slots, it will also be possible to use the bank button on the drumpad itself to change to a new set of 16 samples to play with, while playing without missing beat.

So, in theory you could put together an entire pad drumming live set within one renoise song if you designed it nice.

This kind of thing is awesome.

You could do it ‘one song per instrument’ with seamless instrument changing using the numpad.

Yes the keys are a little small on the numpad to hit accurately if you are playing fast from end of one 'song into beginning of next one but not too bad.

But you better be sure you hit the right number otherwise your fucked…maybe could style it out somehow.

There are 3 banks per instrument on the AKAI MPD218 that I have so it will allow for ‘verse’ - ‘chorus’ - ‘breakdown’ - ‘verse’ per instrument, and only in the order of ‘bank1 bank2 bank3, back to bank1’…need next instrument, press numpad.

Should be cool. I imagine probably would have to press TAB to move forward one track from time to time for different effects setup …

Or it could be nice to also do one extra complicated song with many instrument and bank changes.

with the instrument changes being in any order ( not only increase or decrease, or as it is with the banks inside each instrument only increase no decrease ).

That will work out nice so problem solved. Thanks great tips there

Have you already tried Raul (ulneiz) phrase Touch?

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-1-phrasetouch-v1-3-build-089/49205
is really great (addet to Renoise 4.0 pls) and fun to play live

My Renoise setup was
Akai - Mpd218
Yamaha QY-100 (The Midi function: Local of, is relevant)
Mode Machines - Cerebelusb - USB to Midi Converter

a cheap Powerbank with on/off Switch

Will I be able to switch instruments by hitting a drumpad on a second drumpad controller with phrase touch?

That might still be preferable to the small numpad keys and could change between up to 16 instruments per pad bank ( for akaimpd controllers or 12 for some smaller ones ) that way.

( I have vestax pad one in addition to akaimpd218 and want to use it placed vertically alongside for instrument switching )

As far as I can remember, it was only about the “detour” Midi/VST-Redux
(Phrase Touch Relase was in the same week as i bought Bitwig and my Parents’ Dog died, since then have not used Renoise anymore)

Better, pls ask Raul, it’s his work

Cool I will ask Raul.

Sorry to hear about you parents dog.

I hear bitwig is nice and has some of the developer of renoise involved? Maybe that was ableton, not sure.