6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Buck

Paul Buck

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:09

How do I send midi data to an effect? Trying to mess around with a free granular effect...

Ribs, kvr link here.

https://www.kvraudio...hp?f=1&t=486995

So i can get it to work in Reaper no problem, just route a midi track to it, but still haven't figured it out in Renoise.  I even read the advanced midi routings blog post... maybe its simpler than that and I'm over thinking it?

I appreciate any help.

#2 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3490 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:06

The midi capable vst effect will produce an alias device in the instrument list. Add this alias as new instrument and send midi to it.

• Paul Buck likes this

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz
GUI Automation RecorderNative DSP Context MenuTuned ShortcutsUnified Value Shift And Transpose | Jump To From Send Modified (Docs) | Quick Template | Nisanmol's Groove Tool FixedThemes

#3 Paul Buck

Paul Buck

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 15:47

I tried this. Didn't work or I couldn't figure out how to route audio to the instrument. It triggers the buffers in Ribs, but without a sound source, nothing happens. So, if this is a solution, how do I load the vst as an alias and load an instrument in the same slot?

Edited by Paul Buck, 08 October 2018 - 16:03.

#4 dblue

dblue

Dodgy Geezer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5827 posts
  • Interests:Code. Music. Graphics.

Posted 08 October 2018 - 17:07

I know nothing about this plugin or how it's intended to work, but...

Here's a very quick demo song that at least manages to send audio into the plugin and then trigger something via MIDI notes.

Attached File  dblue-2018-10-08-ribs-demo.xrns   142.64KB   6 downloads

Note: I'm using the 32-bit version: Ribs_x86.dll
  • Paul Buck likes this

#5 Paul Buck

Paul Buck

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 17:34

Thanks a million dblue. I'll download that file as soon as I'm back in front of the computer. Hopefully I can follow what you did to make it work! ;)

Edited by Paul Buck, 08 October 2018 - 17:35.

#6 dblue

dblue

Dodgy Geezer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5827 posts
  • Interests:Code. Music. Graphics.

Posted 08 October 2018 - 17:43

Hopefully I can follow what you did to make it work! ;)

It's fairly straightforward.

You insert the VST FX onto a track as usual, then play some audio through that track.

Then go to an empty instrument slot as if you were loading a VST Synth/Instrument, but instead expand the "VST FX Alias" category at the top of the plugin list.

Insert an FX Alias for Ribs and then play your MIDI notes through that instrument.

When both the effect and instrument are working together, then you should hear something :)
  • Paul Buck likes this

#7 Paul Buck

Paul Buck

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 18:08

Ok, I see where I was going wrong now. I was loading Ribs as an effect onto a track I want mangled audio... then I was loading Ribs as an Alias in the SAME INSTRUMENT I was trying to mangle. So I just make a NEW instrument with Ribs Alias vst. Makes sense. Thanks so much, very appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: midi, granular synthesis