Can you make hats double speed in drum programming?

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out if I can make things like High Hats double speed when programming them in to track. The only way I can think to do it is to double the speed of the song, then program everything further apart, to give me the function to put some drum parts at double speed. With Ableton’s Piano roll, you can get things really close together without changing the track BPM, but I have not yet worked out if there is a way ( or Hex command ) to achieve this with Renoise. For now, Im creating another song with just drums on, or am samping my TR-08 as it has the sub-step feature on it, but . I would really like to do this all in one song session to save time, plus I don’t know if the drums will fit with the music when I am programming them outside of the track.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,.

You can double the Lines Per Beat value from 4 to 8, which will keep the BPM the same. It still requires you to space out your notes, so that may not be what you’re after.

The other option is to add another Note column to the Hi Hat track and enter a second set of notes there that have 80 in delay column to make them play between the original notes:

doublehats.png

Ahh yeah I see. That looks like a good way of doing it. Thanks, I will experiment with that. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response.

A better and easier way: use the repeat command.

FzfKYCc.png

The number will depend on your ticks per line setting for the song. In my case it’s 16, so using the repeat command with 8 means repeat the note every 8 ticks, resulting in 2 hits per line.

Retriggering like this is certainly easier, but bear in mind you won’t have control over the individual hits with this method (except for volume by changing x in -Rxy), which may or may not be OK depending on the situation.

Excellent Thanks - the retrigger command works well.

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.