• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:17

sick !

• TheBellows likes this

#3 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3521 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 18:42

Is it really upward compression?? EDIT: Oh ok, some different upward than I thought.

Edited by ffx, 22 October 2018 - 18:45.

#4 TheBellows

TheBellows

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2580 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 22 October 2018 - 22:55

Is it really upward compression?? EDIT: Oh ok, some different upward than I thought.

In a way it is compressing upwards, but with an EQ. It kinda reminds me a bit of OTT in the way it sounds. The upward and downward knobs are designed to behave similar to the ones in OTT. This is of course has no real multibands or anything, but the idea was to use an EQ to sort of mimic the parallel processing.

Edited by TheBellows, 23 October 2018 - 01:11.

#5 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • 3521 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:15

No, i think upwards compression will increase the loudness (or better volume) of the quietest parts (below threshold), while normal compression reduces the loudness of the loudest parts (above threshold). Afaik upward compression is technically not possible with renoise FX (unless you try to use the signal follower as compressor maybe). Upwards compression is not some kind of coloration. E.g. see the left section of bitwig's dynamics module.

I am just saying that naming it "upwards", seems to be misleading, because this wording commonly is used for something different in a compressor.

Edited by ffx, 23 October 2018 - 08:27.

#6 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2580 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:33

No, i think upwards compression will increase the loudness (or better volume) of the quietest parts (below threshold), while normal compression reduces the loudness of the loudest parts (above threshold). Afaik upward compression is technically not possible with renoise FX (unless you try to use the signal follower as compressor maybe). Upwards compression is not some kind of coloration. E.g. see the left section of bitwig's dynamics module.
I am just saying that naming it "upwards", seems to be misleading, because this wording commonly is used for something different in a compressor.

This doofer can increase volume of the quiet parts by using the EQ bands instead of parallel processing filtered volume bands. It does use the signal follower to emulate both types of compression at the right settings. The naming is not misleading, the effect isn't that different and it does behave somewhat similar to the ones in OTT. I do not claim that it sounds the same or works exactly the same, but this is about the closest i can get using Renoise.
This is not a regular compressor, but it does compress upwards and downwards in that sense it tells EQ to lower volume of a band if this specific frequency band is loud and it increases volume if the band frequency is quiet, but definately not like a proper compressor. 

You can't parallel process in a doofer, that's why i use EQ bands to make it measure and boost/lower specific bands on an EQ instead of the whole frequency spectrum that is volume.
You can use the signal follower to make a multiband upwards compressor if you use two or more send tracks, but then you can't turn it into a doofer. Not sure how it would sound though, i don't think the signal follower hooked up with a gainer could compare to specific compressor algorithms. 

It doesn't do a great job at proper compression or limiting, but it could help add some punch and color the audio. I find that the free VST Limiter 6 is great as a companion for this, its protection limiter at the end sounds pretty much transparent.

Edited by TheBellows, 23 October 2018 - 13:35.

#7 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

• Normal Members
  • 3521 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:47

Oh wow, then I have re try it and try better. Yeah not having a sidechain or parallel flow is a huge limitation. I would be happy already with a single band upward s compressor natively in renoise. Do you use then 3 signal followers, or one?

#8 Guest_ffx_*

Guest_ffx_*

• Normal Members
  • 3521 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:55

Ok now i geddit. Works quite nice, only I cannot seem to be able to achieve that typical compressed sound, so quite part become louder obviously. Do I use it in a wrong way?

#9 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2580 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 16:07

The attack and decay is very important to achieve the effect, try with some attack. It also depends on the amplitude of the input audio and also the general sound of the input as in how much of the frequencies it detects. The upwards and downwards knob should turn clockwise. I suggest looking at the first doofer inside the doofer, it's a 5 band wide boost narrow cut doofer i posted earlier, you can see how it reacts on the sound and then you can adjust accordingly.

Edit: i do think it could need some adjustments, it doesn't seem to behave exactly like i want. I'll probably make some different versions of it in the future. I think some of the problem is that the EQ is too slow, maybe i'll try using the multitap delay to see if i can do a more responsive version with that, but i doubt it will turn out all that great.

Edited by TheBellows, 25 October 2018 - 14:14.

• Guest_ffx_* likes this