#1 xerxes

xerxes

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:17

Hi all!

I was wondering if it would be possible to script the following for the browser:

If I have a main folder called "drums" - with two subfolders "kick" and "snare" - is it possible to show all the files (wav) in both folders when you are in the "drums" folder? This would be really brilliant and save a lot of time going in and out of folders. Bitwig works this way - as far as I know it is the only DAW that does this.

Cheers :)

Klaus

www.xerxes-music.com

#2 joule

joule

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1863 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:01

It's not possible to script it. The API doesn't give access to anything within the file browser.

Some kind of 3rd party browser would be possible to make, but that's quite a bit of work for something that's very specific.

#3 xerxes

xerxes

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:21

Thank you, joule. I know ADSR made a sample manager - I dont know how well that will work in Renoise, so will have to try it out. Will it let me drag samples into the instrument browser for instance.

Off topic - I love your place selected notes evenly script. Thank you very much for that!

www.xerxes-music.com

#4 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7009 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 16 November 2018 - 14:38

I know ADSR made a sample manager - I dont know how well that will work in Renoise, so will have to try it out. 

It's not folder based, so a different kind of beast.

If you want both "tags" (well, machine-learning based classification) and recursive folders with filtering, Sononym is a good choice.

Not free though, but you can pick it up for half price next week  :)

Oh, and I made a tool that integrates Sononym more closely with Renoise, too. 

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#5 m.arthur

m.arthur

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:EBM, IDM, industrial, radiophonic & beyond

Posted 16 November 2018 - 18:25

Hi all!

I was wondering if it would be possible to script the following for the browser:

If I have a main folder called "drums" - with two subfolders "kick" and "snare" - is it possible to show all the files (wav) in both folders when you are in the "drums" folder? This would be really brilliant and save a lot of time going in and out of folders. Bitwig works this way - as far as I know it is the only DAW that does this.

Cheers 

This is usually referred to as giving "deep results" -- showing the contents of all folders inside the selected folder. Cubase has this, so it's not just Bitwig. Funny thing re: Renoise is that when you open the browser for the Instruments (not from the right-side browser, but from the instrument loader itself up top) it *does* show deep results for folders. So, the tech is there, apparently....

Edited by m.arthur, 16 November 2018 - 18:26.

• xerxes likes this

old-school industrial music:  dead when i found her

#6 xerxes

xerxes

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:03

This is usually referred to as giving "deep results" -- showing the contents of all folders inside the selected folder. Cubase has this, so it's not just Bitwig. Funny thing re: Renoise is that when you open the browser for the Instruments (not from the right-side browser, but from the instrument loader itself up top) it *does* show deep results for folders. So, the tech is there, apparently....

Can someone smart and less drunk comment on this?

NOT AT ALL saying you are not smart ofcourse :) Just looking for a good solution..

www.xerxes-music.com

#7 4Tey

4Tey

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 16:37

Can someone smart and less drunk comment on this?

I think m.arthur might be referencing the instrument preset list drop down?  When you click on 'Bundled Content' it consolidates the preset folders into one list.  Closer, but probably not completely/ideally what you want.  Shame you can't put a 'regex' in the search/filter box (or maybe all search/filter boxes for that matter.)  Just guessing, not drunk, but I suppose I'm just naturally stupid :)

• danoise likes this

#8 m.arthur

m.arthur

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:EBM, IDM, industrial, radiophonic & beyond

Posted 17 November 2018 - 20:21

Yes, the instrument loader  -- it shows deep results. Your example 4Tey is just showing the factory library, but it also works on User content, see my pic -- note that It's showing all the contents of the "beatslaughter" folder (and everything else, too) even though that folder is not the selected folder, the "User" folder is. Thus, all "deep results", e.g. the contents of Folders inside the User folder, are actually being shown. Pretty sure this is what the OP was wanting...

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 11.19.39 AM.png

old-school industrial music:  dead when i found her

#9 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7009 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 18 November 2018 - 16:42

Wow, pretty serious user library you got going there!!

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#10 xerxes

xerxes

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:03

Yes, the instrument loader  -- it shows deep results. Your example 4Tey is just showing the factory library, but it also works on User content, see my pic -- note that It's showing all the contents of the "beatslaughter" folder (and everything else, too) even though that folder is not the selected folder, the "User" folder is. Thus, all "deep results", e.g. the contents of Folders inside the User folder, are actually being shown. Pretty sure this is what the OP was wanting...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-17 at 11.19.39 AM.png

Yes!! This is exactly what I am looking for :) So if it is possible there - should also be possible in the Sample Browser, yes?

www.xerxes-music.com

#11 xerxes

xerxes

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:12

It's not folder based, so a different kind of beast.

If you want both "tags" (well, machine-learning based classification) and recursive folders with filtering, Sononym is a good choice.

Not free though, but you can pick it up for half price next week  :)

Oh, and I made a tool that integrates Sononym more closely with Renoise, too. 

Thank you, Danoise! Definitly checking out Sononym - looks really amazing, and with your tool maybe it is exactly what I am looking for.

www.xerxes-music.com