New Tool (3.1) EXS24

I’ve written a tool for loading Logic EXS24 format instruments into the Renoise sampler. I started by updating the existing Additional File Formats Tool to work with Renoise 3.1 but ended up writing a new tool from scratch specifically for .exs files.

Once the tool is installed .exs instruments should be visible in the sidebar. Clicking on the instrument will load it just like a native Renoise instrument.

The tool will attempt to load the samples automatically. If the sample path cannot be determined you will be prompted to select the folder.

This tool can currently map the following properties for zones and samples:

• name
  • fine tune
  • panning
  • oneshot
  • base note
  • note range
  • velocity range
  • loop start
  • loop end
  • loop reverse

I don’t have a copy of Logic so I’ve only been able to test this tool with existing .exs files. The exs file format isn’t documented either. As a result I’m not 100% positive all of the parameter parsing is correct. That being said it seems to be working correctly with the files I have tested.

The source code is available on Github. Please open an issue if you encounter a bug. Until I am approved as a Renoise tool developer you can download this tool from the releases page.

Great, thanks. Does the Renoise API also provide a way to make .exs files preview-able?

Do you mean something similar to the way you can expand a xrni instrument and preview the individual samples in it? I don’t think so. The docs say ‘Preloading/prehearing sample files is not supported via tools.’ However once you have loaded the .exs instrument you can preview individual samples in the sample list.

The tool is now published: http://www.renoise.com/node/858

Just want to thank you for the tool. You’ve saved me a lot of time.

Yes, very nice - thanx a lot!!

I’m getting the following error when trying to load an EXS patch having this tool installed:

"…Renoise\V3.1.1\Scripts\Tools\com.matta.exs24.xrnx’ failed to execute in one of its file import hooks.

Please contact the author (Matt Allan [mattallan@fastmail.com]) for assistance…

main.lua:121: attempt to perform arithmetic on local ‘last_slash_pos’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
main.lua:121: in function main.lua:97"

Using PC, will try with mac later

i get the exact same :confused:

It looks like it’s getting stuck trying to split the filename from the path since it’s checking for / and Windows uses \.

The automatic sample location probably won’t work on Windows either since all of the Logic / Garageband conventions are Mac specific. You will need to manually select the sample folder.

I opened a Github issue here.

How do I use this exactly? I have installed Logic, Renoise and this plugin but I can’t find any exs24 instruments in the Renoise interface.

If you navigate to the folder containing the .exs files they should be visible in the sidebar.

Hi, love this tool on Mac, any hope it will be fixed on Windows in future? Thanks.

Hello,

I would like to support Windows but I don’t have a Windows machine to test on. I’ve attempted a patch here: https://github.com/matt-allan/renoise-exs24/pull/2. If someone with a Windows machine could test the attached zip file and let me know if it works I can merge the change and cut a new release.

has anyone tried this patch im not near my computer today ? this is something i could really use , kontakt nkis would be good aswell it
would open up new possibilities to what we could buy theres a lot of free pianos ans things out there for exs24 and kontakt cheer mattya

i really wanna open these
on windows

tried it on windows doesn’t work would anyone on mac be able to save the files as xrni ?

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 02.02.31
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 02.02.52

Hi, just tried to load exs on mac, not working for me…

1 Like

Same for me.
I have tried a bunch of different EXS samples.
Good to see I’m not the only one.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 21.34.20

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 21.34.26