Linux Version

It i spossible to see the linux version of rn? its looking great. and its needed.
best regards.

There were reports of Renoise working in WinE, but this is ofcourse nothing compared to when it would run in it’s own native environment.

Looks like the public interest in the Linux version is at least as big as it was in MacOS/X version back than ;).

One thing is for sure: if a decent (which means: with full JACK, LADSPA and FST support) Linux version gets ever produced, you can trust in me as a dedicated beta-tester :D

Hum, Renoise on XBOX… :P

… i like linux …

A question just out of interest (and since I’m a linux noob)…

How many apps are there out there supporting JACK/LADSPA?

Currently there are almost no music applications for Linux that don’t support it. Jack is a complete standard, which makes it more powerful than for example ReWire (well, actually Jack IS more powerful than ReWire).

Some apps, like Ardour, Jamin, require Jack to run. If you turn jack off when working with Ardour it will scream after it, Jamin will just disappear.

That’s why i said:“but this is ofcourse nothing compared to when it would run in it’s own native environment.”
It’s the same, but then in only one line :P

I’m studing linux, and I wish I new more about it. :(

there is so much info on linux, it’s overwhelming. :blink: But I’ll get there

Thanks!

For LADSPA I found a small list on the official page, but I guess there are more than these. Still it cannot be compared to VST atm I guess.

We really shouldn’t forget about the FST library which is a much more comfortable way of running VSTs on Linux. ;)

The only thing that I can promise about an Linux port, is that if someone wants to help us doing a Linux port, he is welcome in our team.
Doing the port will also be quite easy, as we have cleaned up a lot of dependencies for the Mac OS X port.
So if you want to help, are able to do so (you should be a experienced programmer, no newbie that has never worked in a big project), have time (can finish the port in this life), contact us.

me 2!

but you figure, “realistically”,

if renoise was ported to work with linux, then there goes any kind of revenue from that side. so it would be useless to try to sell it to linux ppl.

but for me it would be a little different, i totally believe in supporting what i believe in an renoise is one of those things i believe in…
one of the main reasons i use windows anymore is because of the sound apps… soundtracker and cheesetracker just dont do it for me. or i would probably spend more time in linux.
but now if renoise just so happened to turn into a .deb package, oooo man that would be dope!

but of course then the devs would have to rely on donations instead of a retail price for the nix version.

i am one to believe that in the future the only software worth paying for, will be opensource, but until then renoise is worth every penny.
you can quote me on that :D

thats a great idea using the Nyquist scripts :)

Scripts, blah blah blah… :D

I only want a decent Linux version of Renoise that works the way it should (unlike Sk@le).

Hi!

A bit off topic, but if you’re running linux and wan’t to have a new toy to play around with until (or if) there is a linux
version of Renoise check this page out : Wired for Linux

Not a tracker and still under development …

Or have a look at this page : LinuxMusician

Cheers

Anders Kallander

Wow… Wired supports AKAI cd’s…
Just a pity you have to compile the source yourself…

(not for the beginner)

Well, Jenner…

Usually that supposed to be the usual way of getting things accomplished.

But once you get errors about missing libraries during (even when you did a make mrproper) the make dep process… Things do not go as being explained at the site and from several corners you do get a shipload of answer what you could attempt to do to fix the problem, if you request support and when eventually nothing works out and someone else turns out to be so kind to compile the binary edition for you. (or nobody cares to go that far and you have to find an alternate or even complete different solution)

If Linux ppl want to understand why still not everyone is using Linux today yet it is because amongst others those reasons.
And ofcourse, you have many Linux distributions, so it’s easier to offer just the source distribution rather than compiling 15 to 20 different compilations so each of them runs best in it’s native Linux distribution.
But that is one of the major flaws i consider with Linux.
There are IMHO too many flavors and too many differences in structures.
Even when claimed that the kernel is the same everywhere, the kernel is actually not the same everywhere.

For as long as i know Linux and i had to deal with source binaries…
There was not one source package i could actually compile according the README and the readme was just as general as any other in the source-distribution:
make clean (or make mrproper)
make
make install

Not one time, did it worked as simple as was written and i’ve been working with RedHat and Debian based packages, installed the whole Linux edition with all it’s options on the harddisk to have all libraries and development environment installed, yet still no satisfactory results.
Maybe i’m just dumb… but i’m not the only one…

I’m very happy you were lucky that everything worked out so great everytime.

Missing ocx libraries and dll’s :Yes i had them.
But once found, the problem was resolved.
I may had to place the libraries in a specific system folder.
But other than WINDOWS or WINNT i didn’t need to look for.

However with Linux, if i could find the right libraries, i still had loads of error reports about missing routines or variables in header files and missing .c-sources.
And then i seem to have either a too new development environment or a too old one. (figuring out by requesting support upon the boards ofcourse)
Downgrading is much simpler than upgrading.

You have these handy dandy upgrade-features in a couple of distributions, but they black out if they do not update to the latest package you require.
Then you have to do this manually (again) and have to go through a whole lot of reading (again) only to figure out that your still not have things straightened out yet…
Why not? Because dev-environments were written for specific or general linux distributions, the documents declare where you should put your files, but the documents do not count on the fact that the linux distrubtion you have is totally different in file and folder-structure than the one they consider you to have.
(instead of /home/www/html/ it’s /home/httpd/html or even /usr/www/html or whatever, and much more of that kind of deviations)

And that’s not even the worst side of Linux yet…

If i want to use a traffic shaping utility in Linux, i end up making attempts to recompile the kernel simply because the kernel config was not prepared to handle HTB package shaping.

Did you ever with Windows had an application that required recompilation of kernel components “just” because it wasn’t compiled to handle application requests that way by default?
Don’t think so.

If one knows all this stuff:it’s great.
If you are a beginner, the stairs to learn things from start are a very long climb.
Everything is related and you can’t use one without the other. In a lot occasions you are forced to deal with matters you don’t want to deal with and they usually take a lot longer to solve it than i have a quirk with a Windows application that won’t install fine the first time.

No not really, but those other than M$ who can are mostly labeled as hackers and crackers. It’s why we have to deal with so many virusses, because some ppl seem to poses the urge to tell the world that Windows is yet not secured enough. (As if we have enough extra bandwidth to spare for virusses to filthen it with… The internet would be a lot faster without them)

To end this complete part from a different angle, because i made it actually look like i favor windows above Linux, which is not true actually.
But i like to keep such discussions going on to tell the Linux community (and i do it on a lot of other places too) that there are a lot less smart people around that probably can’t deal with undocumented situations.
The situations themselves are not undocumented, but the reference to the solution is not always there in case such troubles come forward.
And the Linux world has the best potential to improve itself in a very quick time at which Windows shall not improve other than security wise (because they are forced to).

I favor Windows for it’s simplicity and dealing with a lot of stuff as much as possible to make it easier for end-users to work with the product and don’t have to deal with the hassles. For the majority of applciations in Windows, this really works out this way.
I favor Linux for it’s freedom of use and manipulation and good sens of security and it has a lot of good stuff.

If one should want to make the switch from Windows to Linux, the switch should be total (and abandon specific Windows-only ware to use alternative Linux software instead). It’s similar to overcoming a jet-lag and getting adjusted.

Agreed.