Need A Pc / Laptop

Hi there,

I am searching for a cheap but fast (at least 1.5 GHz) PC or laptop for a good price. As I hate ebay and I do not now which Sys-Specs are good enough for renoising I wanted to know if anybody of you has a Cheap and used PC (without monitor) available.

My PC always STOPS with Windows Subsytem Error 0x000024 errors and I dunno why this happens

It may be your harddrive that is slowly dying or your HDD cable is defective or your IDE controller.

It is cheaper to replace your harddisk than buy a new system.
If your onboard IDE controller is defective, it is cheaper to buy an SATA pci controller and an SATA hdd than upgrading your system.
Plus SATA is a faster drive system.

0x00000023 or 0x00000024 - NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

Error Message Restarting After Install PC-Magic Encrypted Magic Folders

When you restart your computer after you install new software or drivers, you may receive one of the following error messages on a blue screen STOP: 0x23 (0x000e0100, 0xf466a978, 0xf466a678, 0xf87c7625) or STOP: 0x24 (0x000e0100, 0xf466a978, 0xf466a678, 0xf87c7625) NOTE: The preceding parameters may vary according to the configuration of your computer.

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (TechNet article)

The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

depends on what you consider as “cheap”.
however, i’m currently thinking about selling one of my three PCs.
specifications are as follows:

CPU: Pentium 4-C 2.8Ghz, M0 Stepping
MOBO: DFI Lanparty 875B Pro
RAM: 1024 MB Samsung DDR PC3200, Dual Channel
HDD: 160GB Samsung Spinpoint, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, Ultra ATA 133
DVD: Sony DRU-510A (DVD+/-R(W) Writer[4x DVD / 24x CDR])
GFX: nVidia Geforce Ti-4200 128MB, Passive Heatpipe Cooling (noiseless)
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper6, Heatpipe Heatsink + LowNoise 80mm Fan
CASE: Avance Midi-B031 (Titan Surface)
LAN: Onboard 1000Mbit/s LAN via CSA (won’t saturate southbridge)
SOUND: Onboard 6.1, ASIO4ALL capable ;)
PSU: Enermax 350W Dual Fan (92+80mm)
FLOPPY: yup =)

system runs prime-stable, features five fanbus-controlled intake & exhaust fans, is VERY silent and is still a very good performer.
CPU will also take 3,32Ghz without inreasing the Vcore.

i was aiming for 550EUR for this.

I also had in mind that there’s something wrong with the IDE-Cable but I never tried another one :)

Keith:

I have to wait until my cheque comes :)

if you have windows XP then you have to get used to some stop errors and some sudden system restarts out of the nowhere every now and then :lol:

Windos 2000 is much more stable IMO.
(BTW i work as an IT admin so i’m not talking only about experiences with my comp)

This might explain the high error-rate in my HDD-Diagnosis tool.

D’oh

i don’t want this to become an off-topic discussion, but i just can’t agree with that. :)
there are millions of PCs running XP that do not exhibit that odd behaviour and instability - my three rigs including.
one of them is running 24/7, hosting an FTP server plus doing some P2P and intermittent video encoding - that machine has currently an uptime of 23 days, 2 hours and a few minutes. i also had it running for more than one month without a hiccup and the only reason it sometimes needs a reboot is the fact that some software updates require to do so.
i know a month is not THAT long compared to some uptimes in the professional server world, but still this is the very same win xp you’re talking about and it can operate for a relatively long time without a malfunction, under constant stress that is.

in my opinion most (if not all) crashes are related to weak drivers, defective hardware, hardware being operated beyond its specification (be it clock- or temperaturewise) or just a user that ain’t capable of maintaining his system properly (e.g.: “hey let’s do registry-tweak xyz and see what happens…”)

i’m not saying that all Win XP-s will crash and dont work. Of course there are many XP systems that dont have any problems.

All i say, from my many years experience as an IT administrator/tech support, is that i have had much more stability problems with XP than with 2000. I also have run into many cases where the last resort solution i could come up with was infact to replace XP with 2000 and everything worked perfectly since…

I agree though that as time passes and XP gets more “old/mature” the things are getting better (or at least i hope so)

EDIT: yeah i agree that most crashes are related with hardware/drivers but still, if some situation makes XP crash (even if its not “XP-s fault”) while 2000 tolerates it, then thats what i would call 2000 being more stable :)

But i do admit that part of the XP problems i have had may be related to hardware being not so new and maybe some compatibility issues… Although i have had XP problems with brand new systems (with “designed for XP” logo) also quite a bit

i use xp and before that i used 2000
i could go 3 months + -without- needing to “reboot” while i was using 2000
---------------i am completely serious---------------
i was also astonished when i looked at how long i had the os installed for and it was 17 months and no reason to need to reinstall.
after conversations with friends ive also come to learn this:
if you have sdram use 2000!
if you have ddr you can use xp, but only if you want too!
back years ago i was the type of guy that absolutely refused to run 98
i went from 95 str8 to 2000 and used 2000 on a 350 k62,fic mainboard, w/512 L2 cache and 190 sumthin mbs of sdram, 2000 ran flawlessly…
tho when i upgraded to a 1.4ghz, asus mobo, 512 of ddr i was highly impressed
only real reason i switched to xp was because of stability issues within max/msp
oh yeah and being able to use the pretty themes decor like keramic4 of course!
(only ppl who use or used kde3 would know what im talking about there)
btw dopefish i highly reccomend www.newegg.com the user reviews are A+

also you can never go wrong if you get something that has a high user review rating.

if i was you tho which of course im not but building your own comp has so many advantages.
besides learning how things work, you can buy pieces at a time, for instance you could get a motherboard with onboard video/audio, some ddr ram (512),
a cpu (not OEM cuz then you wont usually get a heatsink,fan and DECALs!) a harddrive,you can get a case for about 40-60, a good power supply from newegg or ebay (400-500 watt) make sure your cpu, ram & hardrive type match the motherboard also.
be carefull with the cpu when putting it in its slot and even get some arctic silver thermal compund to put between the cpu and heatsink.
make sure that if the mobo or case come with these little copper colored paper washer looking things that you do use them! or you might get grouding issues and fry some shit. (every electronic component contains smoke inside it… the key is to never see that smoke!)
most of it is self explanitory. theres also a techtv video about DIY comp building, around the net. if your not too sure about building your own, after seeing that, you come to realize that anyone with opposable thumbs and common sense can build one.
one more thing too. after you have built your own pc you begin to understand where your computer problems are coming from and how to solve them.

that reminds me of one server i set up. Everything was fine, but i started to smell some smoke. At the beginnng i wasnt sure what is it and thought that this is propably the new hardware thing (when you can smell something similar when you swich on something for a first time)

But as the smell got stronger and stronger i realized that something is wrong here and something is burning sowhere… I opened the servers case and i saw the smoke literally coming out (from a brand new HP/Compaq server). I quickly removed the power cord (didnt had time to shut down :) )

After exploring what happend i discovered that it was a bad SCSI cable fault. The cable was bent and ducktaped (in the factory) so hard that somehow it got short circuited and the CSCI cable went on fire.

After replacing the cable everything was OK (still wondering how MOBO survived it :))

trackit,
about more people asking for tech support on XP then 2000, don’t you think that has something to do with XP being bundled on most systems and 2000 being something mostly advanded users decide to use?

Just upgrade XP up to SP1, forget about SP2 and all wil be fine.

SP2 is the biggest troublemaker.

For those who consider their XP environment working perfectly with SP2, you don’t know about the various hidden limitations within SP2 that cut down speeds in various aspects (and i mean performance decreament on areas where microsoft should not put their noses in.)
I boycot it massively and degrade it whenever i bump into PC’s with SP2. Just update the most required security packs and manually adjust the firewall settings, that will be it.

And another fact that XP is obvious related to trouble compared to Windows 2000 is that win2k is rather used in Business environments and better secured. (Though Linux people will laugh at that incredibly hard, but for Microsoft Standards, Win2k is pretty secure)