pulsar

Big Super Masta Member

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:peeking and poking

Posted 24 July 2005 - 21:42

Good news, everyone!

A new Renoise version has been made available! At the moment this version is available to registered users only. Public versions of the Renoise 1.5.1 release will be made available in a few days. If you are going to upgrade your version to 1.5.1 registered, do not forget to install Renoise 1.5.1 Demo first. Renoise 1.5.1 Demo-version downloads are available on the licence agreement page shown right before you can start the download of the registered version.

So, what is new in this release? First we have some OS-X related improvements. One of the greatest enhancements is the faster GUI – which comes at a cost. You need to update your Panther to the version 10.3.9, Tiger users do not need to worry. The update can be done by using the “Software Update” applet available on every OS-X setup or via the web by downloading the Combined Update:

http://www.apple.com...update1039.html

Furthermore, we have updated the backstage-area with the long awaited feature-voting section. We have collected the most requested features from the community and assembled them into a survey. Everyone with a valid Renoise licence can participate. The results will be made public on Aug. 24, 2005. Let us explain how it how this voting system works:

Every participant is given a certain amount of virtual credits which he can spend on several features. Each feature can be given an importance ranking by choosing from “No vote”, “Sounds useful”, “That would definitely be an improvement”, “This is very important” and “This is a must-have feature”. The more important a feature is to you, the more it will cost you. More precisely, the features cost 0,2,4 and 8 credits and you will be given a total amount of 80 virtual credits. This is 40% less than the sum of all features when voted with the maximum weight (“this is a must-have-feature”).

So, you have once again the opportunity to influence in which way Renoise will advance.

Change log:

- OSX: Improved compatibility for OS X Tiger.

+- OSX: The OS X version will now save a crash-backup when
something bad happens and Renoise unexpectedly quits. You
will hopefully never need this feature, but it is good
to be on the safe side, isn’t it? The crash-backups are
saved at
"~/Library/Preferences/Renoise/VERSION/CrashBackups"

+- Major GUI performance improvements, especially on OS X

+- Some minor audio engine performance improvements

+- Ghost notes: Renoise now supports "Ghost notes", a feature
you might already know from FT II or other trackers: When
using instrument envelopes, you can
prevent the retriggering of the corresponding envelope(s) by
removing the instrument number value in the pattern like
this:

C-4 01 .. 0000 -> this will trigger instrument nr. 01
--- .. .. 0000
D-4 .. .. 0000 -> so will this, but the envelopes

// pulsar, renoise slave

#2 Rick Hoekman

Rick Hoekman

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 21:49

Awesome :w00t:

edit: I just logged on to backstage.renoise.com and it says in the left top of the page: WORK DOMAIN! And the downloads are still pre-builds? Just wondering if I logged on to the right place :huh: well I guess I am cause I could vote ;)

#3 dby

dby

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 22:02

Wow, that's great! :yeah:

Aw, no multipattern feature to vote for. :(
See arranger topic

Edit: I have points left to spend, can I put 30 on multipattern? :lol:

#4 pulsar

pulsar

Big Super Masta Member

• Admins
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 22:12

Awesome  :w00t:

edit: I just logged on to backstage.renoise.com and it says in the left top of the page: WORK DOMAIN! And the downloads are still pre-builds? Just wondering if I logged on to the right place  :huh: well I guess I am cause I could vote  ;)

thanks for the hint, i have fixed the problem. The server was still configrued for the development mode. And yes, beta is correct since it *may* contain serious bugs we did not discover yet.
// pulsar, renoise slave

#5 jiku

jiku

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:(Synthetic and molecular) biology, science theory, ontology, music, illustration, ++

Posted 24 July 2005 - 23:30

About recording, it says recording in sample editor. Will this mean that it's not possible to record in time with a pattern playing, and then have that align perfectly with the pattern? Meaning it would be a recording function akin to the one in FT2, i.e. one that is not usable for (multi)tracking.

I mean, from what I remember, the meta device idea for recording to an instrument/sample slot was the one that gained most votes before, so this seems a little weird.

Mac Mini Late 2012, OS X 10.10.2, UAD Apollo Quad

Spoiler

#6 pulsar

pulsar

Big Super Masta Member

• Admins
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 23:44

The record feature you can vote for is not related to a audio-track recording. This feature is way more complicated than it seems in the first place (unfortunately). But it is still something we can talk about for future releases.
// pulsar, renoise slave

#7 Pysj

Pysj

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 23:46

Great work guys. This should be interesting :)

But like hcys the feature I really miss in the voting is streaming of files.
Is that to be included in recording in sampleditor, or in arranger, or even in better RNI?
Or is it out of the question as a renoise feature? :ph34r:

:yeah:
-pysj

#8 jiku

jiku

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:(Synthetic and molecular) biology, science theory, ontology, music, illustration, ++

Posted 25 July 2005 - 00:02

pulsar, ok I understand. If ASIO input does get implemented, energyXT could be used for audio track recording, so that would be a good workaround. Considering the price of eXT it might even be a long-term solution. ;)

Mac Mini Late 2012, OS X 10.10.2, UAD Apollo Quad

Spoiler

#9 Guest_Guest_choice_*

Guest_Guest_choice_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:15

[mac] demo works fine or at least loads, but after regging, it creates another alias called renoise_demo and then renoise does not load.
upon running the alias "renoise" it loads a blank screen the same size as the logo and then crashes.

i tried both installing over my previous installation, and a fresh install. both come with the same effect.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:32

i forgot to mention the vst crash screen comes up after the blank logo screen.
i removed all vsts from the plugins folder to a temp and still the same effect.
the log:

==============================================================
Version   : Renoise V1.5.1
Builddate : Jul 24 2005
==============================================================

Startup: in gMain()

CoreAudio: ======== device enumeration: 1 of 1 ========
CoreAudio: --- Device information ---
CoreAudio: Driver name: Apple: Built-in Audio
CoreAudio: SampleRate: 44100.000000
CoreAudio: mFormatID: 'lpcm'
CoreAudio: Flags: 0x       B
CoreAudio: Bytes per packet: 8
CoreAudio: Frames per packet: 1
CoreAudio: Bytes per frame: 8
CoreAudio: Channels per frame: 2
CoreAudio: Bits per channel: 32
CoreAudio: Device audio buffers:
CoreAudio: Number of buffers: 1
CoreAudio: -- Buffer 0 --
CoreAudio: Number of channels: 2
CoreAudio: Size in bytes: 4096
CoreAudio: Total number of channels: 2

Player: Constructing
Player: Initializing statics
Player: Initializing subcomponents
Player: Attaching to the document
Player: Constructing finished

GUI: Constructing the mainframeview
GUI: Constructing all subviews

MainLoop: Caught an unhandled exception in the GUI

#11 yoki

yoki

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:49

if the rewire-slave-support is built in, then you can record and play audiotracks in a rewire-master, that's enough for me ;) vote for rewire!!

#12 Weird Energy

Weird Energy

• Normal Members
  • 1374 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:48

great :yeah:

only it seems to me that we have too much credits to spend :) we can vote "must have" to most features :)

EDIT: and can you add there "proper freez function"? plizzzzzzzz :w00t:

;)

#13 Tom de Rooy

Tom de Rooy

• Normal Members
  • 2429 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:58

nice! B)

#14 pulsar

pulsar

Big Super Masta Member

• Admins
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:10

i forgot to mention the vst crash screen comes up after the blank logo screen. (...)

which os x variant are you using exactly ? If it is Panther, did you update to 10.3.9 ?
// pulsar, renoise slave

#15 pulsar

pulsar

Big Super Masta Member

• Admins
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:15

great  :yeah:
only it seems to me that we have too much credits to spend :)  we can vote "must have" to most features :)
EDIT: and can you add there "proper freez function"? plizzzzzzzz     :w00t:
;)

Unfortunately adding or removing options from a survey or a voting after it has started is not possible (actually it is, but it would falsify the current votes). And maybe you are right, 80 Credits may be too much, but i am sure there will be a second voting with the top 5 winners of this voting to get more detailed results.
// pulsar, renoise slave

#16 ermi

ermi

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:21

Nice, indeed! :)

Now, I have a few questions about the voting options. I just want to be sure about their meaning...
If you have a link to a thread about any of these, that's nice.

"A Renoise VST plug" means Renoise as a VSTi, right?

"Improved Instrument (RNI) structure". Like, layers and stuff...?

"Sub-tick timing". What's this useful for? More precision/resolution than a tick?

"More (and more complex) MIDI mappings". This would be used also for controlling the commands in Renoise itself, not only VSTis, right?

#17 samu

samu

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:30

i forgot to mention the vst crash screen comes up after the blank logo screen. (...)

which os x variant are you using exactly ? If it is Panther, did you update to 10.3.9 ?

I have the same problem running 10.4.2, ie. blank startupscreen and then a crash.

The 'Demo' version works fine, but after i run the 'updater' to get the fullversion something gets really f****upp here.

#18 It-Alien

It-Alien

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:34

ermi, you're right on all of 4
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#19 pulsar

pulsar

Big Super Masta Member

• Admins
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:41

I have the same problem running 10.4.2, ie. blank startupscreen and then a crash.

The 'Demo' version works fine, but after i run the 'updater' to get the fullversion something gets really f****upp here.

thanks for the info.

Right now you will need to stay with 1.5 finl then. Unfortunately next update wont be available before the beginning of august - taktik is on vaccactions and i am not familiar with the mac code :(

Meanwhile i will be collecting all bugreports and try to find similarities here.
// pulsar, renoise slave

#20 Eran Dax Lonker

Eran Dax Lonker

• Normal Members
  • 1248 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:05

thanx for the update ... seems that 1.5.1. loads songs a little faster ... :)

please devs don't forget the unfinished mid-import/export feature of Renoise in future versions.

#21 ermi

ermi

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:27

Ok, so, what do you think are the pros/cons of having Renoise connected to Cubase (or similar) as a VSTi instead of ReWire?

I guess with ReWire (I never used it) Renoise would be able to work exactly as standalone, right?

With VSTi you'd need to have the host open. That's for sure.
And then, as a VSTi, would Renoise have all the features, like: full screen, keyboard shortcuts, VSTis inside Renoise, ...?

#22 Parsifal

Parsifal

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:00

I'm sad to see that there is no option for voting for support for samples in lossless formats (FLAC, Wavpack etc), since that would be my no 1 vote (besides sub-tick timing). Oh well, thanks for the update! :)

#23 Guest_dEViLOCk_*

Guest_dEViLOCk_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:40

thanks for the info.

Right now you will need to stay with 1.5 finl then. Unfortunately next update wont be available before the beginning of august - taktik is on vaccactions and i am not familiar with the mac code :(

Meanwhile i will be collecting all bugreports and try to find similarities here.

...same problem in os x tiger 10.4.2
i think it's because i can't download demo 1.5.1 - there's always the login screen coming up
again when i click on the download link. when i'm logged in again then, the backstage
homepage comes up - no download.
i installed demo 1.5 final then and upgraded to 1.5.1 registered. i think that's the problem...

#24 pulsar

pulsar

Big Super Masta Member

• Admins
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:45

...same problem in os x tiger 10.4.2
i think it's because i can't download demo 1.5.1 - there's always the login screen coming up
again when i click on the download link. when i'm logged in again then, the backstage
homepage comes up - no download.
i installed demo 1.5 final then and upgraded to 1.5.1 registered. i think that's the problem...

this might be the problem, indeed. Never update a demo version with an registered one when the versions does not match exactly.

i am aware of some problems with safair when using the backstage area, i will try to reproduce this bug today and come up with an solution. Until now you will probably have to use mozilla or similar (AFAIR camino)
// pulsar, renoise slave

#25 ermi

ermi

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:59

There appears to be a bug with the "favourites" boxes for browsing for songs. If I hold the pointer it shows the exact path, but when I click it goes somewhere else, like:
On "1" I have "d:/audiosw/renoise/songs". If I click and it goes just to d:.

I have 3 favourites boxes, one of them ("2") works fine, "1" and "3" no.

This happens just with 1.5.1.
I uninstalled the 1.5 and it's the same.

Can someone confirm?