Cells! Preview

Public beta has been released. Read/download here

Cells! is a real-time performance tool for Renoise. It enables users to trigger samples quantized and synced to tempo.

Video from Beta 1 (See below for later video):

Note: The screen capture application makes the GUI a bit more sluggish than it really is. Also the audio and video go out of sync towards the end.

Current status is beta 4 and shows some of the new features added since the video:

The current feature list includes:

• Quantized triggering of cells (4 beats, 2 beats, 1 beat, 1/2 beat, 1/4 beat)

• Realtime tempo adjustment of playing cells

• Beat position indicator

• Seperate audio outputs for main playback and cueing

• Multiple playback tracks

• Each playback track has the following:

• Multiple playback cells (with tooltip if full sample name and length in beats)

• Current cell playback position indicator [new]

• Volume control (with tooltip of current value)

• Panning control (with tooltip of current value)

• Resonant filter [updated]

• Bass kill switch

• Selectable routing to ‘A’ or ‘B’

• Mute button

• Send to cue audio out

Samples are stored in instruments and can be loaded / unloaded while Cells! is running
Cells can be either one-shot or looping playback mode [new]
Crossfader for mixing between ‘A’ and ‘B’ sources
Crossfader cut buttons (non-latching) for ‘DJ-style’ cuts and drops [new]
Main playback and cue output volume controls
BPM control
Tempo nudge up and down for mixing into/out of other sources [new]
Extensive midi maps (over 230 functions and counting) [new]
User specified number of tracks (6 to 16 tracks; default of 8) [new]
User specified number of cells per track (6 to 16 cells per track; default of 8) [new]
Equal redistribution of ‘A’ and ‘B’ tracks (left half of tracks get set to ‘A’, right half to ‘B’) [new]

Note that some features have been added/changed since the video. These have been identified with [new] or [updated] as required.

Despite the large feature list, Cells! remains CPU efficient. To give you an idea of how well it works: I can run 12 tracks of Cells! in realtime on an Atom netbook with only 512mb of ram and using the internal sound card. This was on the Linux version of Renoise.

Many thanks to Void Pointer for making the following video for me with Beta 4.1:

It shows the newer features (e.g loop position indicators and one-shot samples) and has much better audio/video sync.

Featured on CreateDigitalMusic: read

Coming ‘soon’…

edit: soon…

No more need for Ableton. BRILLIANT!

you’re building Ableton Live in Renoise? :D
all joking aside, that looks pretty damn amazing. i can’t imagine the amount of work you put into that :)

Holy shit. Crazy!

now what i am wondering is: did you ever imagine someone would do this when you guys released the scripting api?

Wow, can’t wait to see where this goes

Amazing scripting there mxb! :yeah:

Good going! I can see why you left the cell device behind…

simple^2 == complexity

Is it really left behind though? This seems like a completely different tool, no slicing?

Well, according to mxb’s recent status, it is:

So, Long live Cells!

Mmm, personally I see more potential in the slice grid from cell device, than what I’m seeing in the preview here, cue’ing up loops.

@jonas: yes, I agree to a certain extent. I would also love to see more tools that favor creation over manipulation. But on the other hand, Cells! is something a lot of people have asked for, and the way mxb has put this thing together is nothing short of amazing!!

Sweet mother of Jesus on a burning pogo-stick!
The decision to add scripting into renoise is really starting to pay off in a big way.

Whaaaaaaaat?! :drummer:

i never imagined we had this in only a year of scripting :)

! amazing !

'shopped.

Fake.

:)

After watching this video something strange happened inside my knickers. :blush:

Nah, in secret he is just controlling Ableton Live with midi commands from his script :P

Indeed!! Really impressive. :yeah:

HOLY …