#1 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 21:06

Hello,
today I wrote a tool which name says all: Crossfader. I just wanted to be able to crossfade between (send) tracks.
With ASIO and multiple outputs, it is also possible to determine additional send tracks for cueing/prelistening the mixing with headphones. To achieve that, you have to set four send devices: two master and two prelistening sends. Then set per track two send devices: First the prelistening Send with "Keep source" enabled, and then as master with "Mute source" enabled.

crossfaderbig_v13.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbdimmpg874

The sliders can be controlled via midi.
I guess the rest of the tool is quite self-explanatory, anyhow any comments, bug reports, ideas welcome. :)/>/>

Download (1.3):
from Tools page

v1.3:
- added keybinding to start the tool via custom key combination (Preferences->Keys->Global->Tools->DJ Tools-Crossfader)
- added "Left", "Center", "Right" buttons: sets the master crossfader directly to the left, center or right without fading.
- added "Ignore" button: if activated, moving the master crossfader sends no values (helpful for controlling the crossfader with midi).

PS: I know there is e.g. the hydra device to crossfade, but the problem is, that on the most left and most right of the crossfader, the volume is higher than in the middle (what is no real crossfade behaviour)

Edited by Cie, 11 November 2012 - 18:46.

• Djeroek, tris, Acidfire and 2 others like this

#2 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:36

The sliders can be controlled via midi.

I forgot to handle the midi events, assigning to a midi controller did not have any effect. Fixed in 1.1, should work now.

#3 esp81

esp81

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 18:36

excellent!!! thanks for this =)

#4 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:43

excellent!!! thanks for this =)

Thanks! :)
I have uploaded it to the tools page.

http://www.renoise.c...ools-crossfader

#5 egr

egr

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Chipmusic, tracking, sound design, rockin' out \m/ \m/

Posted 18 April 2012 - 17:37

Very cool. Nice work!
I run a record label for hardcore, lofi, electronic music: http://datathrash.com

#6 martyfmelb

martyfmelb

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 14:12

Oh god, mad fun.

Interestingly, I like the behaviour of operating on the PRE-mix volume (instead of post-mix as I expected) as it ends up working as an 'intensity' slider on my compressed and distorted tracks/sends :D
soundcloud : traxinspace
os win7 / directx11 skin aero default mobo asus m4a 89td pro / usb3 cpu amd phenom ii x6 1055T @ 2.8ghz + mem 8gb 1333mhz ... I think
video ati radeon hd 6900 under catalyst sound onboard realtek under asio4all, audiobox usb
storage local seagate sata 250gb as c:\ external seagate ide 1tb as l:\
utils 7 taskbar tweaker, hoekey hotkey manager, launchy, strokeit mouse gestures, nexus dockbar, winsplit revolution window organiser

#7 dblue

dblue

Dodgy Geezer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • Interests:Code. Music. Graphics.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 14:42

Crossfader.

Looks like a fun tool, but why did you decide to use the really fiddly vb:minislider instead of the full size vb:slider? I'm guessing because vb:slider also has the value changer positioned to the left of it, and that looked a bit weird?

Well, how about this... You can actually provide a height for the vb:minislider to make it a bit easier to grab onto :)

cie-dj-slider.png

#8 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:50

Oh god, mad fun.

Interestingly, I like the behaviour of operating on the PRE-mix volume (instead of post-mix as I expected) as it ends up working as an 'intensity' slider on my compressed and distorted tracks/sends :D

Nice :)

Looks like a fun tool, but why did you decide to use the really fiddly vb:minislider instead of the full size vb:slider? I'm guessing because vb:slider also has the value changer positioned to the left of it, and that looked a bit weird?

Exactly :)

Well, how about this... You can actually provide a height for the vb:minislider to make it a bit easier to grab onto :)

Oh thanks, I did not knew this, this is great! I will include this in the next version. :)

#9 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:40

Version 1.2 added to toolspage.

new:
- increased the height of the sliders (thanks to dblue)
- added Blockloop section to control blockloop value via midi button

With the blockloop buttons you can switch directly between different blockloop ranges. Useful for making some repeater like breaks.
I needed it for my setup, maybe it is useful for someone else.

crossfader12.png

#10 Dunks

Dunks

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 00:15

FR:
Could a definable keyboard shortcut be added, to make the crossfader instantly fade between A and B, I don't always have a midi controller available and would like to use this tool for referencing. I'm currently using a hydra with gainers to do this as the slider to switch is always available in the mixer view, using this tool I would need to open the tool every time to do the same.

#11 Dunks

Dunks

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 16:44

FR:
Could a definable keyboard shortcut be added, to make the crossfader instantly fade between A and B, I don't always have a midi controller available and would like to use this tool for referencing. I'm currently using a hydra with gainers to do this as the slider to switch is always available in the mixer view, using this tool I would need to open the tool every time to do the same.

Actually just keybind to show the gui would be better.

#12 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 00:57

Actually just keybind to show the gui would be better.

Good idea, please see the first post for a new version which lets you define a keybinding (Global->Tools->DJ Tools-Crossfader) to show the gui.
I put it on Alt+C

Edited by Cie, 18 September 2012 - 00:59.

#13 Dunks

Dunks

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:32

Nice one, Thanks. When saving this tool as part of a song template on reloading the crossfade routing is lost, anyway to fix this or is it not possible?

#14 crazya02

crazya02

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Game dev, Game playing, Music dev, Music playing

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:37

Nice one, Thanks. When saving this tool as part of a song template on reloading the crossfade routing is lost, anyway to fix this or is it not possible?

It's possible to write to the pattern using tools, so with a bit of math it could be programmed.

By someone more competent than me, at least ;)
sig.gif<p>Processor: AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.70 GHz RAM: 16.0 GB OS: Windows 10

#15 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 18:50

There is a new update on the tools page:

v1.3:
- added keybinding to start the tool via custom key combination (Preferences->Keys->Global->Tools->DJ Tools-Crossfader)
- added "Left", "Center", "Right" buttons: sets the master crossfader directly to the left, center or right without fading.
- added "Ignore" button: if activated, moving the master crossfader sends no values (helpful for controlling the crossfader with midi).

Thank you.
I think currently this is not possible to save settings of a tool with songs. We have to wait until the api provides such a features.

#16 MurderatØr

MurderatØr

Big Masta Member

• Banned
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Let's not MENTION ZE WAR! You MUST like Renoise, Ve hev vayz of making you comply. o/

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:58

Hi Cie,

I am guessing this is the only thread for the Crossfader tool, but l'm actually using DJ Tools Crossfader v. 1.30 for Renoise 3.0.

The problem: I can map alright, but the crossfader has no effect on the relative volumes of the tracks on either end of the crossfader.

I have used my laptop soundcard and then also used Asio4All with a USB soundcard. I don't get any results. I can hear the music, but there's no crossfading happening when l change the slider on my keyboard.

I'm on Windows 7 64-Bit, using Renoise 3.0 64-Bit

### Edit: problem solved - the problem was with the Renoise song l was using, it had complex routing.

Edited by HeadphoneCue, 24 May 2015 - 19:51.

My impact on the industry (one day): https://youtu.be/pTifdoKXoxM?t=1

#17 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 21:41

### Edit: problem solved - the problem was with the Renoise song l was using, it had complex routing.

Hi HeadphoneCue, nice you got it solved, thanks for feedback. :)

#18 MurderatØr

MurderatØr

Big Masta Member

• Banned
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Let's not MENTION ZE WAR! You MUST like Renoise, Ve hev vayz of making you comply. o/

Posted 24 May 2015 - 21:49

You're welcome. Thank you so much for giving Renoise a crossfader dude, this is where the action is at for me.

(I mean, l could easily route to a MIDI mixer with its own crossfader but your option lets me use a cheaper controller instead, so l can jsut have 1 big hardware mixer on my desk for all my DAWs instead of an extra hardware mixer just for Renoise).

To anyone that is curious: There are quite a few MIDI controllers out now that have a crossfader. Coming to think of it, you could probably get away with just using an ordinary slider, if you have Cie's tool. But: it helps to have the 3 buttons too (0% <--> 50% <--> 100%) which are programmable on the crossfader tool and which my MIDI controller actually has.

My MIDI controller is the Edirol PCR-300 and l gotta say l love it.

It has 9 sliders, 18 pads (l hear the pads on it are touch sensitive, l've yet to confirm it - so much to learn), 9 knobs (PC term is "encoders") and then you got the crossfader with the 3 mix level buttons aforementioned (0%,50%,100%).

I got it secondhand for about £100 inc. P&P off eBay but l've seen bigger models (e.g. PCR800 - more keys, same no. of controller features) for about £80 on eBay now.

The thing is: you can get brand new Akai and Novation etc. controller keyboards for about £80 now, but they have slightly fewer controllers onboard than my Edirol PCR-300. Ok anyway l hope this helps the curious.

Edited by HeadphoneCue, 24 May 2015 - 21:58.

My impact on the industry (one day): https://youtu.be/pTifdoKXoxM?t=1

#19 brisket

brisket

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:tropical-industrial & organ meats

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:23

Blockloop button doesn't seem to do anything here?

(3.1 issue maybe? I'm new to the tool)

Also: I really like this, it's potentially very useful live, but not really until the routing and MIDI mapping can be saved with the song.

Edited by brisket, 19 October 2015 - 04:08.

#20 brisket

brisket

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:tropical-industrial & organ meats

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:40

BUMP -- is there any chance that it's now possible to save crossfader routings/mapping with songs??        ...maybe?