15 replies to this topic

#1 mxb

mxb

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Alpha Testers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

One of the ideas that was floating about on IRC today was to have live Lua coding tutorials / screencasts.

We did a very small trial today and I think it was fair to say it is possible.

While the framerate of the stream was low (15fps), the resolution was quite high (1024x768) and I understand the text was very readable.

Comments / questions are handled through the irc channel which I have open on another monitor (~45 second delay on the video though).

I will need to purchase a microphone though, as otherwise it's a fairly silent affair.

Would people be interesting in something like this?

If so please leave a reply below and describe what you would like to get out of such tutorials, what topics you would like it to cover and also what level of experience you already have with programming (if any). This would allow us to better target the topics.

Thanks
Is a footer a sweater for feet?

#2 slippycurb

slippycurb

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:My interests change from day to day, but i always like eggs.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

not so sure id like a live tutorial, but im sure others would..could you stick them up to youpoob after?
"No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own;"

SuckOnThisElectronicEgg

https://www.facebook...ristiansvslions

#3 joule

joule

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

mxb, I think this would be very helpful to many people.

Knowing only the function oriented programming, I'd like to learn more about OO in lua (classes and table candy). Also a fairly indepth tutorial on how to generate a gui would be helpful.

#4 thanatos

thanatos

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

perhaps a channel on youtube with some kind of video tutorial would be cool cause we are not all of us on the same time channel so realtime chat is probably complex
i would really like some lua tutorial but from the ground up cause last time i make some code it was visual basic on atari ST when i was really young making rpg in text mode ... yeah that's ghetto.
LUA seems so cool but a little bit complex to me
Satanical Bots Ritual : For your daily mix and news darkstep /breakcore / technno-dnb/ Crossbreed

#5 Cie

Cie

• Normal Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

I'd like to learn more about OO in lua (classes and table candy). Also a fairly indepth tutorial on how to generate a gui would be helpful.

Me too. In case of gui especially creating a pretty gui with aligning and so on.

perhaps a channel on youtube with some kind of video tutorial would be cool cause we are not all of us on the same time channel so realtime chat is probably complex

+1

#6 esaruoho

esaruoho

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2375 posts
  • Interests:free energy, nikola tesla, wilhelm reich, walter russell, john bedini, john keely, ed leedskalnin, nathan stubblefield, john bedini, earthships

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

don't just announce this stuff on irc, point it out elsewhere too. (@renoise on twitter, obviously, etc). . . some of us aren't on irc anymore.
| OS X 10.9 Mavericks | Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | CoreAudio (Apple Input, Apple Output) |
| Official Impulse Tracker <-> Renoise obsessive | @esaruoho | Lackluster Website | Lackluster on BandCamp | More API functions, please! ;) |

#7 Croco

Croco

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

I would really love to take part in learning LUA with some folks! +1

Beginner tutorials and just general discussions over real world coding principles and examples in tools would be awesome.

Also, general Lua usage in Renoise in non-tool settings. (Such as formula device, nifty workflows etc.) :D

Have you considered doing a podcast: two+ person discussion/question-answer type format? Something like audio only with available snipets of code to download would probably work well and take out a lot of the hassle of making videos.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

Edited by Croco, 15 April 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#8 esaruoho

esaruoho

• Normal Members
  • 2375 posts
  • Interests:free energy, nikola tesla, wilhelm reich, walter russell, john bedini, john keely, ed leedskalnin, nathan stubblefield, john bedini, earthships

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

i think it's time someone took the time to create a simple menu entry, keybinding and midimapping of a certain API function. maybe stop, or play, or something. if one can get over that hurdle, one can get over any hurdle, pretty much.
| OS X 10.9 Mavericks | Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 | CoreAudio (Apple Input, Apple Output) |
| Official Impulse Tracker <-> Renoise obsessive | @esaruoho | Lackluster Website | Lackluster on BandCamp | More API functions, please! ;) |

#9 mxb

mxb

• Alpha Testers
  • 701 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

not so sure id like a live tutorial, but im sure others would..could you stick them up to youpoob after?

Yes, the stream will be recorded. I think it would be easier to stream live as I can get instant feedback on any clarifications / going too fast etc.

The streaming site also keeps a recorded version, I may be able to put them on YouTube but I would need to remove the 10 minute limit first. Maybe another video hosting site would be better (e.g. vimeo, blip.tv).

mxb, I think this would be very helpful to many people.

Knowing only the function oriented programming, I'd like to learn more about OO in lua (classes and table candy). Also a fairly indepth tutorial on how to generate a gui would be helpful.

Object orientated programming is one of the topics planned to be covered, but not until a later episode.

i would really like some lua tutorial but from the ground up cause last time i make some code it was visual basic on atari ST when i was really young making rpg in text mode ... yeah that's ghetto.

See above regarding YouTube and show recording. I think starting from the very basics (what is a variable, different types in lua etc.) will probably be for the best.

Me too. In case of gui especially creating a pretty gui with aligning and so on.

Again, ViewBuilder should be covered later on, once the basics are covered.

don't just announce this stuff on irc, point it out elsewhere too. (@renoise on twitter, obviously, etc). . . some of us aren't on irc anymore.

Any screencasts will be announced on the forum in advance (ideally a week), I'll see if someone will post them on the twitter feed too. IRC is just for the realtime live feedback and discussion.

I would really love to take part in learning LUA with some folks! +1

Beginner tutorials and just general discussions over real world coding principles and examples in tools would be awesome.

Also, general Lua usage in Renoise in non-tool settings. (Such as formula device, nifty workflows etc.) :D

Have you considered doing a podcast: two+ person discussion/question-answer type format? Something like audio only with available snipets of code to download would probably work well and take out a lot of the hassle of making videos.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

I have listened to audio only podcasts and I personally didn't find them as helpful as video for technical topics. Maybe this is just how I learn, but it's much easier to strip the video and make an audio only version.

i think it's time someone took the time to create a simple menu entry, keybinding and midimapping of a certain API function. maybe stop, or play, or something. if one can get over that hurdle, one can get over any hurdle, pretty much.

Yes, the plan is to start with the very basics of the lua language and then move onto 'simple' API functions such as those you have suggested.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
Is a footer a sweater for feet?

#10 Ledger

Ledger

Guruh Motha Fakka Knows More About Renoise Than Taktik

• Alpha Testers
  • 2935 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Great and generous idea!

Look forward to seeing any object oriented stuff covered.
--> Lua For Beginners <--
--> Lua for newbies <--

My Scripts On Forum

Top Tip!

cpu : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, os : Win 7 64bit, audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
posts as 4tune @ KvR and some other music related sites

#11 crytek

crytek

• Normal Members
  • 1287 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

I'm very interested! I would just like something on the beginner level. Maybe take us through writing a tool, from concept to finished product. Doesn't have to be something too fancy, but personally, I would like to see something more than say, a toggle of some kind. But I'm very interested.
Kit List:

Macbook Air | Emu E4xt Ultra Sampler | M-AUDIO Midi sport UNO | Reaktor 5 | FM8 | Boss OS2 Overdrive/Distortion Guitar Pedal | Lexicon MX200 | Roland SP-303 Sampler | ART Pro VLA II HW Compressor | Rane Scratch Live (SL1) | 2 X Technics turn tables | Pioneer DJM 600 Mixer | Vinyl (From various generes) oh, and Renoise!

NEW! | For Sale | Adding soon...

Get off the forums, make more music!

Soundcloud

#12 2 daze j

2 daze j

• Normal Members
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, aliens, space, the afterlife, music, high energy music..

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

+ 1 B) twitter is where is at. also.. you can do live shows here, but I'm not sure if they cost anything http://kondoot.com/

I don't use google plus, cause frankly.. I'm scared of google.. but I hear the hangouts are nice.
I woke up with my mind on the floor...

#13 esaruoho

esaruoho

• Normal Members
  • 2375 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Maybe take us through writing a tool, from concept to finished product. Doesn't have to be something too fancy, but personally, I would like to see something more than say, a toggle of some kind. But I'm very interested.

and is the live screencast/tutorial giver guy supposed to also imagine the concept to finished product, since you don't want it to be a toggle only? i must say, this thread needs to go both ways (both providing information, both sides) for you to get what you want. so what did you have in mind?

#14 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16803 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

+ 1 B) twitter is where is at. also.. you can do live shows here, but I'm not sure if they cost anything http://kondoot.com/

They don't mention anything about subscription fees. You do can charge people for joining a session, i guess when you do that, a small amount of your revenue will be deducted by the host.
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#15 niNja_pWn3d

niNja_pWn3d

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:..:: My kids - Music - Production - Promotion - 8bit - amen - Hax0r ::..

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

I would LOVE this!
Youtube!
Soundcloud!

"The magnitude of pleasure reaches its limit in the removal of all pain. When such pleasure is present, so long as it is uninterrupted, there is no pain either of body or of mind or of both together." -Epicurus

#16 Cas

Cas

• Normal Members
  • 1703 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Nice!
I've just made a sort of transport controller in processing.org using OSC, now I can use an old joypad to control stuff in Renoise :yeah:

Edited by Cas, 23 July 2012 - 12:10 AM.

music+sounds: SoundCloud BandCamp
tutorials: Beat Creators, Overtune vimeo set, Drum Synthesis examples
tools: download@box, info@blog (specifically, Overtune and AwesomeSawce), fork@git, thread@forum - donate@paypal (flattr)
drumkits: WizzKit no. 01 (thread), 02 (thread), 03 (thread), 04