You record this:

00 - C-4  
01 - OFF -- C-4  
02 OFF  

Renoise changes the input to:

00 - C-4  
01 - C-4  
02 OFF  

Expected behaviour: Renoise should record what you play.
Actual behaviour: Renoise changes the input overwriting a note-off. Sometimes the recorded sequence will sound very different from the played sequence.

Are you sure that the Chord mode button is enabled in the Pattern editor Control panel?
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Editor#Pattern_Editor_Control_Panel

Yeah happens with Chord mode enabled or disabled. For demonstration purposes:

• Load a sample.
  • Set BPM/LP to 32/1. Things are slow.
  • Record.
  • Press and release a key.
  • You’ll see a let’s say C-4 on line 00, then a NOTE-OFF on line 01.
  • When on line 01, press C-4 again.

NOTE-OFF on line 01 will be overwritten by the new C-4 (you’ll SEE it when on line 02). Should be placed in a new column, I think.

Not a biggy, but can create unwanted results.

Well, i believe up to Renoise 1.9.1 records including delays and cut commands:this did allowed you to record on very slow LPB/BPM rates at exact moments.
The delay recording has been removed somewhere later on.

Specific reason quoting Taktik (this comes from a close-member forum section so can’t redirect to the topic):

This response however was for a Renoise version that did not included the separated delay column yet.
The best solution would be for the Renoise-Devs to add a dedicated note-off column where the value is the moment of note-off. This would leave out any kind of confusing matters and makes Renoise quite a lot more precise in stopping and initiating notes.

Yes. Changing the behavior from overwriting-note-off-with-new-note to putting-new-note-in-new-column would not make for perfect precision. But would be a little improvement on its own.
A more thorough fix of the note precision issue would be welcome too.

Any specific note-dedicated effect column doesn’t have a higher value than FF and this integrity only gets more precise if you would raise the LPB.
To be honest, back in the <2.0 time, the recordings were in ticks which were recorded pretty precise (3 to 1/12th of a line). I don’t have a distinct ear in noticing 2ms difference, but for me that kind of recording was already perfect (recorded as played).
So if note-offs would be registered at 256th of a line position, this time-gap gets even smaller, even if you would play on 32bpm with 1 LPB (the only problem then will be you will run out of note-columns as there is a max of 12 per track).

Ofcourse, on Windows when using DirectSound, you will never get a proper idea of recording due to the input delay of the sound-driver, so this works only really fine with an ASIO card. On Mac and Linux these obstacles do not really exist.

But they already are (!!!) - IF there’s more than one line’s distance between the note and the note-off (you can’t have a note-off on the same line as the note).
Or do we misunderstand each other?

I meant on the same line as the note was triggered. This can only be done if the note-off has its specific column.