• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 loft electronics

loft electronics

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:22

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it seems that if you put a number of samples (e.g. 1,2,3,4) onto a keyzone and set them to cycle, they correctly cycle when you keep pressing the key. But if you change key during the cycle (say, after the first key press) then the pattern nearly always starts again from 1. But sometimes it doesn't. What's it supposed to do?

I would really like it to remember its place in the cycle and continue from there on the new key, assuming the new key contains the same number of samples.
  • spacecult likes this

#2 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6069 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 27 December 2013 - 00:46

What's it supposed to do?

I would really like it to remember its place in the cycle and continue from there on the new key, assuming the new key contains the same number of samples.

Good point - I'm not in front of Renoise right now, but I believe the set of overlapping samples is memorized per key. But I agree it would make more sense - musically speaking - to memorize each particular combination of overlapping zones.

So, for instance the following keyzone layout would create a single overlapping zone ©, spanning a number of keys:

|    |  C   |  B     |
|____|______|        |
     |               |
     |_______________|

Have I understood you right?

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#3 loft electronics

loft electronics

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:19

I'm not sure... I like the ascii Venn Diagram though!

I just mean that if there are three samples assigned to a key and they go ding - dang - dong, and you press C four times it will play ding - dang - dong - ding.

But if you were to play across keys... when you play C it will play C-ding. Then when you press D, it should play D- dang. And (are you still with me?) when you press E, it should play E-dong. And then you play F, it should play F-ding.

You know what I mean?

#4 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6069 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:04

But if you were to play across keys... when you play C it will play C-ding. Then when you press D, it should play D- dang. And (are you still with me?) when you press E, it should play E-dong. And then you play F, it should play F-ding.

You know what I mean?

Ba-da-bing! :-) Yep, I think I understood it...and I think it makes sense!
In the really simple ASCII example above, there would be just one memorized "cycle state" instead of a whole bunch (per key).. Real-life examples might be more complex, though ... but nothing that could not be achieved with a bit of pre-calculation, I guess.

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#5 loft electronics

loft electronics

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:50

I was thinking of some kind of legato thing, but now I think more, I don't think it needs to be complex. It could just remember the last sample position in the round robin and play the next one in the chain, no matter what. Unless the other key didn't have enough samples, in which case it would just re-start the cycle at 1. Easier to say than do, no doubt.

#6 It-Alien

It-Alien

• 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:03

I don't think there is a way which is "right" while the other is "wrong"; the two could be two valid different round robin kinds, which could be called "key round robin" and "zone round robin". being able to choose among the two in the dropdown box would certainly be a nice addition, but could also make the whole thing harder to understand. On the other hand, this is a pretty advanced part of the sample editor, so the user who is using it should be aware of what he is doing and find this option to be useful
  • vV and delt like this
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#7 delt

delt

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:49

I don't think there is a way which is "right" while the other is "wrong"; the two could be two valid different round robin kinds, which could be called "key round robin" and "zone round robin". being able to choose among the two in the dropdown box would certainly be a nice addition, but could also make the whole thing harder to understand. On the other hand, this is a pretty advanced part of the sample editor, so the user who is using it should be aware of what he is doing and find this option to be useful

Totally agreed with you on that one.
"One man's dream" orig. composed by Yanni
http://soundcloud.com/delt01/one-mans-dream-orig-composed

#8 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 16:30

the two could be two valid different round robin kinds, which could be called "key round robin" and "zone round robin".

I think this phrase sums it up perfectly
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#9 loft electronics

loft electronics

• Normal Members