#1 Bit_Arts

Bit_Arts

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 19:19

Refering to my old posting: http://forum.renoise...w-sample-modes/

Would still be required for more appropriate sound design.

Atm there is specially one reason, that's responsible for making XRNIs sound completely static and exactly the same with every keystroke: Samples are always retriggered at their start with every keystroke. That of course makes sense for a lot of instruments, but it doesn't by far for all and it specially doesn't, when you try to create the sound of "alive" synthesis.

The new retriggering of envelopes via pattern command was a nice try to get rid of this issue. But because of the ramping in envelopes it doesn't really have the desired effect for every instrument. What would help here, are different samples modes. There are several modes, that come to my mind.

• Free
    That means, when playing a new note with an instrument, it simply uses the last sample position of the previously played note on the same column (and of the same sample, of course) as its new starting point. Since there is a relation between track columns and replayed samples anyway, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to code this, because the whole thing could be track column related. In fact it only makes sense this way anyway.
  • Continuously
    A pointer continuously and at always the same speed running trough the whole sample length and passing it's current position as starting point, when a note is hit.
  • Random
    Simply set a random starting point for the sample.
Most times these modes would make sense in combination with loops only. But there'd be no disadvantage in also allowing them for non-looped samples. In fact for non-looped samples this would open new possibilities, too. So I didn't talk about "loop modes" here.

Already one of these modes would be a great enrichment for the sound of the native instruments. Having all of them available, would just be awesome.

Edited by Bit_Arts, 28 December 2013 - 19:20.

Herr, schmeiss Hirn vom Himmel! :mellow:

#2 spacecult

spacecult

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 19:59

Refering to my old posting: http://forum.renoise...w-sample-modes/

Would still be required for more appropriate sound design.

Perhaps not ideal, but the way I've been playing with to defeat osc reset sound is using a high amplitude random pitch lfo followed by a very short fader setting, short enough for the initial pitch bend to not be noticable much. It phases the signals differently enough on each key press to give some analog effect.

But your ideas would be would be nicer, for sure!

#3 Bit_Arts

Bit_Arts

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 22:04

Perhaps not ideal, but the way I've been playing with to defeat osc reset sound is using a high amplitude random pitch lfo followed by a very short fader setting, short enough for the initial pitch bend to not be noticable much. It phases the signals differently enough on each key press to give some analog effect.

But your ideas would be would be nicer, for sure!

Well, that might work for a few purposes, but still can't be it. Specially pluck sounds, bells an similar with fast attacks would rather suffer from that. But I guess, I'm telling you nothing new, since you already used it.

Herr, schmeiss Hirn vom Himmel! :mellow: