#1 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 27 January 2014 - 17:03

Macro presets are something that I would love to see make it into the R3 instrument. For example, the drawbar organ mentioned on the Renoise blog is a perfect candidate for such a system - you can dial in the exact sound you want, but having quick access to a number of presets would be better still.

Implementation-wise, we would need the ability to save presets in the Macro DSP device - or elsewhere? - presets which are then added to the instrument.I could imagine a further extension of the macro device too, with which you would be able to morph between these presets using a special xy-pad alike control. Powerful stuff, considering that each macro might control several parameters in itself!

Questions is where to edit/load/save those presets?
The macro section within the instrument editor could be expanded a little, contain this menu.
The same could be true for the Macro device (in fact, this device already has a preset system - but this is currently defunct not tied into the instrument, but rather the macro device itself. I suggest a Doofer-alike approach where saved presets are made available elsewhere too.

What are your thoughts on this one?

Edited by danoise, 28 January 2014 - 15:30.

• It-Alien, Djeroek, RANSOM and 3 others like this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#2 BpZ

BpZ

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 17:23

Copy paste and also move the macro buttons left or right (Alt+Arrow or something)

#3 kolacell

kolacell

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:12

i would like to have everything handled in the browser...presets for everything with custom folders (like its already done for songs, instruments etc.). dragging the presets to the devices would be nice then (or direct open on device). this also includes macro presets (personally i dont need macros)

Edited by kolacell, 27 January 2014 - 19:15.

#4 Djeroek

Djeroek

• Normal Members
  • 6670 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 18:46

+1

#5 KanetonKiller

KanetonKiller

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:42

+1

Maybe i missed something but i've started to upgrade my old sample instruments to version 3 and i thought it's really boring to have to define the macros at each new instruments.
I can save the defaut ADSR i want on them but when it comes to macros, i need to redefine them everytime...

For the moment, i think it would be logical if when we save a modulation set with macros assigned in this set, these macros are saved too or it's a nonsense ?
Same with Instrument FX Chain of course...

So the problem would be that if i load a first preset with macros 1, 2 and 3, what's the deal if i load a second presets with same macros...

Edit : yeah something like doofer could be great

Edited by KanetonKiller, 17 February 2014 - 20:45.

#6 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:04

What are your thoughts on this one?

Would also need saving the modulation/fx chains along with them, perhaps even the sample references.
In that regard, the best thing would simply save the complete xrni in the preferences folder as a preset ;)
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#7 It-Alien

It-Alien

• 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 19 February 2014 - 17:25

+1

the ability to change preset through MIDI program change messages would also be great.
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#8 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6171 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 20:13

Maybe i missed something but i've started to upgrade my old sample instruments to version 3 and i thought it's really boring to have to define the macros at each new instruments.
I can save the defaut ADSR i want on them but when it comes to macros, i need to redefine them everytime...

The problem with what you suggest here is that any macro might represent a combination of modulation and effect parameters. So you can't save the modulation chain alone and expect the macro to magically recreate the same effect. I definitely see what you are aiming at, but it might be better approach then to create an "instrument template" (a bit like what vV is talking about), and then swap the samples as needed - perhaps easily swapping samples would then become the new suggestion... :lol:

However, this has actually nothing to do with what I suggested in this topic. "Macro presets" deal strictly with an existing, defined set of macros and how they could be stored/accessed/manipulated.

#9 TheBellows

TheBellows

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2297 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 19 February 2014 - 20:25

And to make things even more complicated you can also macro the AHDSR. :P
...I'm seriously running out of macros. :D

Edited by TheBellows, 19 February 2014 - 20:27.

#10 Guest_crytek_*

Guest_crytek_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 22:24

+21

#11 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6171 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 22:50

...I'm seriously running out of macros. :D/>

"8 dimensions should be enough for anyone"
Fake Bill Gates
  • TheBellows likes this

#12 Drop Shadow

Drop Shadow

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:30

+1

#13 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:26

AND PLEASE!!!
http://forum.renoise...presets-please/

#14 Denim

Denim

• Normal Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Interests:soundcloud.com/novadope

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:21

Sorry to pollute this with more slightly off-topic questions, but since it's already discussed here:

As per now, there is no way to copy/paste/store macros/re-apply same macros on different instruments, am I right?

I understand the logic, but I'd really like some way of saving Macros AND Modulation Sets together, like in a bundle-set or whatever.
I have a standard setup of macros & mods I'd like to apply for hundreds of my instruments, and since many of these instruments are multisampled in different ways it would be complete hell both to remake them or to go through and assign 8x macros for each of them.

soundcloud | studio 

join in ---> renoise user map

#15 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6171 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 16:49

I have a standard setup of macros & mods I'd like to apply for hundreds of my instruments

With some extra work this could be integrated into my XRNI-Merger tool.

Basically, you would select a source instrument, one or more macros, and hit copy.
It would then recreate the "network" of devices in the target, just like it currently does with modulation/effect chains.

It doesn't come with an option for batch processing hundreds of files, but it would be a start.

#16 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2297 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 26 June 2014 - 16:54

Maybe an instrument preset you can apply to any instrument could be a solution. The preset part is easy, but applying it to an existing xrni isn't possible i think?
But maybe you could write a script, take whatever that you want to apply from your preset xrni, then make the script add this to your instruments? I'm on thin ice here, i don't know my scripting, but i believe we have some smart people here on the board.

#17 Denim

Denim

• Normal Members
  • 1016 posts
  • Interests:soundcloud.com/novadope

Posted 26 June 2014 - 18:56

With some extra work this could be integrated into my XRNI-Merger tool.

Basically, you would select a source instrument, one or more macros, and hit copy.
It would then recreate the "network" of devices in the target, just like it currently does with modulation/effect chains.

It doesn't come with an option for batch processing hundreds of files, but it would be a start.

Sweet, didn't know you were working on this tool. Looks very promising. Well, if you could include the macros feature you describe here, it would be perfectly sufficient for my needs. You have my full support :yeah:

soundcloud | studio 

join in ---> renoise user map

#18 Nova deViator

Nova deViator

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 18:51

First of all, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - I couldn't find a thread discussing this: currently the presets in "*Instr. Macros" meta-device don't really work. At least I cannot figure out how to use them. If I save different positions of eight knobs into presets, when I load any of them it is not being recalled. A quirk, a bug?

On the other hand, to add an answer to questions raised above, to me it seems quite reasonable to have presets tied to specific instrument. Currently I see presets mainly as macro presets, which could be recalled from "*Instr. Macros" meta device and perhaps additionally in a macro section of an instrument.

Edited by Nova deViator, 19 July 2014 - 18:52.

• triple zero likes this

#19 triple zero

triple zero

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 16:38

What Nova deViator (and others) said, it would be sooo sweet if the presets in the "Instr.Macros" device would just work as expected. Meaning, it would save the positions of the knobs. It shouldn't even matter if it applies to the correct instrument, even, it's just 8 numbers of 0..100% anyway.

What I did find, suboptimal but it's perhaps nice to know, that the A/B buttons on the "Instr.Macros" device do work as expected, you can use that to at least save and recall two knob combinations. It's really not a lot ... :)

Having this (or a trick to emulate it) would open up some pretty sweet new possibilities for instruments as package wrapped softsynths. But the main problem I run into is, in some way problem with my general workflow and automation in Renoise (I'm holding out the hope that that someone can educate me on a way that works smoother) -- actually I now realize my workflow issue isn't strictly relevant to Macro Presets, but automation in general, so I'm going to stick that part of the post into a new thread.