A question about panning

Say I throw two effects on a track, and I want the output of Effect A to be slightly panned to the left, and the output of Effect B to be slightly panned to the right. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do this?

Thanks.

I’m just a renoise newbie too, but it sounds as if you’re going about this slightly the wrong way.

What you want to have is the original track generating the sounds, then route it (probably using a hydra) to two other tracks which contain the respective effects and panning systems.

But I could be totally off base.

Hydra is for mapping a single control to multiple controls of other effects.

But you could make one send track for each effect(-chain), and send the original signal to to those tracks. The send device will allow you to keep/mute source, so even if you want to mute the original track you need to choose “keep” for all subsequent sends but the last. The send tracks could be panned individually, and are mixed together in the master. Having 2 effects on a single track, even if those supported panning, would also mean that the second effect would process not the original signal but the ouput the first effect. If you deliberately wanted to do this, you could also send to another send track from the first send track after the effect (with “keep source”), thus the second would effect the already effected signal, but both stages could be panned individually. I hope you get that explanation somehow…

Clutters up your tracklist a lot, if you overdo this… :blink:/>

Aha! Thanks for setting me straight.

I really like Renoise, but I will say that this is one aspect where Sunvox shows NightRadio’s genius. His interface creates a very close link between the mental model of routing sound signals, and the interface’s display and management. Not trying to start a flamewar, and not knocking Renoise - I could mention half a dozen things Renoise does better than Sunvox. They both have their niches.

Edit P.S.: Yes, I do realise that NightRadio wasn’t the first, and that Buzz tracker was a notable forerunner, but even dwarves standing on the shoulders of giants need to pick their giants and that’s a genius all its own.

Just create two send devices and send them to two different send tracks.

like Elsekiss says, or you could also use one send device/send track and keep one of the effects in the original track chain. Would save you a send track, but might make things a bit less organized.

Thanks, that was really helpful.

That’s likely to become a problem eventually. For now, I’ve went with TheBellows’s approach. Here’s what my configuration looks like:

Track: Send device panned to the left > Gainer panned to the right > Effect A
Send track: Effect B

If anyone figures out a better way of doing this, don’t hesitate to tell me about it.

Details in how you route are personal preference as long as the result sounds the same. If you automate FX parameters it’s a question on where you want that automation to happen to have better track of how things interact. I like to have most tracks do rough generation and instrument automation, and have the effects in send tracks even if unneeded, to seperate these stages a little, and maybe reuse effect chains for multiple instruments.

What you do with pre/post effect panning could maybe also influence the way the effects sound a little, for example how reverb spreads if the input is already reduced on one channel when it enters the reverb, versus panning the reverb (and thus the complete output) after the effect. First will maybe still have a nice sense of room on the “weaker” channel, second is more like the complete stereo reverb tail shifted in position.

If you do this kind of parallel effects you also have to watch out how those effects mess the signal, when they’re mixed together at some point. Many effects induce a (short) delay, but i think renoise already has plugin delay compensation. A little harder are the usual (resonant) filters, and many effects containing filters - they shift phase of certain passed frequencies, resulting unwanted results when mixing back together with for example a dry signal. This can suck presence out of the result somewhat sometimes. There are not so many filter/eq/whatever plugins that feature linear phase filters that wouldn’t cause such problems.