Meltdown

Ready for some badass techno? :panic:

I really liked that one, it’s beefy! What synth(s) did you use?

Thanks, glad you liked it as i’m very happy with this one myself. :)
I mainly used the free (monophonic) version of TAL-Noisemaker and it has become my definitive favourite synth. It has a nice set of features and it sounds excellent compared to most free synths.
To make the sound even beefier i used a VST called FerricTDS, also free and pretty damn awesome. It’s an enhancer of some sort with a very nice limiter and kind of works like glue to the mix, giving it a warmer and fuller sound without turning it into oversaturated ear fatigue hell.
There is also one instance of Alpha-Ray1 and VstSpeek3 for the speech, both free and pretty cool stuff.

Oh, wow, VstSpeek is supa dupa, man! I think I’ll never make any more tracks without it…

Here’s a new mix for this where i tried to make it hit a bit harder and sound a bit fuller, not shure if it’s an improvement though, so i would very much appreciate a second opinion.

[Media]http://soundcloud.com/thebellows/meltdown-new-mix[/Media]

Writing impressions as they come.

First one:

Heavy, simple groove. Uncompromising pacing. Machinemusic. Love the sweeps on longer notes. Simple chord progression but that’s in keeping with the style. About as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Does feel as if there are gaps in the soundscape, but they are meaningful themselves.

Second one:

Recognisable groove, of course, but the additional variation is immediately noticeable. The addition of more reverb fills the soundscape more - intentionally, I presume. More complexity to the breaks as well. More interesting harmonies as well. A deeper experience.

Comparison view:

I almost feel as if the first could blend into the second as context changes, and back again. If this were computer game music, I’d fade to mix 2 when an enemy comes into view, then back again as you move on.

I like the newer mix a bit better, but I’m not sure that it bites harder, since the space between notes in the original mix seems to make the sounds punch harder from the darkness as they rise. This could be duplicated with a more aggressive use of panning to differentiate sound sources in the second mix.

Summary:

Is this music inspired by Shadowrun? I’d absolutely set this in the background for a game, or slot it in to the new Shadowrun game’s background. It just seems very appropriate.

In general, it sounds professional, serious, and well put together.

^I love FerricTDS. I always put in on my drums. Subtle, yet profound.

Writing impressions as they come.

First one:

Heavy, simple groove. Uncompromising pacing. Machinemusic. Love the sweeps on longer notes. Simple chord progression but that’s in keeping with the style. About as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Does feel as if there are gaps in the soundscape, but they are meaningful themselves.

Second one:

Recognisable groove, of course, but the additional variation is immediately noticeable. The addition of more reverb fills the soundscape more - intentionally, I presume. More complexity to the breaks as well. More interesting harmonies as well. A deeper experience.

Comparison view:

I almost feel as if the first could blend into the second as context changes, and back again. If this were computer game music, I’d fade to mix 2 when an enemy comes into view, then back again as you move on.

I like the newer mix a bit better, but I’m not sure that it bites harder, since the space between notes in the original mix seems to make the sounds punch harder from the darkness as they rise. This could be duplicated with a more aggressive use of panning to differentiate sound sources in the second mix.

Summary:

Is this music inspired by Shadowrun? I’d absolutely set this in the background for a game, or slot it in to the new Shadowrun game’s background. It just seems very appropriate.

In general, it sounds professional, serious, and well put together.

Thanks a bunch for your thorough analysis, i very much appreciate it. Good to hear that i’m not completely off track.

I haven’t played Shodowrun though, but it looks like a cool game. I have always dreamt of making game music, even though i’m not a big gamer, but always been fascinated by it.

Actually the only difference between the two versions is created by EQing, i mostly automated my 96 Band EQ with signal followers.

Thanks a bunch for your thorough analysis, i very much appreciate it. Good to hear that i’m not completely off track.
I haven’t played Shodowrun though, but it looks like a cool game. I have always dreamt of making game music, even though i’m not a big gamer, but always been fascinated by it.

Actually the only difference between the two versions is created by EQing, i mostly automated my 96 Band EQ with signal followers.

​Fair enough, but then your EQing was hiding a lot in the first version. A lot of sounds became clearer in the remaster - mostly to its advantage, in my opinion.