Renoise not listening to Automap

So I have a Remote SL (first generation, MKI). Here’s what’s going on, Renoise can read all of the incoming data from my Remote SL when it’s in standard midi mode, but if I open an automapped plugin like Massive, it doesn’t work. It’s really confusing. When you go over to the Midi page, you can see that data is not even being sent to Renoise. But if I switch to a regular midi template, it works fine. It reads everything coming to it. I’ve asked in the forums and got Zero responses. No one helped. I emailed Novation tech support and I simply got told that it works fine on their end, so they can’t help me. I have Studio One, it works fine in Studio One. So don’t tell me it’s my device. The device works. The keys work fine, it’s just the knobs aren’t sending any data when focused on automap. It’s not recognizing anything I do. It’s very frustrating. I could use any help anyone can give. There has to be something I’m doing wrong. I have it set to automap midi, I have the instrument focused. It’s just not sending data when in this template.

Here’s an interesting thing that I’ve discovered. When I move a knob on Massive with a mouse, the values change on the Remote SL. So it’s sending data out!! It’s not excepting the incoming messages. Please, any help would be appreciated. I really want to get this working. There has to be something that I’ve done wrong, and I can’t figure out what.

Okay something strange that I’ve discovered. On the midi tab page in Renoise 3, if I set Input Device to MIDIIN3 (Remote SL), it heres incoming messages from the Remote SL. However, it STILL does not effect the plugin. This is really odd behavior, and I can’t figure out what’s going on. I’m kind of stressing. lol

I found some old forum posts that had the same problem. Seems that this is a longstanding issue that’s never been addressed. Did anybody ever find a solution?

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/topic/26787-automap-and-renoise/page__p__210451__hl__automap__fromsearch__1#entry210451

Ive had novation nocturn half-year ago and everything worked and in every daw same, weird…

It seems to me, what’s going on, is that my Remote SL is sending data to the Automap server, but the automap server in turn is not sending data to Renoise.

Or to the plugin for that matter

However, when I move a knob on Massive, the values change on the remote sl, it’s just not going the other way.

Here’s how I have the midi setup on my end. Am I doing something wrong?

It looks like you need midi routing for this, this is unfortunately not supported in Renoise yet.

Thanks vV. That at least makes sense. Now I have an idea of why it isn’t working and why Midi Routing is such requested feature. Definitely high on my list as well now.

True we don’t have this, but it’s not needed for automap. In “INST.” or “FX” mode (referring to plugin instrument or effects, respectively), you are presented with a choice of “Automap-wrapped” plugins. These plugins are the standard plugins, but running inside an automap shell which takes care of the routing between the controller and the host, completely independently of any MIDI settings you select in the host. Oh, and apart from INST and FX mode, you also have the “USER” mode, which is just standard MIDI messages being passed through the virtual AM port (to use those messages you will need to select the Automap MIDI port).

So, unless you have accidentally selected the user mode, I’m not really sure what might be the cause. I just checked here, WinXP 32 bit running Automap 4.8 and it’s working fine with the few AM’ed plugins I have on my system.
One thought: are you running this plugin in bridged mode? If so, would it be possible to run it without the bridge?
I can see from the screenshot that the plugin name is suffixed with “(Automap)”, so it’s at least the automapped (shell-wrapped) plugin being instantiated. Perhaps remove it from the list of AM’ed plugins and add it once again?

I personally only use automap because it’s needed for the Remote SL MKII to recognize and receive incoming MIDI messages. The Automap FX/INSTR modes I have given up on long time ago - Duplex does a better job at handling such things without the additional complexity of shell-wrapped plugins. Also, it seems you can’t even exchange the raw presets from AM’ed plugin and the standard one which makes it painful to transition back to using the standard plugin if you want to.