Cpu And Mobo Recommendations...

Hehe. I didn’t think it was that easy ;)

Anyway. I’m gonna buy a new dual amd opteron system soon.
When you first have tried a dual setup you will never go back to singel system again.
Guess I could use cubase or something as a vst player then.
I already do that over LAN.

paradoxic: the ‘flaw’ i meant is that the p4 has problems in utilizing his whole potential, at least that’s what i read. big ‘areas’ are simply lieing there unused in certain situations. like, if two applications are running, one maby thwarts the other, at least thats how i understood it.
thats what HT tries to adress. as far as i read, athlons don’t have that problem, or at least not as severe as p4s.

though i have to say i don’t really have real knowledge about cpudesign myself, so i only mirror what i have read. at least it makes sense to me.
alexander: i read through your article. (well, überflogen). basicly it explains that HT is giving real multitasking, overcoming some issues with ‘simulated’ m.t. then shows some benchmarks which display performance increase. but since it doesn’t compare with athlon cpu, it doesn’t really shed more light on my assumtion.

let’s take a closer look at the p4:
the CPU has a total of 7 execution units, two of which can operate on two operations per clock (the double-pumped ALUs (arithmetic-logical-unit). And if it were even possible, you wouldn’t be able to find software that saturated all of these execution units. The most commonly used desktop software will perform a handful of integer calculations as well as loads and stores but leave the floating-point(FP) units untouched. Whereas a program such as Maya would concentrate almost exclusively on the FP units and leave the ALUs unused. Even applications that primarily use integer operations won’t saturate all of the ALUs, especially the “slow” or normal speed integer unit which is primarily used for performing shifts and rotates.

so hyperthreading is intel’s approach to counteract the problem of unused cpu resources (i.e. unused execution units) by adding a technology that allows parallel execution of certain instructions.
so let’s assume we have a thread which ONLY stresses the ALU and another one which ONLY stresses the FPU. this would be an ideal scenario for hyperthreading, since it would be able to operate parallel on these threads and utilize the respective units simultaniously.
however, this is an ideal scenario and the “real-world” most commonly looks pretty different. if you got two tasks, or more precisely, threads which both need the integer units, then hyperthreading wont help at all…

so i wouldn’t call hyperthreading the workaround for a “flaw”, since i guess AMD CPUs (thoroughbreds, bartons… dunno about the clawhammer) basically work the same and are having the same parallism problems.

good post man. so p4s only parallel execute certain instructions? so it’s not entirely like having 2 processors on board, right?

Some stuff:

“Amongs other tests, Intel have run this technology with Nuendo and experienced a 25% to 30% increase of available processing power compared to the same CPU with Hyper-Threading disabled.”

from Steinberg knowledge base.

hmm interesting :) where did you get the info? maybe post a link so i can read up. i learn some microprocessor stuff in university - notorious 68000

:P

I quote myself to say that I’ve solved the problem: the RAM the dealer has given me are not fully compatible with my ASUS PT800.

Since a workmate of mine had similar problems with his RAM and another brand of mainboard, we are going to switch the RAM modules to see if we can be both happy :)

Ok guest or gilli or whoever, I really have no clue, it seem sto mr that your problem can be caused by almost anything. But maybe this Keith303-guy can help you out, he seems to know freaky lot about computers. :) And maybe some other laptop users can help you out in other forums. Unless you have been hardcore and fitted mobile processor into desktop comp. :)

Anyway if u are getting new soundz to your mobile pc then u could check this thread out if u haven’t yet.

edit: damn. help!
2nd edit: ahhh, did it
edit’s edit’s edit: I tested my ram with Memtest86. Its a nice way to do this I think, just read the site instructions & info thru and do the test. Just remember that some BIOS settings may hang the comp during the test, so for memory testing purposes only I would at least turn USBs off. Also some AGP aperture size settings coupled with not-fully-compatible AGP card may cause heavy instability on some boards (like mine, damn!). Reducing may help.

really, no clue anymore. i looked a bit but couldn’t find anymore. there are so many tech-sites out there, which i usually enter via googleing-in.
anyway, the web can be a pretty two edged sword regarding information. in most cases i have a good common sense bullshit-detector, but there are cases where it is hard to distinguish between good info and crap when not already having deeper knowledge of things. and the web is full of bloodcurdling misinformation.