Linux Instruments For Renoise

No, that was not what I meant :slight_smile: Sorry. What I meant was that this would give us a one oscillator synth.

On a different note: I was checking out some VST Linux plugins today and most of them are extremely buggy (the worst is zynaddsubfx). This is a shame, I bought Renoise to make music on Linux, but now I don’t have instruments :frowning:

fladd

visit www.loomer.co.uk and see their stuff :) and the mda plugins are quite nice too.

Thanks. Loomer is quite expensive. MDA plugins are nice, though, I have them already. But I was looking for more complex synths, something to make proper leads and pads.

fladd

Yeah, Discovery is cool, and works natively in Linux, the sampler Highlife too. They are from the company created by Arguru (NoiseTrekker, ancestor of Renoise)

You have a RT kernel installed? It is recommended the one in AV Linux.

I haven’t tried them yet, but the guy behind the new KXStudio distro has a PPA with loads of Linux VST’s:

https://launchpad.net/~falk-t-j/+archive/lucid/

As I understood there would be access to sample data albeit not realtime one.

Can anyone verify? I had expectations that I could be able to write my own waveforms
generators (among other things)…

Im a veteran Linux user but in the last year I was making music with Mac OS X & Windows 7. I have the 3 installed.
I must said that Linux advanced a lot from my experience 3 years ago. Now, without rt kernel, only jack, renoise, a couple of vst´s and my guitar, the latency is really fine! The guitar sounds with less latency than in mac Os!!!

In Ardour one can open Windows vst´s! I want this in Renoise, it will be awesome!
Now I need to run Reaper in wine to use my vsts (or ardour), but I need them in Renoise…
Besides that, is great the developers make a Linux version.

If you have all the librarys installed, its fairly easy to compile ardour now. And if i remember you just have to put the steinberg sdk into one of the source folders before compiling. But I think it uses Fst as well which you have to compile first and put that into one the source folders…But honestly, it isnt really worth it.Its a big hassle trying to get your plugs to work. even some of the really simple plugins can crash.
what im interested in at the mo is “Pure Data”, seems like a good open version of Max…tho i havnt done anything good with it because im useless. Anybody else using it that could give me some tips of where to find good patches???

There are packages of Ardour with vst support.
http://dickmacinnis.com/DreamOS/ardourpro-vst_2.8.6_1dickmacinnis_i386.deb

ya need the “wine-devel” package id say. And “wine” sorry. You might as well install the whole god-damn planet while your at it;-)

Yes, you need wine. but its not a big problem, go to synaptic, search the package needed and install it.
Not having vst´s is a big problem. Thats not the problem of Renoise developers, I know, but it will be cool if we can use vsts.

Have you read the specification? I did now… And wrote this post.

I guess LV2 is better. At least I hope so.

I have the 3 big OS in my Computer (Linux, OS X, W 7), but I want to use linux. I´m trying the best to build a good environment, but the vst´s are so great, specially if you dont own hardware. And I dont want to run Renoise in Wine!

dssi is dead, it has been superseded by lv2. i was going to suggest dave robillard’s slv2 library, but it seems it is GPL2 and may not be practical to leverage from within renoise. perhaps a dlopen() wrapper like you do with jack?

I had a look at the LV2 docs, and it looks pretty good to me. I’d vote for LV2. DSSI seems like a waste of time