New Tool (2.7/8): Presonus Faderport Implementation

yes, ASAP

Update:

created a Renoise Tool Page. Still in quarantine.

Uploaded a first demo/tutorial YouTube video:

Successfully tested against 2.6 final (though tests not completed)

Not anylonger…
If you want to post an update without getting your stuff back to quarantine, add the revision underneath the “stable” version.

ok, thanks

sorry I don’t really understand how to add a revision. I just updated some text passages and now it’s again in quarantine ?

I guess Bantai has changed the tool-page script somewhere a while ago to coop with the legal terms bound to these scripts.
You can no longer add another entry on your tool-page and by that unaffect your tool-state. But in exchange, the quarantine page is visible to everybody, only your tool is not being listed in the public browse directory.

I think if the file and version doesn’t change, there would be no need to reset the quarantine state in these occasions though, Bantai perhaps using an Md5 checksum on the entries in order to put a page in quarantine yes/no? In that case if the author would revert to an older version that was accepted, no interaction from a moderator would be required as the older Md5 hash is still in the database.

ok thanks for the hint.

It would be cool if we could update the text-passages seperate from the release. For example I’m working right now on some YouTube tutorials for the current release and will add them to tool page ASAP.

May ask for another thing ?
Could a moderator change the headline for this thread into:

PreSonus FaderPort driver

released v1

or shall I start a new thread ? The hint “Duplex” and “started implentation with midi map” is somewhat misleading

Update: FaderPort driver 1.0 works definitely for Linux (see attached screenshot)

Today I installed Ubuntu 64 10.10 on a VirtualBox for Windows and added FaderPort as USB device to the virtual machine.
Installed Renoise 2.6 Linux-Edition and adjusted the names of the midi I/O Ports. Voila … works like a charm, no errors, no crashes so far.
Funny: you can even minimize the virtual box window and controlling Renoise with the FaderPort still functions.

So if it’s working that fine with a virtual machine, I guess it’s even more fun with a real installation.

So to enable the PreSonus FaderPort for Renoise and Linux you have to do the following:

• plug in the FaderPort USB cable

• open Renoise preferences -> midi settings -> select drop down box for in/out device and look for “FaderPort MIDI 1” or similar. Alternatively you can open Jack dialog -> connections.

• install FaderPort driver using drag&drop

• open Tools -> Tool Browser -> right click on FaderPort entry -> Reveal in Explorer -> open config.xml with a Text Editor and modify the MIDI I/O device names accordingly to the name from above, e.g.:
    <midi_out_name>FaderPort MIDI 1</midi_out_name>
    <midi_in_name>FaderPort MIDI 1</midi_in_name>

• That’s it, if it doesn’t connect automatically after saving the config.xml, try to connect/disconnet in Tools -> FaderPort -> Connect/Disconnect, or restart Renoise

I will update the manual ASAP with this installation description

Good news, thanks Bantai :)

UPDATE: good news for MAC Users:

works also out of the box on MAC OS Snow Leopard 10.6.2 32 bit (running on virtualbox). Midi device/port names are the same as for windows. So the default config works.
BUT: still made no complete regression tests for Linux and MAC OS !

Hey, I just saw the youtube presentation. Very impressive!

I think many of your ideas should be integrated into the various Duplex apps. For example, “record” opening the recording dialog, and a special mapping for accessing the “current track” in the Mixer. There’s definitely a lot of thought put into making this stuff useful.

Again, great work!

Thanks danoise :-). To hear that from somebody who knows the scripting framework and has a decent developing background is really a nice compliment.

The “auto-mapping” / “auto-binding” for the current selected track is completely based on notifiers/event handlers. I try to refactor/rearrange the
code a bit for my next release. Thereby, I’ve planed to outsource the handler-mechanism at least to an own text file (not necessarily an own class).
Maybe that can be re-used somehow, or serve as a template for you ?

Anyway, if you like the “current-track” binding, I guess you’ll like the “current-selected-dsp” binding, too. I’m right about creating a video about that.

Best regards, and I’m curious about your Duplex progress :slight_smile:

ok, did the trick and added my stuff to:

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/5276.page

A bit advertising is never bad :wink:

Fixed presonus forum link here

Also, I think you put it in the wrong place on the PreSonus forum (‘Studio One General Discussion’ - which is a piece of softare, rather than ‘All Other PreSonus Hardware’). I had trouble finding your post!

:)

Martin

Thanks for the fix, maybe I will add it to the the other Forums, too.

Regarding place: well, it’s not just hardware either (the Renoise integration is software), so I thought I sell Renoise as an instrument together with the driver. From a Studio One user perspective this should be more interesting. Moreover, there were the most people in this forum.

Then don’t describe Renoise as a DAW if you want to sell it as an instrument ;)

Actually I’ve described it as both, because IMO it is both. But you’re right: in that case I probably should’ve focused more on the instrument aspect :-).
TBH I find this whole topic a bit cumbersome, since I couldn’t find a subforum there that really fits.

On the other hand it’s no biggy either. More important for me is, that at least some PreSonus users are interested in it. Got some positive feedback.

Added a new video tutorial which demonstrates how the FaderPort can be used to control the DSP effects / devices:

Released v1.01 Today. This is a maintanence release for Renoise 2.6 ! (2.7 will follow soon)

• Reviewed and corrected manual: credits go to Organic IO
  • Bugfix: fixed a problem with already deleted devices

Hi, I just bought a Faderport and want to use it with the 2,7 betas.
Is it safe to just change the api version number for now?

Hey, good to see a new Faderport user :) !

Yes, that’s working. I’m using FaderPort with almost all betas now
and so far everything seems to run nice and smoothly. Especially the recording of automation envelopes
is a lot of fun with the new zoomable automation editor. E.g. perfect for manual level adjustment of recorded vocals.
The only thing about the betas: I experienced some “more than usual” Renoise crashes lately.
So the beta itself may be still a bit unstable.

BTW: the newest driver version for Renoise 2.7 is available at:

http://code.google.com/p/airmann-faderport-driver/source/browse/?r=Renoise_2_7_latest

Feedback and bug reports are as usual highly appreciated :)