New Tool (3.0): Akaizer

Yo guys i’m new to the boards! Can we get an update on this, i would love to see this feature working again :pleading_face:

Looks like the developer has kind of abandoned the project see here http://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com/
Seems the last working version was 32bit only.
You can download the CLI version as I have done previously and work with that in the command line of your OS ( Linux in my case ), but it would be neat to use it right within Renoise I guess.

1 Like

New to Renoise. So I take it akaizer is dead. Gutted, any alternative out there for Renoise? :drooling_face:

I’m using v1.4 of Akaizer for Renoise (downloaded from https://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com/2017/10/renoise.html). This version is working perfectly for me in Renoise 3.2.2 64-bit, so I’m not sure why everyone else is getting error messages :confused:

I’m using v1.4 of Akaizer for Renoise (downloaded from https://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com/2017/10/renoise.html 4). This version is working perfectly for me in Renoise 3.2.2 64-bit, so I’m not sure why everyone else is getting error messages

What OS are you using, Lauvdal? I’m on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.1, and I haven’t gotten any form of Akaizer to work - be it the standalone app or its Renoise implementation. You’re the lucky exception to what most people are encountering :smile:

Akaizer is one of those things I’ve really wished would keep functioning to the present day. I have no doubt this little jewel of software has been a very useful tool for many Renoise users on this forum. The majority of us probably don’t have access to the original hardware; and regardless, a software recreation is certainly much more convenient. The algorithms have a distinct sonic quality to them that evokes nostalgia in me and many others. I processed tons of samples through it before it was no longer compatible with my present OS.

So it should come as no surprise that I’m honestly rather irritated the project hasn’t been maintained. I keep an older OS running on another machine so I can run apps and plugins like Akaizer, for which support has been deprecated on systems like Catalina. Things don’t have to be this inefficient.

And the developer says the code will not be publicly available. I respectfully but strongly object to that choice. At least hand off the code to someone who’s willing to update it and not just keep it to yourself because you don’t feel like working on it. There must be at least a handful of people around here who’d eagerly take up the project of updating Akaizer. I’d make the modifications myself if I knew how, but I unfortunately don’t, so I can’t. :frowning:

I suspect many people here feel the same way, but you’re free to disagree with me. My contention is the developer should disclose the code to at least one person, if not everyone, by making it public on Github or something.

Seriously, the current situation can - and should - change.

(Also, this is my first post here on the Renoise forums, so Hello World! :smiley: )

1 Like

I answered this in another post, but for me the problem seemed to be the actual binary is not set to executable , try that within the downloaded folder ( obviously the file for your OS ) and you should be good to go.

I’m on Windows 10, so I can’t speak for Mac/Linux. I’ve got a pretty standard setup and as far as I know I haven’t got any weird settings in Renoise or anything. I didn’t do anything special to install the Akaizer tool either - I just installed it from the developer’s website, Renoise autoupgraded it and it just works. I’m pretty baffled as to why I’m apparently the Chosen One :grin:

I agree it’d be great if the Akaizer dev would make the code available since there’s obviously still a lot of interest in it and Renoise has a great community of tool developers that I’m sure would have no problem getting it working again.

(P.S. welcome to the forum :grinning:)

yeah it seems like, from my brief reading through this thread, that most of the problems are for Mac users. I used this tool just recently on my PC running windows 10 with no problem. recently I’ve been away from home so I brought my mac laptop with me and trying to use the tool on this thing does not work. hope we’ll get a fix to this at some point

Can’t download it. Says “Not authorized”

1 Like

Try this one!

Who said I don’t feel like working on it?! What a joke! I’ve maintained the project for FREE since 2005 until recent years. That’s quite a long time.

Two reasons why there won’t be a 64-bit macOS version:
(1) Apple are charging software developers an annual fee/tax to become “certified developers”. If you don’t pay to become certified then your software will not run on macOS. This would cost ME money, for something I offer for FREE.
(2) Lack of donations to my project. There has always been a note on the website asking to consider making a donation if you found the software useful and/or wanted to support further development. Donations have been very few and far between. You would laugh if I told you how much I’ve received in total over the last 16 years… it’s not much! Did you ever make a donation, SOMA?

As for giving the source code away… why should I? Akaizer was a tool I made for my own use. It took me years to develop and I put a lot of effort into it. I didn’t have to offer it to other musicians via the internet, but I did because I thought others might find it useful. Now you expect me to give away the code for free too?! That’s like asking Coca-Cola for their secret recipe. Just because Akaizer is freeware, doesn’t mean it should be open source as well. Unfortunately there are too many “vultures” out there that would try and profit from my hard work if the source code was made available.

Sorry if I seem just a bit pissed off but it’s comments like yours that make me wish I hadn’t bothered releasing the software. You seem to think you’re entitled to use it, then cry about it when it stops working. If you want to blame someone, blame Apple. They didn’t have to drop 32-bit support from their OS but they went ahead and did it anyway… and they could learn a thing or two about backwards compatibility from Microsoft, who still support 32-bit applications even on the latest Windows 11. Shame on Apple.

8 Likes

Just curious as to what your wishlist features are for akaizer? As it stands, I love it. Thank you for sharing your creation with the world! I need to get on with buying you a beer soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey man, just ignore that guy. There’s plenty of people such as myself who are very grateful for the software and enjoy it a lot. Is there anything that we as a community could do to help you accomplish making a 64 bit version?

2 Likes

For mac users you can use jbridge? Is a plugin that bridge 32 bits to 64…maybe helps.

1 Like

You have all the right to be pised off
Some dudes just think they are entitled to everything and want it all for free without ever giving something back to the community .

thanks for the akaizer project

1 Like

what if there was a new way for donations?

one where we say: collectively, pay the developer fee that apple imposed on them, annually, (every year) and a bit extra for hardware upgrades and gifts to find the developers creating from a better place?
That way us users don’t keep making ourselves look like stooges, without something re-balancing the system.
Like community based payment, that lets those with the ability to donate, donate what they can for everyone to benefit from it. then allows those who donated to tell jerks to sit down and shutup they arise. -even though idea wouldn’t have arose without someone having become upset.

so like how we pay for that dev license?

Thanks for making the Renoise tool and windows app. I just made a donation.

The Apple verification code is easily bypassed by entering this code into terminal window, dragging the app/vst/component etc after the code with a space and hitting enter.

I’ve had to do this for many new plugins that Apple attempts to block. It works on all.

Please reconsider holding it up for catalina etc. It was a great tool and I was mighty bummed when it stopped working after being pushed into updating from mojave.
It was a great tool in my shed. Great work.
Rob

Hi Ben,

It’s easy enough for Mac OS users to circumvent the binary check with:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine executableName

As to your second point, I will happily donate whatever you need to finish the 64-bit port to Mac if you can let us know whether you have time and interest in doing the work.

is it possible to do similar on Windows? I’m not that tech savvy. I get the same error message others are getting. It still works for me in 3.4.2, but not 3.4.3.