New Tool (3.0): Easy Tune

I saved this as .xrni;

Attachment 4884 not found.

Cool, thanks for that.
I think I have fixed the bug now. The new version is on the tools page.

Cheers!

Seems to work perfectly now, thanks!

Thanks. I can attempt the switch to 3.0 now :)

You know youā€™re amazing right?

1 Like

dunno why it doesnā€™t work over here. The tool browser shows that itā€™s been installed ā€˜properlyā€™ but it doesnā€™t pop up anywhere else ( in the actual list of tools) so no access for me to play with it so far. The Api is already set to ā€œ4ā€ā€¦ Iā€™ve no more ideas so far how to get it working. What can I do to get it working?

What can I do to get it working?

Reading the instructions usually helps :slight_smile:

From the tools page:

The tool provides a number of menu options and an assignable kb shortcut which affect how it runs:

• Instrument List Context Menu: Tunes all samples in the selected instrument
  • Sample Waveform Context Menu: Tunes the currently selected sample (or range)
  • Sample List Context Menu: Provides a sub menu from which you can choose to tune the ā€˜Selected Sampleā€™ or ā€˜All Samplesā€™
  • Keyboard Shortcut - Tunes all samples in the selected instrument

If you right click in the instrument list, sample list or the sample waveform itself you will see various options

Reading the instructions usually helps :slight_smile:

If you right click in the instrument list, sample list or the sample waveform itself you will see various options

thanks. but at no place, no instruction there is never a word mentioned about right click for seeing various options. Atleast I still cannot find it, just from your reply. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ps this is all what I found ( I can no see nothing about right click)

Detects the pitch of a sample and then sets the transpose and finetune values so that it plays at C. It can work on all samples within an instrument so useful for building layered instruments and keeping layers in tune.

Works best on monophonic sounds that have a constant pitch.

Usage:
The sample tuning is calculated from the entire sample or the selected sample range in the Sample Editor.

The tool provides a number of menu options and an assignable kb shortcut which affect how it runs:

• Instrument List Context Menu: Tunes all samples in the selected instrument
  • Sample Waveform Context Menu: Tunes the currently selected sample (or range)
  • Sample List Context Menu: Provides a sub menu from which you can choose to tune the ā€˜Selected Sampleā€™ or ā€˜All Samplesā€™

• Instrument List Context Menu : Tunes all samples in the selected instrument
  • Sample Waveform Context Menu : Tunes the currently selected sample (or range)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context_menu

A context menu (also called contextual , shortcut , and popup or pop-up menu ) is a menu in a graphical user interface (GUI) that appears upon user interaction, such as a right-click mouse operation

It was there, but you need to know what a context menu is :slight_smile: .

Ah, me and my fancy words!

As Djeroek said I meant Right Click Menu when I said Context Menu.

Did you get it working in the end?

thanks guys for cominā€™ back on my last comment. Tbh havenā€™t sort it out sofar, cause exploring some territories of synthesis has seduced my mind completely for weeks, but I see the easy tune (all samples) thingy in the context menu now. Gonna be more busy with it soon, since finally itā€™s there. Many thanks! ps Didnā€™t really know context menu = right click. Must be fun to read that funny questions of mine :slight_smile:

Ah, me and my fancy words!

As Djeroek said I meant Right Click Menu when I said Context Menu.

Did you get it working in the end?

Appreciate this tool, fast and easy to use. Saves a ton of time and makes old badly-maintained sample collections feel new and useful again.

Sorry, but this dont work for me!

Tested on 8 single cycle waveforms from AKWF pack ( all in D key) , and only one from them was tuned to C with terrible finetuning, others tuned to differents (NOT THE SAME!) wrong keys.

Monitored on GTune and Mtuner plugins.

It seems, find problem. If sampleā€™s DC offset not 0, easy tune not work. :wink:

I had to hunt this thread down and give my personal thanks. Youā€™ve solved a problem thatā€™s been plaguing me for years now!

Iā€™m a hardware guy. Always have been and always will be. I got hooked on analog synths a few years back and found the tuning problems to be annoying, but I could work with them so long as I was either using DCOā€™s or VCOā€™s couple with digital synths as a reference tuning. Flash forward to about this time last year, I got bit by that certain bug: Modular. Previously, I had a Dot Com system, a Vostok, and a few semi-modulars, but hadnā€™t tasted the hard stuff yet. Bought a Happy Ending Kit so I could get a couple of the weird modules to accompany what I had. Within a month, Iā€™d sold nearly every synth I owned and had about eight rows of Eurocrack. Actually using it became the real challenge. Since I like melodies to accompany my modular weirdness, tuning quickly became a nightmarish affair.

I found a workaround: Sample my patches and tune them after the fact. Got a Fantom G and was much happier with it. Lots of effects onboard and per part, fantastic sampling engine, but there were a couple things I wasnā€™t happy with. Tuning was still a little bit of work, though. When building a patch on the Fantom, I set aside an extra oscillator to play a straight saw wave and would tune the sampled oscillator to that C. It works, but itā€™s not perfect. It was good enough to where now, my main work are consists exclusively of the Fantom G6, an Akai MPC5000, eighteen rows of Eurocrack, and 48-spaces of Dot Com, all sequenced with ZTracker. For my own personal music, this is excellent, but what I forgot to take into account when making this grand migration was that occasionally I do get called on for writing crappy dance tracks and remix work. For those projects, I have to work fast, and fast isnā€™t something that happens with this setup. This arrangement is about spending weeks on end farming samples and then composing my own tracks after the fact. Also, I have a lot of sequencing modules, but creating decent loops is kind of a pain.

Thatā€™s when I remembered that Renoise existed. Iā€™d tried it in the past and had much frustration because the MIDI implementation is a little on the sloppy side compared to other MIDI sequencers and DAWs. Now that Iā€™m sampling everything, thatā€™s not as big of an issue, so I downloaded the demo again. So much of it is seamless. The ability to sample within the program itself alone is beautiful. But man, tuning is even more tedious than it was on the Fantom! At least the Fantom has knobs, so itā€™s like tuning a guitar kinda.

Thatā€™s when I discovered Easytune. It works beautifully! Now I can put together a usable patch faster than ever: Build the patch on my modular, sample to Renoise, right click the sample to run Easytune, adjust envelopes and filters to taste, make some noise. Easy peasy!

TL;DR: You just saved my ass when doing grunt work!

Iā€™m getting the same error others had when I try it in the instrument list or the sample window. Is there any way to get it to work? Thanks.

It seems, find problem. If sampleā€™s DC offset not 0, easy tune not work. :wink:

Well spotted :slight_smile: this tool uses a really basic pitch detection algorithm, it simply runs the sample through a low pass filter and then counts the zero crossings. So yes if the DC offset isnā€™t right it may have problems. I think I did put in DC correction code in there but still worth using the Renoise DC correct if you have problems.

I had to hunt this thread down and give my personal thanks. Youā€™ve solved a problem thatā€™s been plaguing me for years now!

Iā€™m a hardware guy. Always have been and always will be. I got hooked on analog synths a few years back and found the tuning problems to be annoying, but I could work with them so long as I was either using DCOā€™s or VCOā€™s couple with digital synths as a reference tuning. Flash forward to about this time last year, I got bit by that certain bug: Modular. Previously, I had a Dot Com system, a Vostok, and a few semi-modulars, but hadnā€™t tasted the hard stuff yet. Bought a Happy Ending Kit so I could get a couple of the weird modules to accompany what I had. Within a month, Iā€™d sold nearly every synth I owned and had about eight rows of Eurocrack. Actually using it became the real challenge. Since I like melodies to accompany my modular weirdness, tuning quickly became a nightmarish affair.

I found a workaround: Sample my patches and tune them after the fact. Got a Fantom G and was much happier with it. Lots of effects onboard and per part, fantastic sampling engine, but there were a couple things I wasnā€™t happy with. Tuning was still a little bit of work, though. When building a patch on the Fantom, I set aside an extra oscillator to play a straight saw wave and would tune the sampled oscillator to that C. It works, but itā€™s not perfect. It was good enough to where now, my main work are consists exclusively of the Fantom G6, an Akai MPC5000, eighteen rows of Eurocrack, and 48-spaces of Dot Com, all sequenced with ZTracker. For my own personal music, this is excellent, but what I forgot to take into account when making this grand migration was that occasionally I do get called on for writing crappy dance tracks and remix work. For those projects, I have to work fast, and fast isnā€™t something that happens with this setup. This arrangement is about spending weeks on end farming samples and then composing my own tracks after the fact. Also, I have a lot of sequencing modules, but creating decent loops is kind of a pain.

Thatā€™s when I remembered that Renoise existed. Iā€™d tried it in the past and had much frustration because the MIDI implementation is a little on the sloppy side compared to other MIDI sequencers and DAWs. Now that Iā€™m sampling everything, thatā€™s not as big of an issue, so I downloaded the demo again. So much of it is seamless. The ability to sample within the program itself alone is beautiful. But man, tuning is even more tedious than it was on the Fantom! At least the Fantom has knobs, so itā€™s like tuning a guitar kinda.

Thatā€™s when I discovered Easytune. It works beautifully! Now I can put together a usable patch faster than ever: Build the patch on my modular, sample to Renoise, right click the sample to run Easytune, adjust envelopes and filters to taste, make some noise. Easy peasy!

TL;DR: You just saved my ass when doing grunt work!

Great to read this! share the love and post some patches :slight_smile:

Iā€™m getting the same error others had when I try it in the instrument list or the sample window. Is there any way to get it to work? Thanks.

What errors do you get? Post a link to the sample and I will investigate

Great Tool and thank you :slight_smile: I would love for it to have an option for tuning the result to other than A=440 :slight_smile: just a thought :slight_smile:

Great Tool and thank you :slight_smile: I would love for it to have an option for tuning the result to other than A=440 :slight_smile: just a thought :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Not sure what you mean by your request, the tool simply tunes a sample so the tuning matches the right notes i.e. A=440. If you want to tune the sample afterwards you can simply transpose the instrumentā€¦ unless you mean something else?

Thanks for the feedback smile.png

Not sure what you mean by your request, the tool simply tunes a sample so the tuning matches the right notes i.e. A=440. If you want to tune the sample afterwards you can simply transpose the instrumentā€¦ unless you mean something else?

yes of course, but if i have a preset for certain tuning, then i can use it to treat a whole library much faster than detuning every time with cents (sorry for the late reply i though iā€™d get an email, maybe should check account prefs or smth)