New Tool (3.0): Midi Convert

Hi Amok (and others)

Can you try the attached Midi Convert v0.6 beta?

I tried to copy the way Bantai did it in the old PHP version. For each instrument I rotate the channel. If there are more than 16 instruments, the channel goes back to 1 and starts again.

Can you and others see if this works better? Breaks some other stuff? Etc? The more testing the better. Feedback such as “works for me!” welcome. :)

Thanks.

Just tried it. Same result. Although i reduced the amount of instruments to 11 (0B)

Unfortunatly I dont have a synthesizer to test it. Playing in WinAmp and Quicktime result in piano playing only.

Maybe it has something to do with the media players in general or I borked my midi settings somehow. I only get audio when i set to Microsoft Wavetable.

I’m more interested in the synthesizer. I’m also interested in getting feedback from people using this tool with bigger name DAWs. Still works as expected?

Quicktime and WinAmp will always just be piano. Nothing I can do about that.

Cheers.

i use studio one as my main daw

importing the midi file to this daw seems to work ok for me

what doesn’t work is the Fx command (cut the note after x ticks) and that’s why i don’t find the script enough useful, as it means too much manual editing of the notes in studio one after import

but still, cheers for the efforts conner_bw

Please try the following attachment:

Attachment 2084 not found.

In addition to channel rotating, I’ve added support for the Fx command (cut the note after x ticks)

Does it work as expected?

Feedback from all welcome. I’m testing in this thread before posting to the tools page.

Regards.

whoa, cool, fast update!

it works, only thing i can find is this:

the notes with Fx commands seem to require that “note off” commands are placed out somewhere above them, otherwise the Fx notes won’t be rendered as they should

so this works fine (paste on a renoise track with 3 note columns, vol + pan columns enabled):

[details=“Click to view contents”]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<patternclipboard.blockbuffer doc_version=“0”>

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

D-5

OFF

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

C-5

OFF

NoteColumn

F-5

F4

F-5

F4

F-5

F4

F-5

OFF

F-5

F4

F-5

F4

F-5

F4

E-5

OFF

NoteColumn

A-5

F6

A-5

F6

A-5

F6

A-5

OFF

A-5

F6

A-5

F6

A-5

F6

G-5

OFF

NoteColumn

</patternclipboard.blockbuffer>
[/details]

while this doesn’t work as expected:

Click to view contents <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<patternclipboard.blockbuffer doc_version=“0”>

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

D-5

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

D-5

F2

D-5

NoteColumn

F-5

F4

F-5

F4

F-5

F4

F-5

F-5

F4

F-5

F4

G-5

F4

G-5

NoteColumn

A-5

F6

A-5

F6

A-5

F6

A-5

A-5

F6

A-5

F6

B-5

F6

B-5

NoteColumn

EffectColumn

</patternclipboard.blockbuffer>

what happens in studio one:

the three notes with Fx commands, which are following from notes where there are no “OFF” commands somewhere under them, are placed out at the correct position in the midi sequencer along with the rest of the notes

but their note length are not correct, they are chopped into lengths so thin they’re barely visible and they don’t playback the same as in renoise

@.xrns

I just tested the XML you pasted and it works fine for me in Garageband and Amadeus Pro.

I’m not sure I understand the problem.

Can you send me (did you get my email?):

1. a test XRNS
  2. a render of the XRNS
  3. the generated mid & mid.txt files
  4. a render of the playback in Studio One

Maybe it’s related to your TPL setting in Song Settings, your BPM and LPB… I’m not sure what I’m doing differently or what you are hearing that I’m not.

Thanks!

yes, strange, i tested again and it seems to work now

don’t know what i did wrong in the first place…

anyway, now this is a really useful tool, nice job conner_bw !

of course it would be really awesome if it could also import midi back into renoise, but i see that’s planned for a future version

cheers

Ok. Thanks!

I’ve posted a new version to the tools page:

http://tools.renoise.com/tools/midi-convert

Regards,

Hi all,

On export I get a error message saying "‘main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers’. What can I do to solve this problem? It has worked for a few exports, maybe 10 or so. I’m on OSX 10.6.8

Next time you have this bug notice, post the contents inside this thread so the script maker can try and fix it. You can copy text from the error screen window and paste it inside this forum.

Sorry about that, in full it reads:

"‘/Users/FCP/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V2.7.0/Scripts/Tools/com.renoise.MidiConvert.xrnx/main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors.

Please contact the author (Dac Chartrand, Marvin Tjon) for assistance…

Unknown Lua interpreter error occurred!"

Owyeah, I downgraded to 2.7.0, I had this error in 2.7.2 as well.

Hmm, don’t think he can do much with:

anything else you can mention? Info about the song / track content your trying to convert? Maybe you can post the song?

Sorry, I am again a bit hasty. I think the problem occurs because the song was made in a previous version of Renoise, I think 2.6 but maybe even before that. I had to upgrade the song to the latest version of Renoise. Probably that’s where things go wrong. It went well for a few exports, it just suddenly stopped working. However, I checked with a pattern made in 2.7.x and that exports fine.

Maybe I can do another test with an older version of midi convert and Renoise 2.6.x? Can I get an older version of midiconvert somewhere?

“Unknown Lua interpreter error occurred!” happens because of crappy coroutine error reporting. Not sure why Lua/Renoise sucks in this regard. It’s frustrating for me too. :(

If you want me to help, I need you to do a few steps.

First, enable scripting as described here: GitHub - renoise/xrnx: The official Renoise Lua Scripting repository

Next, open “/Users/FCP/Library/Preferences/Renoise/<REPLACE_ME>/Scripts/Tools/com.renoise.MidiConvert.xrnx/main.lua” in a text editor. On line 5 and 6, change:

dbug_mode = false  
coroutine_mode = true  

To:

dbug_mode = true  
coroutine_mode = false  

Now restart Renoise. Open Tools -> Scripting Terminal & Editor, then MIDI export the problem file.

WIth the changes you made in the previous steps, this will dump a big pile into the terminal. It will also repeatedly ask “This script is taking too long, Cancel?” Don’t cancel until you get the error.

Then, paste the results here, please.

Bonus: Attach the XRNS that is causing problems so I can test.

Thanks.

This command will get you version 0.33:

svn export -r927 https://xrnx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Tools/com.renoise.MidiConvert.xrnx/  

You (or someone else) will have to zip and package it yourself, though.

Odd. I did what you described, and when I wanted to export to post here, I received no more errors. So I looked at the midi files I exported and it now looks like an entirely new problem: it will only properly export selections made on the pattern 00, and only when pattern 00 is first in the sequence. It fails any other patterns, even when they are first in the sequence. For now I’m happy enough, but I can send you the track if you want to dive into it.

Thanks for your help tho, I appreciate it!

Yes, please send me the track. I’d like to fix any bug. Click the homepage in my sig, then click CV for my email.

A mail went your way. Thanks again!

Yup, there was a bug. It’s been there for months. Can’t believe I never saw it before… Humiliation.

Version 0.61 should fix it. Attached to this post. Please test. If all goes well i’ll put it up on the tools page tomorrow.

query - could this receive an additional improvement which would allow one to save a .mid of a selection, to a specific folder, please?