The "how To Achieve That Sound" Thread

So, how about the guitar stabs like in 4:45 or 4:52? I really got myself in this western-style music. I borrowed a guitar but I can’t figure out which effects to use to make it sound like that. I bet that for a guitarist out there it’s no big deal. Thanks!

Both from a historical and signal flow point of view, research old western film classics and surf music. Notable composer of western films Ennio Morricone and on a different note, influences by Chet Atkins.

With that said… a basic signal flow for a western sound, not including scales:

Gretsch pickups > Fuzz > Spring Reverb.

Some random examples from one of my guitar heroes.

youtube: Gretsch Knotty Pine Western Roundup

youtube: Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet

Ok thanks a lot man, but what exactly is fuzz? Is it distortion + high pass filter? Unfortunately I don’t have any guitar fx, and I would like to know how to emulate it in renoise or other software.

My memory is a bit rough on my fuzz researches but basically you want to excite odd harmonics and it will most likely look like a square wave.

Because of this, most fuzz effects aren’t friendly with complex chords, best with solo’s and power chords instead.

Software wise, there is a free fuzz pedal vst by Audio Damage

I know of only one spring reverb vst but it requires an iLok, but you can use the native chorus but for a vibrato effect instead which is also well suited for that western sound.

Fuzz vs Overdrive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIIfpsWr3-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bsYiG53Pg

Thanks for very detailed answer, I got that sound real fast. THX!

Vietkong asked me about “Clint Eastwood Scales”.

Short answer: Slap on a spanish or pentatonic scale with some galloping type rhythms, and call it a day.

Long answer: Don’t worry about scales too much.

Spaghetti Westerns were for the most part a Hollywood Mythos creation and some of it were heavily inspired by Japanese Samurai films.
I don’t know if the music used in those Spaghetti Western’s have credible historical value.

I think cowboys were probably too busy trying to survive, so music was probably a bit of luxury,
however, if some of that luxury was to be part of their lives, then my guess is it would have to be a handed down thing…

like a family heirloom, some sort of acoustic instrument, culture and scales attached.
Immigration and convergence of people in The Old Wild West might have helped evolve its definitive sound.

With that said, the composers and musicians that rose to prominence representing the genre sort of speak were classically trained.
I’d like to think that there is some sort of respect in their decision making to capture the essence of The Old Wild West or at least the stories being told in the films.

So when I say, don’t worry about scales too much, what I mean is…
it is much better to be inspired by the drive and core action of human beings, the musical result is usually more universal that way, in my humble opinion.

By the way Clint Eastwood is Old West Action (anagram).

Additional thread from another site: Why do western soundtracks sound “western”?, notable post#19

Ok thanks it gave me lot to think about. I knew that many western movies have almost exactly the same stories like samurai movies, only transposed to the wild west world… The anagram :w00t: , I wasn’t aware of it :).

Thanks for helping with researching about it, I couldn’t find anything useful by myself, because tag “western” along with “music” reffers just to eurpean music mostly I guess.

I’m just about to combine complextro/hard electro with electric giutar riffs like in “crime and the city solution’s” Six Bells Chime, but it still didn’t sounded western-like. Gonna post it in song forum when it’s done.

Thanks again 00.1!

im in love with this song,

and i realy like the sound of the intro. i tried to recreate that introsound a while ago with the operator in ableton live (3years) and was quiet satisfied - but i cant remenber how i did it. something with freq-modulation i guess.

would be cool if anyone can help me how to make it with the onboard effects in renoise!

Here is an example of how you can get pretty close to the sound in the song with just native renoise effects.

Its not exact, but hopefully it helps a bit.

can anyone help me out on makin’ this minimal Julio Bashmore basssynth…?:

I’m talking bout this kinda synth:
http://soundcloud.com/juliobashmoremusic/julio-bashmore-au-seve

(1.16)

(0.16)

I’m having trouble creating the punch in it… (the kick-kinda sound in the synth)

you say it yourself: the kick-kinda sound in it
so you start pitchbending it :D

idea; also when you download this be sure to mute the wacky drums section and fiddle with the depth, feedback and stages parameters on the phaser for cool ‘distortion’ effects

This one is pretty close to the reference and has even more punch than the original.
DOWNLOAD

Cheers

Totally casual.

thanks man!! but a little bit of native fx imho… I mainly use vst’s

damn this sounds cool… how did you make this?

main bassline… anyone?

main bassline… anyone?

This is a simple saw wave, layered with a deep padsound. Put a lowpass-filter on it, adjust to your needs, probably add a slight bit of chorus and you’re there.

Hey everyone,

https://youtu.be/KhOmBYp7Vi4?t=1m48s

I really like the sounds that this beat is constructed of in this piece.

My initial prediction is that this is some kind of breakbeat heavily processed and then layered with digital drums.

Starting at 1:48 is what I am talking about.

What is the higher pitched hit that comes after the kicks? Is that more of a hi-hat or more of a snare sound?

Why is the kick so…crunchy? Is has such a nice sound. I hear a lot of layers going on just in that one kick sound.

I appreciate it!

Pad / drone sound in the intro from 0:00 to 1:03? I’m guessing it’s granular probably, or maybe it’s just heavy reverb was with some fx on the isolated sound that appears from 1:00 - 1:03?

And the lush pad stabs that appear at 1:04, 1:11, and onwards? They sound so lovely and organic.

Anyway any tips or links to resources or tutorials if it’s easier than explaining in long winded text? Cheers

was recently impressed from this video at 6:30 (Nod-E)

how the sequencer works, easy to sync and produce something organic sound

Hey everyone,

https://youtu.be/KhOmBYp7Vi4?t=1m48s

I really like the sounds that this beat is constructed of in this piece.

My initial prediction is that this is some kind of breakbeat heavily processed and then layered with digital drums.

Starting at 1:48 is what I am talking about.

What is the higher pitched hit that comes after the kicks? Is that more of a hi-hat or more of a snare sound?

Why is the kick so…crunchy? Is has such a nice sound. I hear a lot of layers going on just in that one kick sound.

I appreciate it!

I’d say it’s FM percussion, but not sure how to make it. Maybe looking at the sounds/construction of some FM drumsynth would help.