What Would You Like To See In A Renoise 3.0?

This supposed “full version of Renoise” is .3 versions away.

Judging by the speed of releases up to now there’s a lot of unrealistic dreaming in here.

I would like to see Renoise 3.0 as the final stamp on the tracker legacy.

Then, I would like to see a new attempt at something else that doesn’t have all the baggage. A cultural revolution. Bold, new, workflows.

I’m very noob to renoise, but what I would like in the future would be the ability to directly hack from the midi keyboard into a track that records exactly what I’m playing…

…what I found in the forum is that this feature seems to conflict (somehow) with the nature of renoise itself (if I understood well…), but it would be a nice to have…

…or am I missing something here?

Kind regards,

AgliOli

wat??

1. disable quantize
  2. hit play and record button
  3. play the midi (or computer-) keyboard
    the result is a rather precise reproduction of what you’ve played.

And if “rather” is not precise enough, raise pattern size and LPB.

my suggestion is

• bifilter with morph and parrallel serial knob that could handle fast automation (also formant stuff steiner/ms20 dirty stuff and keep the moog one it’s good)
  • better sampler with round robin (to avoid machine gun stuff), filter/env per sample and also global one
  • good impulse loader that could be use for reverb and guitar cab
  • without script ability to record midi into multiple tracks

HORIZONTAL audio tracks, with an arranger…please! Also what Keith303 said.

A while ago, I suggest a built in versioning system. I know you can have an external system, but an internal system would allow you to do things that an external system couldn’t. Since renoise knows all the data formats, it could utilize that knowledge for extra power that an external system couldn’t.

Another idea that popped into my head tonight when I was working on a track I hadn’t worked on in a while was a “diff” feature. I’d love to be able to see the difference between tracks/patterns at a fairly quick glance so I can see the evolution of the song and where I last made changes. This would come in really handy for collaborative work (in the same way a versioning system would also help collaboration – though my initial concept for versioning was a more personal affair, I guess one could expand it to a more traditional public/server/shared versioning).

Just a couple thoughts.

Isn’t that what everyone else tried? Arent there are ton of other DAWs with different workflows?

Renoise is like a comfortable pair of shoes because of the tracker format, don’t fix what aint broken.

• Audiotracks (vertical)
  • A dual-screen friendly Renoise

that’s all i REALLY need.

How would that fit along with the rest of Renoise, going in the opposite direction so would not be against it to relate to it. You already have this in the way of the sample editor.

my turn:
MIDI vsti and MIDI routing
independent tracks length
native freeze (tool is troublesome cause is rendering through master track)
automated sampler
sidechain
note repeat (mpc style)

• Improved automation GUI. I’d like to see more than one parameter, and also parameters selectable from different tracks.
  • Comments for tracks, patterns, DSPs, etc. By this I mean multiline texts, optionally shown as tooltips (I know the script by fladd, but I think the song comment should be reserved to song comments.)
  • Improved visualisation of routing.
  • More than one song / load song in background while playing another one / playlist / song mixing
  • Audio streaming from HD
  • Everything detachable, yes of course! ;)

I don’t want anything new, I want old 303 mono bass machine back!

I don’t want anything more than the pleasant surprises the renoise devs always cook up.

Better shuffle/swing. It would be cool to use midi templates. This is an important musical feature, something i really miss!

Yeah B Complex! The person that got me into Renoise, really like your stuff man. Big DnB fan here :)

I’m not really the kinda guy that understands everything in renoise and I have to admit I don’t understand some of the suggestions, but I like those ones.

Emphasis on the arranger, don’t mind the vertical layout but I could go with a horiontal one. (Maybe the option to switch between horizontal and vertical?)

I’d also find it nice to have an automation for the pitch thing that only works with the 02xx function so far, or basically for all sample commands that are done in the effect column, I mean you can change the volume in this colomn for example but you can also automate volume, so… And I support the idea of a piano roll aswell.

copious penis.

Renoise ]I[

::: features ::: features ::: features :::

NEW META DEVICES
* a tone tracker : works like a guitar tuner, analyses the input sound frequency, displays the associated tone, and behaves like the key tracker
it will be usefull to make auto-tuners and much more

• a 10 bands “spectral follower” (it works like the signal follower but it has 10 inputs for 10 definable bands and 10 destination outputs)
    it will be usefull to make vocoders/robotizers and much more
  • a doofer ™ device

SAMPLE EDITOR

• a new floating special sample editor timeline, not only able to deal with beats/samples/minutes/0SXX but also relative pattern line numbers
  • a warp mode in the sample editor that is able to “timestretch” samples when moving slices to the left or to the right
  • an easy sample pitchshifter mode when moving slices up or down with the mouse, it raises or lowers the relative tone
  • round robin sample selection mode for the multi-sampled instruments
  • NEW ability to load sound samples from AVI video containers (videos should be uncompressed for speed reasons)
  • ability to NATIVELY save some big samples in the .OGG file format

AUTOMATION

• external editor (& detachable editor) for big size automation curves
  • NEW TINY COLORED VERTICAL automations curves could also be alternatively displayed, where the hex values of pattern commands are naturally displayed

PATTERN EDITOR

• zoomable sections of pattern editor for granular micro-tunings and that has a “specific foreground color, or specific font”
  • you could zoom x2, x4, x8, x16, x32, x64…
  • zooming a pattern section would automatically zoom the automation curves
  • pattern commands : ability to display classical hex values OR tiny colored VERTICAL automation curves

GROUPS/TRACKS
  • select, drag and drop “multiple” groups/tracks with the mouse (it can’t be done for now)
  • when playing samples from AVI containers, display a video thumnail in the track scope space
  • concerning this feature, renoise would only accept uncompressed audio/video content for speed reasons

SCOPES
* could of course display audio view but also video thumbnails/previews in each individual tracks

NEW “Visualisation TAB” at the top of Renoise
* there would be another tab, next to “master scopes”, that displays LUA-based scriptable visualisations (like in WinAMP) or uncompressed video content

NEW TRACK DSPs

• a NEW “Binaural 3D Simulator” that works with headphones and that is able to place every input sound source inside a virtual 3D space
  • a NEW instrument (sample-based ) Sample Pitch Shifter DSP, that shifts the pitch of the current sample in the default instrument, in “cents” like in the instrument pitch envelope editor
  • a NEW “Eyecandy” DSP, that controls
  • the RGB values for for each background track colors/scope colors (it will allow a bit of visual fun during some xrns playbacks)
  • the AVI video sample that has to be displayed in the new visualisation tab (that will allow some nice granular video/visuals during playbacks)
  • DSP/VST listview : Easily Select, Drag (with the mouse) DSPs & VSTs and drop them at the right place within the DSP/VST listview

INSTRUMENTS

• double the range of cents (2400) in the pitch enveloppe instrument editor
  • VSTi instruments could be more easily Dragged & Dropped within groups/nodes of the main VSTi Instrument listview
  • Renoise ]I[brings back the native Noisetrekkr compatible synth ! :rolleyes:

EXPORT

• basic AVI (uncompressed) file exporter, that is able to mix rendered music with Visualisations from the new Visualisation Tab
  • FLAC/OGG file format song exporter

LUA
  • Winamp-like Visualisation Library allowing coders to control a new 2D surface “Visualisation Tab”, displaying at the top of renoise (next to the master scopes tab)
    circles, bars, colors, sprites, images, or even video frames

CONTENT RIGHTS MANAGMENT (is it a good or bad idea ;) ?)

• ability to add a 128x128/ pixels picture in the .xrns, the picture could appear next to the song comments
  • when releasing a xrns song, musicians can “lock/protect” their songs and samples, with a strong encryption mechanism
  • protected songs can just be “played” through renoise but samples can’t be rendered, nor edited, comments can’t be edited, the 128x128 song picture can’t be changed,
    patterns can’t be changed… no LUA script can’t break the protection scheme.

COMMUNITY
NEW “RMC” MENU SECTION
* RMC : Renoise Music Charts

• ability to choose lots of music genres and to load & play renoise songs (that can be protected BUT must be uncopyrighted)
  • ability to vote for some tracks (1 vote / day and by registered user )
  • charts are based on votes and refreshed everyday
  • songs are stored in the backstage, (maximum allowed space : 50 MB) : only registred users can be displayed in Renoise Music Charts
  • songs should be 100% renoise native (no external plugins allowed)

heeee… that’s all !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also maybe a feature that synchronises two computer’s sequencers in real time over the internet? So that 2 persons go on renoise, connect with eachother and when one does something it is synchronised on both computers. Would be a great way to do collaborations, there was a plugin like that called VSTunnel but it is not working anymore. Probably a long shot but worth a mention.