Which Frequency (hz) Is Bad For Ear?

yea, 125 and 250 hz bug me too. dunno why.

Im not sure if this is true.

But i heard a rumour that at a certain party there was a beat that was equally fast as a human heartbeat… so its synced to the heartbeat of a person perfectly… then when the music stopped his heart actually stopped?

Can that really happen?

:walkman: Nope!

Basically any fantastical sounding quote about what sound can do is rubbish. It can’t kill people, knock down buildings, stop hearts from working (unless you had a heart condition), put air in your blood, break bones, cause nose bleeds etc etc.

I keep going back to the point about car SPL contests. These are still the loudest environments on this planet so far, and these vehicles are not exploding, and likewise, the speakers producing this sound have cones made out of plastic, and even still PAPER. If this damage could occur, the speaker would disintegrate first before anything stronger would.

The only medium you can cause damage or interferance with sound is through water, simply because you are agrivating a mass (the water). You cannot replicate this through air - its possible you could, but the power requirements of such a task would be in such a cataclysmic level, you might as well just use a bomb ;)

It can break windows and glasses though, depending on the frequency and the resonance caused by it…
I guess this fact has been used to make up stories on their own.

Yes, because glass can be formed to have a resonance of its own, and is brittle enough to be affected by it (the wet finger on the edge of a wine glass trick) so if you can replicate this frequency with enough amplitude, its ‘possible’. Id like to see a video of this replicated though…

You certainly couldn’t do it though singing, as the old myth portrays…

http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/glass/

They said the glass would have to have weaknesses not visible to the human eye in order for it to happen.

You can do it through singing, they got it to happen on Mythbusters.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7…9526&hl=en#

…they certainly had to try it with a lot of glasses before it worked, but an average box of wine glasses contained one. So maybe it’s just that lots of glasses are imperfect enough for it to work.

Not unamplified you can’t though.

Yep, I suppose its about as accurate as saying you can kick a brick wall down with your foot. Possible, if all the cement is cracked already.

The guy in the video does it without amplification.

Yes, but on one inferior glass on a whole selection like you said.

But he could break any of the glasses with amplification.

No one can just pick up a glass, and break it with their voice, unless there is something wrong with it :)

I broke a wineglass once with my finger(wet) on the top-edge of glass and making circles you know that the wineglass creates a sinewave-tone. everyone created a high-tone nothing happened… but somehow i made a very low tone and the glass bursted (dont ask me how i did it).

I broke a glass after I put it on fire.

Well, that’s like saying a karateka can break a hardboard plank in two pieces if it has already been pre-sawed.
But it actually comes to knowing the weak spot of the material that makes it easier to break.
If the resonance frequency of a glass is known, you can simply break it. If you need a specific kind of cupboard that reverberates the signal waves back to the glass (kind of like needing a magnifying glass to create a burning spot so you can use the sun to burn things) so it breaks, then so be it.

You are right that the occasions if they happen are mostly unique incidences and must meet all the required conditions. You can break a glass with a voice if the resonance frequency can be reached with it and the environmental conditions suit the reverbaration aspects.
There was some kind of freak betting show on Dutch Television (I think the English title would have been called similar to “You bet”) where a woman stated she could break wineglasses with her Opera singing.
The woman however made the mistake to allow the crew putting her cupboard of wineglasses in the studio and not do the recording at home in her kitchen where it usually happened. And also there it did not happen everytime, but according to her, quite often.

I guess they bought very bad quality wineglasses then.

So if you just put the magnifying glass idea in the back of the head, there is some logic explanation about the variables that play along in this game. With the magnifying glass, you need to know the position of the sun, and you need the sun as well, then you need to change the focus to get the smallest burning points. Failure on any of these variables, and you won’t be able to set anything on fire with it.

Breaking bones with audio proably only works if the human suffers osteogenesis imperfecta

@Vv.

That dutch show is old. It was called “Wedden dat” Starring “Rolf wouters”
I liked the other show “Vergeet je tandeborstel niet” "Don’t forget your toothbrush :D"

Rolf Wouters… that was even the revised version of the wimp edition that was hosted by Jos Brink.
It could also have been called “I Dare” in English… Jos Brink even didn’t dared to bathe in a fish-tank with sharks…Rolf had a lot more balls regarding these matters.

Ahh never saw the old one i think. well dunno.

Only if you dropped the subwoofer on them :D

wowsa.