2016 - Still no Pulseaudio?

I really wish Linux Renoise had Pulseaudio support, or even enumerated ALSA devices according to asound.conf which would probably make it work.

I posted here 3 years ago with my reasons, happy to rehash my arguments if necessary.

Every major Linux distro has Pulse in its DNA now, and to have Renoise just exclusively lock my audio when I run it seems like a step backwards.

Your avatar makes me want to resurrect the fake Taktic account.

On topic: +1

Why don’t you use jack and the pulseaudio sink? So you get low latency jack audio and all pulseaudio streams are routed to jack too.

Because Pulse is built in to everything, including default OS setups, and Jack is an insufferable pain to not only get setup, but then have it run the exact…

Nevermind, forget it - I guess asking for Pulse support is pointless when the same “why don’t you do this with Jack” shit comes up every time.

Edit: forgive my frustration, but I don’t see the point in arguing for support that is now a basic tenet of a Linux desktop OS.

Jack is an insufferable pain to not only get setup, but then have it run the exact…

This is beside the point but this isn’t true any more. If you need/want a front end just install cadence and press start, there’s not much more to it than that.

This is beside the point but this isn’t true any more. If you need/want a front end just install cadence and press start, there’s not much more to it than that.

There’s actually quite a bit more to it, also once it’s running and Pulse is using Jack, you lose control over things like my headset that I use for Skype / Mumble - all you get in PA volume control is a single “sink”.

All I’m asking is to be able to run Renoise and have other things still work.

There’s actually quite a bit more to it

Such as?

Last time I installed a distro I didn’t have to do anything more than that.

You should be able to bridge pulse audio to jack and still use all the PA metering and controls, it’s just going straight in to jack instead.

But as I said, this is beside the point, it doesn’t invalidate your request.

Just be patient for dev team to weigh in… nobody else has any power here :slight_smile:

if its any consolation, im still waiting for a jetpack

And me for sub millisecond round trip latency.

Seriously though, if you really want a crappy config, why don’t you just run Renoise in Wine with the PA sink?

Seriously though, if you really want a crappy config, why don’t you just run Renoise in Wine with the PA sink?

I need to try this, but that actually sounds like it would work, as WINE staging knows Pulse now.

Still, kinda sucks that these are lengths you have to go to to get Renoise just working out-of-the-box with a modern Linux desktop environment.

Well, I’d rather see it the other (optimistic) way: in the middle of the filthy mess that is audio on Linux, it is possible to get far better performance than basic desktop configurations provide - with a bit of work.

Until Pulse Audio provides acceptable performance, and/or Jack becomes more user friendly, this requires to draw a line in the sand between desktop/consumer and high perf/semi-pro audio. And I’m more than happy Renoise stands with the latter…

Well, I’d rather see it the other (optimistic) way: in the middle of the filthy mess that is audio on Linux, it is possible to get far better performance than basic desktop configurations provide - with a bit of work.

Until Pulse Audio provides acceptable performance, and/or Jack becomes more user friendly, this requires to draw a line in the sand between desktop/consumer and high perf/semi-pro audio. And I’m more than happy Renoise stands with the latter…

Thats it!

This discussion reminds me of:

https://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

Pulse Audio is 11 years old. It’s the standard for Linux desktops. Version 8 of Pulse Audio was released two months ago. The idea that it’s not good enough, or couldn’t possibly have become moderately acceptable over a decade later, is sort of dumb. Especially when it’s the Linux default everywhere. Sure with some tweaking you can get better (pro-tip: just like on Windows) but out of the box, the fact that it’s not supported is bad.

I agree withpezz.

It might be a nice idea. So you can quickly playback an xrns on a friend’s pc with the demo, or render tunes on a non-audio-production-tuned linux pc with possibility to do a quick listen in between.

It would considerate for renoise having consumer type audio support on linus at all. Yes, current implementations of jack and alsa drivers are thought for productive audio, that means: direct grabbing of a sound card, low latencies, realtime privileged operation, no resampling (which is the most important!). Pulseaudio or “dummy alsa” is none of this.

So get by, if renoise gets pulseaudio support and you actually use it, you’ll have to live with operation very suboptimal for audio production. You’ll be able to switch between your usb headset and a builtin soundcard without major learning curves on setting this up via jack. But believe me, pulse isn’t thought for this, and that is why most audio production apps support jack and only seldom pulse (are there any serious production apps?), and only direct alsa when they’re old or named renoise. Rather blame on upstream and distributors, as for not considering audio production with jack and pulse integration as an important thing to pre-setup for dummies, which would already be possible atm.

This discussion reminds me of:

https://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

Pulse Audio is 11 years old. It’s the standard for Linux desktops. Version 8 of Pulse Audio was released two months ago. The idea that it’s not good enough, or couldn’t possibly have become moderately acceptable over a decade later, is sort of dumb. Especially when it’s the Linux default everywhere. Sure with some tweaking you can get better (pro-tip: just like on Windows) but out of the box, the fact that it’s not supported is bad.

I agree withpezz.

That page actually makes me want to try again Gentoo :wink:

So get by, if renoise gets pulseaudio support and you actually use it, you’ll have to live with operation very suboptimal for audio production.

Really tired of this argument.

You even put forward a decent use-case (i.e. rendering and being able to play something easily on a non-messed-up-by-jack desktop).