A DAW Finally worth settling on - Renoise

Exactly, skeuomorphism adds meaningless visual information. Software companies hiring 3D modelers to render their lame ass tape saturation plugins is one of the reasons that helped me quit VSTs. It won’t stop at a bunch of 3D knob woodgrain wank, eventually we’re going to have desktop-stripper style studio assistants virtually wrapping our cables and bringing us coffee.

this.

I made an account on the forums just to be able to reply to this thread saying that I’ve been creating chiptune music for several years now, always used lsdj on the gameboy and it was my first introduction to trackers (and electronic music production in general).

Recently ive been going more towards producing music using a legit DAW and ive used ableton and fl studio for some time and i have to say, i think ableton is great for certain things, but its workflow is just messed up. i can’t for the life of me sit down and actually produce a song using that daw. i tend to experiment a lot and come up with cool loops but my mind has been frozen in tracker mode so when i found renoise recently you have no idea how much of a godsend i felt it was. i literally cried out loud saying: FINALLY! A DAW THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE!

anyways i cant claim that i have made any music using renoise, ive been kindof busy for a long time and havent had a chance to actually do serious work with renoise but i am planning on buying the license just because its so affordable and the software is so well made.

Good job renoise peeps on making something great to fill a gap rather than follow every other daw’s footsteps.

tl;dr version: renoise is nice, makes sense to me more than any other DAW. happy i found it.

Renoise is a jewel, i love to work with it. It is so fast, reliable and cool looking,
IT COULD EVEN HAVE BEEN CODED IN ASSEMBLER! ;)/>

I had so much timing problems with cubase and sonar, i never had with renoise!
4 days of using renoise can convince you, but it took me more time to have a satifing fast work flow.
And i learn every time i use it more. Really exited about the next version.
Hey Renoise-Team, you do an awesome job, all the best for you, hope you are alive and kicking.

Greetings
Hardock

Luckily, for those wanting something coded entirely in assembler, there are other options:

Impulse Tracker was entirely coded in (x86 dos/realmode) assembler.

Awesome overall UI. That sums it up. View, control, layout, etc. Also, the effects modularity is pretty sweet. All the functionality under the hood is rock solid, and most things you need are not only there, but perfectly settled where you need them.

Definitely needs time-stretching and instrument parameter automation. Effects-rack-style DSP grouping would be nice too. Woo! And non-destructive crossfading for looping. And per-point automation curves. And MIDI effects. Here’s hoping for all of the above in the next version. ;)

Also, specifically not using the word ‘gay’ in a derogatory manner has been a big thing for a while now. Please join us and quit using it like that.

And ‘chink’? Never okay.

Click to view contents

I quit a job I really loved because my boss used the phrase “Chinese chinkopath” sincerely and without a second thought. He also sent me Muslim-bashing emails.

Hello world, I bought my copy in March 2010. I finally got into the MAC thing so I’m a mac user now… It looks soooo much better for some reason on my ImAC, Renoise that is… It’s the coolest thing to watch on screen… I love the step sequencer… That’s why I bought it is for it’s step sequencing so I can create those Vince Clarke type sequence…

You know what else I like about Renoise? I like the way you create your song sequence… I can create a chorus pattern, melody pattern, a break pattern, etc… I like the sections to sequence your patterns…It’s a groovebox on steroids… Plus with 8 gigs of ram and I5 IMAC… I can compose and use and abuse effects… Best part is, I can resample my sequences…

Now, i’m not going to lie to you but I want to get into LOGIC also because it’s the only sequencer I never used… Logic ProX that is… but for now, I’m ok with RENOISE rewire to my Reason 4(THOR)

I’ve messed around with a few DAWS. I used Fruity Loops back in the late 90’s early 2000’s when it was still called Fruity Loops. Then I got into Reason. I used Reaper in conjunction with Reason for like 5 years. I finally decided I wanted to try something new. I’ve found that I work very fast in Renoise. At this point it’s all I use. I bought Studio One looking for a linear DAW to accompany it. I HATE the native REAPER plugins. Studio One Pro had a mastering suite and I liked the native EQ’s and compressors. So I bought it. Truth be told though? I rarely use it. I mostly use it at the very end once I want to start mixing things down.

I also bought Maschine. I like it a lot and it’s really fun to use, but I find that in the end I keep coming back to Renoise.

Renoise is just a blast to use. I always feel like I’m exploring sound when I’m using it. There’s this real sense of discovery with the key commands and all the sample manipulation. Sometimes I’ll just bounce a section of a song I wrote into a loop and just start fucking around. Actually, the last piece I wrote that’s all I did. I went through a bunch of incomplete tunes and just extracted some sections out of it and threw it into Renoise and started messing around. I honestly learned SO much doing that. It’s so easy to just manipulate samples and loops. I honestly have always hated working with loops, but with Renoise it doesn’t feel the same. I can make a loop, turn it into a sample and just go crazy on it! Reverse it here, repeat it there. A four bar loop can turn into something entirely different! Renoise makes it so much fun. There’s nothing like it in my opinion.

Now it has it’s weaknesses. I always feel like I end up working in that loop based format. So when I work on something that entails really complex structures, I find it cumbersome to use. Especially if you have multiple time signatures. In this situation I end up needing a linear DAW to meet my needs. I often times will still use Renoise, but I’ll run it through rewire. Also, I would NEVER track a band in Renoise. That would be a terrible experience. Honestly, I’m not sure it’s even possible since I don’t think you can record multiple samples simultaneously. Tracking a drum set would be a nightmare in Renoise. Again, in that situation I would need to use a Linear DAW. Any kind of live music setting where I’m not just playing around with samples and VSTi’s, I need a linear DAW. As a jazz musician, I still have to use the linear format quite often. However, that being said, when it comes to working and writing tunes, Renoise is a blast. And despite it’s issues in working with audio, it’s surprisingly flexible. Obviously you record everything to a sample. But this can actually sometimes be beneficial. It’s easy to arrange audio in the tracker environment. You just put Z and there you go, there’s your audio. One of the things I love to do is write a part on a guitar or my bass, then put the sample up an octave just to see what it’ll sound like. Often times I end up using this altered version! It can be surprising interesting and quick. You don’t need to open up some external plugin to pitchshift, you just hit Q and there you, some weird altered guitar part. Then you can even go further and slice the sample and make some even crazier stuff!!

Love Renoise. By far my favorite place to work and is really my home when it comes to audio production.

@Garmonbozia:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can feel them. :walkman:/>

I am working on an album right now and I want to integrate renoise via rewire
to logic 9. Or I am simply exporting the loops. Its awesome in combination I
must say. Renoise is the best sampler in this world. And Logic offers everything
else. I have Novation Nocturn which can control every instrument and effect in
Logic. So I can smoothly record automation. I do also record audio to Logic
using “Take Comping” and integrate Loops in my own Groove via “Flex Time”
and use Fades, cut audio here and there… place an audio file to the arrangement,
shift it until it fits… and the main reason to use logic at all: the low-latency-mode…
which is all not possible with renoise.

And since i got renoise I am able to use discoDSP HighLife which has the 512 Point SINC
algorithm (non realtime). Its the best pitch quality i ever heared even when I am transposing
several octaves. With renoise… one click and i have it sampled. Bam! :yeah:/>

Would use renoise alone but not when I want to record vocals too…

Renoise does something wonderfully, better than any other DAW, but in other areas it lacks of important features. On my workflow those lacking features are so important that I had to try what other DAWs can do. I tested buch of them (Reaper, Cubase, Presonus, Ableton and Sonar).

About a month ago I finally bought Sonar X3 Producer and now i’m finally happy camper. Now i’m using Renoise just as a sampler inside the Sonar with rewire. Yes, now and then i’m missing tracker based note editing, but working with different time signatures, triplets and some other things is just so much easier with Sonar + Melodyne ARA integration on the Sonar X3 Producer is so awesome.

I’m definately going to watch, with great interest, where dev team is going to take the Renoise with next releases.

i’ve tried several daws over the years just like many others and even after demoing bitwig I feel as renoise and reaper are quite efficient for my workflow.

I recently (and finally) decided to go full Renoise. At first my plan was to rewire, but after spending some evenings with the R3 beta it became obvious to me that I dont need rewire, I just need Renoise:D

Recently found out, how to use Midi In/Out of native Linux audio plugins (.so) in Renoise, at least of the ones, which I use. So there isn’t any reason to go back to Windows (and other DAWs) at the moment. :walkman: If I need a linear audio approach, I could jack Renoise with Ardour, though I always get a barf reflex when opening it. :wacko:

Good day to you all :)

@E.J.: Great, better ideas are … better. For my self I just wanted
to report here that I tested running renoise as a slave in logic.
But i found out while playing around that its subliminal distracting.
To use different key commands and have two programs open…
I think one globe of thoughts “what I can do how” is enough for
my brain. I am doing music not programming ping pong.

It works fine, as it should but when i record something from
renoise to logic… its not 100% correct. I was at this point
on windows with fruity loops (4) and I did the same thing:
saying goodbye rewire.

I found out even a better way to handle it. (my main concern is
producing until the end without letting the high CPU consumption
or peaks cut with a STOP AUDIO!-knife through my plans.

Thats what happended with ALOT of logic projects. Too big to simply
play them back. How mean is this? I thought some moments that I am
too lazy (or something) to finish a track while starting a new one which
was ALSO unplayable. Logic gets mad when playing back many audio files
and when automation is written everywhere the whole song turned to
dust with the plan to bounce every region down, naming it, grouping it,
what obviously has to be done first before stepping any further.

By the way i want to find out which Logic 8 Version was most stable and
a lot of us users wanted to keep it. Then came an update and … damn another
bug implanted… no I do not want to write about this any more. :) Back to my plan:

The first part contains “go to hell Logic!!!”. I’d rather work less comfortable and
with workarounds than waiting again 10 Minutes to start!!! har har harrrrr
Second part is: I want to export the songs, remixing them in renoise. Then
turning all of the recyclable content to renoise instruments and delete this bug-
hotel from my program dock once for all! :yeah:

Good plan? I hope so. My plan i wrote some days ago is still active. Have the
first lyrics written… want to collect a while… concentrating on recycling and making
the crazy stuff (psytrance) danceable.

Would be cool to find out how others organize their songs… would be interesting.
I’ll probably open a thread to this topic.

I should explan why I “spam” this thread with my plans is simple: Now, it is “official”
for me. Now I am finished LOL

Have a wonderful day and sleep @all beings

2 things:

Fuck casual homophobia.

and:

I am waiting for a reduced price to jump in, like “Cas”.