A Fraudolent Mail I Got

i got this and i ve STRONG suspect it s fake (watson, you kan kall me Holmes, John Holmes)
My brother was sure it was from the original company. so if you have parents, brothers, sisters, dogs or whatever using the net. take an extra look on them.

Dear PayPal member,
At PayPal, we value the trust you have placed in us by using our service to conduct your transactions
online. Because our relationship with you is financial in nature, the protection of your privacy is particularly
important to us.

We are sending this verification notice to provide you with information about how PayPal safeguards
your privacy, as well as to comply with U.S. federal privacy guidelines that apply to financial institutions
such as PayPal. The full terms of PayPal’s privacy policy are available on the PayPal website, which you
are welcome to review at any time.

Please verify your account and financial information by clicking on the link below:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=verify
( this is linked to: http://209.133.47.194/paypal/verify/ )

*** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ***

Copyright© 2003 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property
of their respective owners.

Not sure I dare press that link… Looks scary to me! :unsure:

if you get mails like this, never click on the link, instead open the paypal webpage from hand in your browser and log in.
sometimes companies are required to get your approval of things like new rules, but this does not happen often and if it happens clicking a link cant be the only option.
as far as I know there is a lot of spammail running around from people trying to collect logins for paypal and similar (because this is about real money) and its sometimes hard to be sure if its right what they write.

this mail looks not good to me, a simple tracert to that IP in the link shows that it goes to a host called “go.cheesewax.net”, and I dont think they have anything to do with paypal.

so either stay away from it or login to paypal by typing the paypal.com URL in your browser and look if there is really something you need to approve.

There’s a bug in IE that makes it possible to construct a link that loads a different page than the one that is displayed in the address bar. As I’ve read somewhere, the bug has already been used by frauds to redirect users to fake bank or payment service account verification pages and make them enter their account info - so be careful with such emails or better perform a windows update or download the most recent critical update for IE, as the bug’s already been fixed.

–P/\ULiE PHONiCK

or even better don’t use IE at all :)