A Program I Wrote: Glitch.

Ah! Delphi is pascal! :)

Haven’t used that since 1998! Excellent!

This seems wonderfully straightforward, btw … slowly working my way through the tutorial … thanks.

hehe yeah… I used Turbo Pascal back in college (some 10 years ago), so there was still a little bit of knowledge stored in my brain. Getting to grips with Delphi wasn’t that difficult really. Certainly a lot easier than wrestling with C++ :)

PS…

I’ve made a very simple little demo plugin for you in case you have any difficulty getting started. Just something basic with an amplitude modulator, a very crude overdrive, basic filter, master volume controls, etc.

http://dopedesign.com/downloads/SimpleVST.zip

Perhaps you (or anyone else reading this who fancies playing around with Delphi) will find it useful to learn some basics from.

This prog should be a native effect in Renoise so it will render (no pun attended) attention to Renoise when ever people ask them how did you make that effect?

Excellent work! :yeah:

I can’t wait to play with the VST. The only thing thats come close to this is a plugin called SupaTrigga which randomly chops up incoming audio and re-arranges, repeats, or reverses the slices based on a %age probablility.

Your plugin sounds waaaaay more advanced and could be just what I’ve been looking for!

When you release it into the wilds of the interenet, make sure you put a PayPal button on your site, I’ll certainly be donating if it delivers the ‘goods’. ;)

Would you or anybody else reading this mind posting a link to the supertrigga download…when I google searched it I only found people talking about it in forums but couldn’t locate it. Thank you. :)

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=6

sweet! thank you very much

This rocks!

Great work! Cant waith to try that VST plugin!

Sorry, forgot to log in. I’m using the new laptop. ;)

Actually it works if you use it as an insert in an instance of energyXT. :)

Any updates on Glitch VST?

:eek: Oh wow.

I’ve gotta download this when I get home. This is what happens when I don’t have internet for a month! grr.

Glitch VST… dblue, have you done one yet?
I’m only asking, because my vapourware plugin (a.k.a. InstaJungle) which some of you may have heard of, but no one has seen (except blakis, and i haven’t heard from him since…) may be similar in concept.

I enjoyed the discussions on the future of glitch as a genre now that such software is available to do these effects quickly and easily, since those were the exact same discussions I’ve had with friends over here about InstaJungle.

So I’ll release it freeware tonight when I get home and link to it in my sig. My friends who keep telling me not to can get bent- it’s an inevitibility, and dblue has PROVED that if one person holds back on it, then someone else will come along and share it.

The genre of glitch will never be the same again! :ph34r:

thnx laurencedavies, i’ll check it out! :)

how’s your Glitch doing dblue?! looks really awesome too!

mlon

Hope you like it, Mlon.

Dblue, this isn’t a competitor to your one, I reread the message I posted above and it gives the wrong message, sorry. I can’t wait to try your program out (I have to get my windows box up and working again) and I from what I’ve read from your description, it works in a completely different way.

I wrote instajungle a while ago with the intention of distributing it but was convinced by my well meaning but nevertheless capitalist friends to try to make money off it, and so I got bogged down trying to make a gui and other bits and pieces.

The more plugins the better! The aim here is to master the perfect way of producing certain types of music, and armed with renoise, we’re well on the road to reaching that destination. Nevertheless, new ideas and different perspectives and creative methods are not just beneficial to the individuals writing the music, but essential to the evolution of music itself.

Absolutely no need to apologise. I agree with you - the more plugins the better. Each plugin will always have a certain uniqueness to its sound anyway, kind of like a little bit of personality from the person who coded it, so I think there is room for everyone. People will be sitting down and thinking “hmm, this track really needs some InstaJungle flavour” or “that break would sound nice with dblue’s Glitch” or “this would be nice with LiveCut”, etc.

As for the progress of my plugin, I haven’t been feeling very focused this past week so I haven’t done much work with it, but I’m getting back into the flow now. I actually had a near-complete working version which I was testing within in Renoise to create these sounds, so my work on the actual algorithms and logic is basically finished. But although that code did work it was a complete mess on the inside :) So what I am doing at the moment is rewriting and optimising everything, adding in support for presets/programs, etc.

I really didn’t expect the reaction to the original commandline version to be so positive, so I kind of feel a bit silly now for releasing that old code to the public without having a proper (vst) version ready. So, again, my apologies to anyone who’s anxiously waiting for it, I’ll try to work quickly :)

Those sound awesome! no wonder you got such a good reception. It sounds way better than Instajungle at IDM, it reminds me of Autechre’s lp5 and Untilted. I’m astounded at the capabilities your plugin has. In contrast, InstaJungle is what the name describes- more suited to venetian snares/bogdan raczynski style beats manipulated on the fly.

So will there be a mac version of Glitch? If you need help compiling it for mac, I offer you my services…

Hi laurence,

Congratulations on your new step and Thanks for releasing your plugin! :lol:

Then I tried “InstaJungle.dll” on my PC, but it seems have some ploblems.
I tried to play a sample with it, but there was no sound and the CPU meter of Renoise had reached to 99.9%.
Is this plug-in also related to SSE like “LiveCut”?

And dblue,
I am looking forward to your cool plug-in, too!
I enjoyed your Demo MP3 of Glitch.
The sound is really GREAT. B)

I’ve never experienced that problem before. I don’t know what SSE is, so I don’t think it’s related- Instajungle is just a c++ class that uses the vst sdk and nothing else. However, that doesn’t mean it has no problems.

If possible, could you try a few things for me to help narrow it down? For starters, could you remove all vst plugins except instajungle and make sure renoise is running without any background applications?

secondly (although this should not replicate the behavior you described) make sure all of the button parameters are set to the “off” position. when you play a sound though it, it should play as though instajungle wasn’t there.

On my laptop, the cpu usage wavers around 1-2%. On my intel box, it’s around 1%. cpu readings of 99% definitely mean there’s a problem somewhere.

I forgot to mention that the plugins differ in parameters slightly. The windows version has ‘toggle’ feature, which a friend asked me to implement, which basically means that if a button is on and you press another button, the first button will automatically be set to off. I don’t use it myself, but some people may find it useful.

works for me laurencedavies, after fiddling with some of the functions.

do you have some examples laurencedavies you did with InstaJungle? :)

bye,

mlon

edit: heres a little (nothing special) test i made with InstaJungle,
all the repetitions you here are InstaJungle.

good to hear! I haven’t recorded any examples, but i can knock up a quick amen mash up if you want. i don’t have much bandwidth though