About Live Performance

You’re watching the wrong DJs. ;)

got a kick watching the light technician for NIN

we play metal with our renoise stuff on an ipod lol.

I have a decent amount of gear for my live setup including a laptop. I run loops and tweek effects in realtime just like any other DJ would. I like to think I have the best of both worlds because I have a live drummer and can still attack any line I please on synth or midi controller. Live performance is a definite pleaser amongst crowds of all types. If you’re just solo, try to add something to it with another instrument. The other electronic musicians that may be hanging around in the crowd won’t talk as much shit amongst their friends.

miss the decent sized audience also,rofl.we are still trying to find our niche,so to speak :P

“Lets see if we can beat the first 3 mario games in succession before the end of our set”

if the music is good then no one but the 3 geeks at the back will care how you do it. most people out for a night wont have heard of ableton or midi or whatever so who cares.

my friend does gigs using his ipod and itunes on his laptop, doesn’t mix anything just changes the song when he gets bored and stands around drinking rum in between - everyone loves it the place goes wild - didn’t hear a single person dissing his technique

I remember the moment when Graham “Spoz” Reynolds of Subwoofer
discovered his audience consisted mostly out of “pillmunchers”.
He gave up performing and music alltogether. A f*cking huge blow
to Australian nuskool breakbeat.

It’s all big beat’s fault really… if the big beat movement hadn’t started the whole electronic rockstar aesthetic, we could all just play our music from computer, and noone would care :P

I dunno, while I’m a bit sick of seeing flyers advertising ‘live electronica’ and it being someone playing justice on ableton, playing live is good because:
A) It is just really fun
and
B) You get to actually force people to listen to your music, I don’t really care if they have the full appreciation of it (It’s pretty poncy to declare that most people don’t get your music anyway) or whatever.

The live thing was partially what got me into electronic music anyhow, I liked this idea that there could be a network of people going round to parties and playing their own music to each other.

I have a friend who makes music on ableton, but wants to dj it on traktor, which seems pointless to me, it might make a more coherent beat-matched mix, but it will be less fun, which is what playing live is about really, and you won’t be able to add the little changes that help separate what you do live from on record.
Like any little change from the record is important, even if it sounds less good, a little glitch, lofi, repeat just so the audience have a different experience from listening at home.

I reckon some of the videos from the blip festival are rad examples of good live electronic music, or this one of sabrepulse.

EDIT: apparently, you can’t embed videos, oh well.
a link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QtHoxKji1Ig

this is tough for me, because i’ve played live with actual hardware, without a computer. and it seems that people liked it, but not as much as the typical overproduced shite that is played before or after my set. I can appreciate live electronica, and i LOVE playing electronic music live.

All things aside, it’s simply fun watching people go crazy to your stuff. :D

muaha, indEEd TEH one reason to perform :yeah:

Hey Botb If it wasn’t for the head-nod, it would look like you’re trying to convince the crowd to look up at the back of the room…

LOOK!!! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SUCH A HUGE SPIDER ?!?

BotB + Live = Win :drummer:

last i played, just dj’ed tracks in ableton using instajungle and ableton native effects. the whole place loved it. there was even an old woman on methamphetamine licking the speaker.

Live is nice! (nanaaana nana)
It’s all about the emotion of the moment.
don’t care how live it is, I myself bring a couple of synths to play along renoise tracks.
because I like to make every live preformance unique.