About Sigur Rós

Hi there!

Due to the fact that this is forum whose members live in a lot of different countries, I’d like to hear your opinions about Sigur Rós.

I don’t understand why there were/are a lot of people raving about this (to me) boring band. I’m not talking about the style, but the songs… I just think that, as I read somewhere, even the most boring Enya’s song is a party compared to them. Maybe I don’t understand Icelandic musicians… never liked Björk either.

Any comments, please…? :)

Haha… I kinda get what you mean. I listened to Daft Punk’s ‘Human After All’ the other day and found myself skipping large sections of the songs cause most of the songs are just repeating one section for five minutes (their singles usually doesn’t do this).

Absolutely great stuff for sure, but wish they’d done more with it. But Daft Punk works great at a party or club, and of course there’s people who enjoy just listening to them as well… me included, but only as long as I can skip the “loop tracks” a minute into them. :)

My point is that some music needs to be listened to in the right situation. Sigur Ros is nice as background music but I’m like you, couldn’t actually listen to them for long without getting a bit bored. But for background music it’s great imo. :)

I also find if you start writing a certain type of music you get more interested in listening to other stuff in that genre…

It’s futile to try and explain personal taste, if you ask me.

Even if a million people like something, if you don’t like it then you don’t like it, and that’s fine… so what’s the problem?

Unless you are worried that perhaps you are not “getting” it, or that you’re missing some critical piece of understanding which will enable you to appreciate it? Are you worried that they know something you do not? Perhaps that’s the purpose of this post - to see if someone here can reveal the secret key to enjoying Sigur Rós? :D

I dunno.

For what it’s worth, I also have friends who absolutely love them to death, but I don’t really “get” them myself either. I think some of the music is pretty and sounds nice, but I do not feel compelled to follow everything they do. And I’m ok with that. :)

i loved their early albums very much. all i can say is: if depression and hoplessness are your friends, then you’ll find yourself very comfortable and levitating (or drowning) while listening to them. if you are not obsessed with such moods - get over to some breakcore, rave or whatever. also, i found myself into the latter genres of music a few years ago, so don’t think i wanted to offend someone :D

what buzz ? i didn’t know they still exist ;)

Oh I love Sigur Ros. I began listening to them right after a trip to Iceland. I am unsure whether that is related to that fact. But maybe it had something to do… it might be a way of mentally recreating Iceland’s scenery through music :D

I also love the musical progressions, the way they alter guitars… Although at the end it’s just about the final result, I really would say that I like the progression in their songs.

well, i guess they had a “buzz” some years ago… but haven’t really heard anyone talk much about them since then. nevertheless, this one is just simply beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xow2gnVTUjs

as other said, its all about people’s point of view, you just can’t understand…

for example, I’ve found myself seized by people loving Radiohead, calling them the best rock band since 20 years, the heirs of Pink Floyd and so on, while they just bore me to death.

I quite like the early Sigur Ros, by the way, but then I have almost lost track of them, since I don’t like very much the bands which have a constant mood in every song

Never liked sigur ros and i have never understood whats so great about em either, nor really Bjørk, except this one and perhaps a few others :P

http://www.youtube.com/v/EjAoBKagWQA&hl=en&fs=1& type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess=always allowfullscreen=true width=425 height=344>[/embed]

Gobbledigook is such an amazing album. Both musically and engineering wise IMO. The songs are just beautiful IMO!

WARNING NSFW (most likely)
I’m not actually going to embed the video because there is nudity in the video but nothing obscene and I’m not sure of the rules on that so…

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2…62415450593499#

!

suicide boring crap. never got the hype there too :wacko:

anyway, its all about the own like. sigur ros were pretty great … but I havn’t got that stoned again since then.