About The Sliders

I’ve always thought it was a bit bizarre for Renoise to display track volumes with three decimal places, and I thought I’d extend this idea into a suggestion.

First of all, dB should be measured in 0.1 dB increments, not 0.001 dB. While I sometimes do wish software displayed a resolution of 0.05 dB (going up 0.1 dB sometimes seem too much), this would most probably make setting values for things like track volumes and EQ gains very tedious. That’s why I think the track volumes should be displayed with only 1 decimal place, as with every other piece of software out there. I think they got it right.

Leading on from this, the other thing I wanted to suggest is that the sliders such as those of track panning, track volume and track width should be programmed with a default value. Either double clicking, or CTRL+clicking perhaps, should reset the bar to its default value. This would be so much easier than having to type “centre” to centre the panning every time, for example.

Also, it should be possible to drag the sliders accurately using the keyboard. If the digits only displayed a resolution of 0.1 dB for track volume, for example, pressing the left or right arrow while the slider is active should move it up and down in increments of 0.1 dB. Same with the width, but again using only 1 decimal place to remove the tedious hassles of setting the right values.

Having to type in a new value every time I want to increase a track volume by 0.1 dB is not something I want to be doing.

Anyone agree/disagree? I’ve always thought the bad user control of the sliders to be a really bad feature in Renoise. :(