Accumulative State

Hi,

I’m just wondering if anyone out there would like to share how they go about keeping states of a given pattern intact (so that they can quickly return to it and things will be the same).
Obviously there are effect commands, automation, etc.
Are there any quick fixes that people tend to use over and over again to help out with this concept?

I understand that sometimes this is not desirable; It’d also be interesting to hear whether or not people have found easy ways to toggle between “continuous” flow and “static/set” flow… I’m just curious whether or not people are having issues with it or if there are some hidden features I haven’t discovered yet…

Thanks all,
gG

Me no understand english , you what mean?? :) Can you spell out an example, be more specific? ‘…and things will be the same’ what do you mean with this? In fact what the hell are you talking about?

I have some stuff as attachment (encrypted) on gmail and other generous public email services. hopefully it’s a bit more durable than cd’s or hd’s

www.orbitfiles.com now offers 6GB of free storage space, you use some kind of backup tool called Hercules to synchronize between your PC and their server.
I didn’t had any problems with them so far and i started with 1GB free storage when they started to offer their services.

Also you can create a temporary hyperlink to share the file with someone else.
Or just set a permanent sharing state on the file.

Sorry that you don’t speak English; apparently I don’t either on occasion.
What I’m asking is how people ensure an envisioned state for their patterns. This is a common problem in any music-production software.

For example, if I am playing Pattern_01 and I want to switch to Pattern_02, I need to be sure that Pattern_02 will sound just as it did the last time I was programming it. Sometimes this can be tricky if I have written automation in Pattern_01, or changed vst parameters via Effect_Commands.

• This issue comes up mostly when you’ve got something going in a given song and you want to update a pattern you’ve already worked on.

My solution so far:
Before I draw effect automation, I also enable it on every other pattern before the one I am wanting to edit so that I can be sure that I can go back to the other patterns and know that this param is set up the way I want.

The real issue:
Lets say that you make 32 patterns for a given song - Should you really have to put “initialization” in for every param that you want to be “THE SAME” as it was when you were creating/finessing it? Sometimes it can be nice for parameters to be in unexpected positions when switching to a pattern that you’ve forgotten to enable a state on, but not always desirable.

I think (which is why I originally posted this thread in Ideas and Suggestions) that this is a potential feature request: It would be nice for this to be automated somehow. It’s possible that I am missing out on an already-existing feature. If so, this would be nice to hear about from any “Tibetan” or “other-worldly” gurus such as yourself.

“What I’m asking is how people ensure an envisioned state for their patterns. This is a common problem in any music-production software.”

Ahh, so this isnt about storage space and harddisks :) I think I get what you mean now.

“For example, if I am playing Pattern_01 and I want to switch to Pattern_02, I need to be sure that Pattern_02 will sound just as it did the last time I was programming it. Sometimes this can be tricky if I have written automation in Pattern_01, or changed vst parameters via Effect_Commands.”

yes I have experienced this aswell, I always initiate all the parameters of automated plugins in the first pattern of the song by double clicking them in the automation window. That way the song always starts out sounding the way it should be. It’s a hassle , especially when you have plugins with hundreds of parameters…but I click em nevertheless just to be sure.

So then when you’ve done something, tweaked a knob in a pattern elsewhere, and can’t remember what the default value was…you go back to the first pattern and copy the value.

I wish you could just double click the vst name in the automation editor, and the ‘state’ as you call it would be initialised for all parameters automatically. This would save me time clicking each parameter! The way I speed this clicking up now is to bring focus on the automation parameter section, by control+tab’bing a few times…and then use the cursor to scroll through parameters, and by pressing enter to initiate the default values.

“My solution so far:
Before I draw effect automation, I also enable it on every other pattern before the one I am wanting to edit so that I can be sure that I can go back to the other patterns and know that this param is set up the way I want.”

yes, exactly what I do :)

“The real issue:
Lets say that you make 32 patterns for a given song - Should you really have to put “initialization” in for every param that you want to be “THE SAME” as it was when you were creating/finessing it? Sometimes it can be nice for parameters to be in unexpected positions when switching to a pattern that you’ve forgotten to enable a state on, but not always desirable.”

I echo these sentiments, I think somebody has suggested a metadevice which can remenber states before…have to search the board.

“I think (which is why I originally posted this thread in Ideas and Suggestions) that this is a potential feature request: It would be nice for this to be automated somehow. It’s possible that I am missing out on an already-existing feature. If so, this would be nice to hear about from any “Tibetan” or “other-worldly” gurus such as yourself.”

To my renoise knowledge there isn’t a feature yet that helps with this problem, maybe the dev’s reading this can give their thoughts???

i hope to get the ‘initial-param.-issue’ settled by the arranger- view.
to see the progression of the automation over the whole song.