ADSR Question / variable Attack

Hello everyone.

I have a question and I’m sorry again if it’s a noob one :slight_smile:

I have a simple instrument (a saw) with ADSR applied: 1s for attack and 8s for decay (S and R are zero).

Here is what I want to achieve: when I play the first note, attack is applied and during decay when I play a second note I want that attack is applied again, BUT from the current decay volume. So if the instrument volume during decay was at 50%, the attack should last only 0.5s to reach it’s peak and NOT start from the beginning with 0 volume. I hope I’ve described it well and understandable.

I know that this can be achieved by using the E command for envelope position, but with this I have to manually figure out the correct value for the position for every note I play. Is there another way, something I need to set in sample properties or elsewhere?

Thanks very much for help.
Cheers!

hmm, this is an interesting question. It sounds like you are looking for monophonic behavior from a modulation set/device. By default, modulation devices all operate polyphonically… I can’t think of a way off the top of my head to achieve this kind of behavior, although it sounds like using the envelope offset command is a functional workaround.

At the timescales you’re working with, you might consider drawing automation curves (and/or using automation curve tools like automatron or autosmasher) to control your amplitude envelope, although I’m not sure it wouldn’t be more tedious.

maybe someone else has a better solution :slight_smile:

Yes, technically you’ve defined it very well what I want to achieve.

And these two workarounds are also what I came up with, with a difference that I would avoid using volume automation on a track, rather control the volume “manually” with the L command. The E command would also do the job; but, like I’ve mentioned, it’s really hard to tell which value should be put for every note, specially because, graphically in the sampler - modulation view you see that the line showing you the position of the envelope starts always at the beginning, even if you put something like E40.