Aliases in combination with Repeated Patterns

I just found (yes, I’m late :P) a small thing that is probably (my guess) really annoying and difficult to code properly…

Steps:

• Make two patterns, #0 and #1
  • Repeat the patterns by Alt-dragging in sequencer (seq is now [0][1][0][1])
  • Return to #0 and input a C-4 on line 00
  • Open Pattern Matrix and Alt-drag the newly created slot from [0] to [1]

Expected result:
Sequence is still [0][1][0][1] and both [1]'s have the same C-4 note

Instead of that:
Sequence becomes [0][1][0][2] and only the first has the slot alias

Funny thing is that if you first copy the track notes with Shift-F4 in PE, then paste with S-F5 in pattern #1, and only then alias the slot, it works as expected.

Another thing kind of funny is this: (continue from the [0][1][0][1] sequence with notes in Track 01 on every pattern)

Go to sequence patt #1 and click the plus to create fresh new pattern
Alt-drag new pattern #2 to the end of the sequence (now we have [0][1][2][0][1][2])
In the PM, Alt-drag the slot containing notes, from pattern #1.

Expected result:
Sequence is still [0][1][2][0][1][2] and both [2]'s have the same C-4 note

Instead of that:
Sequence becomes [0][1][2][0][1][3] and only the [2] has the slot alias

If you try again the same trick as above with first copying note track entirely in pattern editor, it will still fail, probably because there’s small operational difference in aliasing an original and aliasing an… alias.

To get your expected results, you should first click on the desired slot to select it, then alt+drag from the center (not the edge) of the selected slot.

I think I understand now why it’s different between dragging from the edge and just dragging from center to copy one.

It’s still kind of annoying, now even when I have a sequence [0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][1][2] where [1][2] is the outro, and I change a track’s content in [0], I expect actually to be able to copy, by dragging from the last [0] track slot in the matrix, the track’s contents over to the [1] and [2]. Sadly the sequence becomes [0][0][0][0][0][0][0][1][2][3] (with the correct content though).

Are you speaking of track or patterns?
You can disable the “always sort” part in the sequencer by unchecking it in the context menu of the sequencer if you are speaking of patterns.