Alien Bottom Dwellers

Entirely made in Renoise. Feel free to download and grab samples from it, i uploaded uncompressed so it should be uncompressed in the download too.

Nice atmospheres.

Rad sound!

Entirely in renoise? Also with only using the native effects, or did you use VST Plugins? Lots of resampling and resequencing, I presume?

The spatialness of the sounds is kind if extravaganza. Like the critters are fizzing all around and behind and inside your head. Any quick hints how you manage this 3d panning and width stuff?

It must be very troublesome to find peace at night, with those weird things dwelling inside your botton…

Rad sound!

Entirely in renoise? Also with only using the native effects, or did you use VST Plugins? Lots of resampling and resequencing, I presume?

The spatialness of the sounds is kind if extravaganza. Like the critters are fizzing all around and behind and inside your head. Any quick hints how you manage this 3d panning and width stuff?

It must be very troublesome to find peace at night, with those weird things dwelling inside your botton…

I did use some compressor/limiter VSTs, but all the sounds are made with samples and Renoise native fx.

I can’t really explain how i made it in it’s entirety, because it’s been reprocessed multiple times with all kinds of different techniques that i don’t even remember myself, but in short, this is what i did:

Loaded up lots of different samples into one instrument, and set the keyzones overlap to random.

Then loaded a phrase with Sxx from 00 to ff.

I did this process with different samples on different tracks and made an automation system where only one sound can come from one track at any time.

I then added different effects on the different tracks, i made several different versions using different effects. Mostly convolver, multitap delay, chorus with a wovel filter and phaser. Lots of pitch modulations and small twirks here and there is also included. I also did a lot of filtering here and there.

I also added a silly amount of empty patterns in the matrix.

The next step was to modulate the tempo of the song while playing, using a random LFO hooked up with a Formula inertia device. This is a very buggy affair and useless for normal use, but for this it works pretty nice. When you render it you can’t render each pattern to one file, it just doesn’t work and you’ll end up with lots of useless empty files. Also the rendering time is measured at the beginning of the render it seems, so the timing gets messed up when tempo is automated. This results in that itfor instance renders the whole track 3 and a half time into one file.

By automating the tempo you also automate the speed of the Sxx phrase, so things start to sound like granular modulation.

I did lots of things similar to the processes mentioned and i reprocessed all the samples even further using track gain cycle automation with even more effects and so on.

To get the stereo effecting going i panned each track differently, then added a phaser on top of and also a bit of convolving. Basically if you hard pan two tracks to each side and play the same source material in both tracks, then adding a phaser on top of those can sound quite interesting. When i then have automated or cycling the gain between the tracks it sounds quite peculiar, especially if the already strange source material has been processed with lots of multitap delays effecting. :smiley:

I may also add that i mostly use the formula inertia device on the modulations to be able to easily adjust the smothness of the random changes/crossfading between tracks and such.

And yes, they are a pain in the ass basically. :badteeth: