Alternate Note Input Method

thanks for expanding on that, i understand it now. it is indeed a bold idea, but i am hesitant to support it, as i think it will confuse a lot of people (including myself). however, if this would be a sort of optional edit-mode, then no problem!

Of course it would be optional. We’ve already established this! :D

ah, i would tell you ‘you may kick me’, but you won’t do it, even though this time i really was not paying attention and i’d deserve it :).
i attribute these kinds of mistakes to my quitting smoking this week. my entire nicotine-built inner architecture is coming down, both mentally and physically, and as a result i am now sick and not paying attention.

Thank you everyone, for understanding and supporting me and my idea.
This idea is not actually idea, but “bread of everyday” for musicians, implemented (mostly partially) in the past by folks.
For me it is very lightful, when finally my idea is widely accepted.
Which is rare, because often it is mindlessly rejected :), just as it should be with any good idea :)

There is nothing unusual.
Because truth can not be told, or, at least, it is very hard to tell.
Explanation below your post is given correctly.
(But results of implementation may vary :) )

The idea, when implemented, will not confuse musicians.
Because what do we have now?: Step-by-step note enter with autoscroll, but without row-playing while doing it.
What will we have after implementing idea?: The same work-flow, but just more advanced = row can be heard, pattern-scroll controlled naturally.
That’s it.

Of course we can add channels grouping, and relative mute function (volume down). - It will be of use after.

But one more thing I should notice:
Instrument number should be inputing by pressing one key instead of two, and autoscroll supported by exactly the same way as in our idea for notes.
Same for all other parameters.
By doing that one can play very atomic jungle just by intellectually clicking on his keyboard, or invoke interesting effects by filling other parameters.
Instruments can be represented by hex number, but even better if it is done by letters like 0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO…
One key - One symbol - One quant of sound = closer to WhatYouHearIsWhatYouGet.

And yes - my English is not native, - but my native is also not native - it’s so strange…
I never learned at school, actually I skippen most of the lessons.
Surprisingly, 10 years later I begun to speak and understand language more properly than teachers. - emmm… how could that happen?
You, and Im sure about it, also speak not at native tongue, because - guess what???
English derives from Anglo-Saks’ old English, and they took it from Slavenian tongue dialect called EngliZ.
So you are actually speaking spoiled variant of very old RUSSIAN tongue.
How is that? OMG!
Nothing wondering - who wants to speak well can not speak well - because rules and reality are contradictory.
But enough of that for today.
One day school books will eternate my name :)

I like the idea. Also the extension of playing as long as the key is pressed and record note off when released.

OpenMPT 1.19.00.08 has got the ability to ROW PLAY WHILE NOTE INPUT!!
It still lacks many other required features,
but you can try what it looks like B)

Input methods.

Intro

Playing drums

Definitely +1 ! ^_^

I’m trying to get the picture, with all these special keys I could press and release…

This step by step idea is great, BUT it implies new GUI buttons, because

• when in editing mode, solo track could be turned on by default but you could decide to NOT turn it on by default
  • when in playback mode, step by step mode could be turned on by default, but you could decide to NOT turn it on by default

So…

• if you have 2 recording modes (solo OR mixed tracks) and 2 playback modes (step by step OR continuous), 2 x 2 = 4 possibilities.
  • 4 possibilities composed of 2 alternatives means 2 record buttons and 2 playback buttons in the GUI that behave in a particular way

Let’s imagine first the 2 record and 2 playback buttons GUI, because it’s simpler to understand at first :

The record button 1 = start/stop recording track notes but solo the edited track
The record button 2 = start / stop recording track notes, but plays all active tracks as a result
When the record button 1 is [on] the record button 2 is [off]
When the record button 2 is [on] the record button 1 is [off]

The playback button 1 = start/stop step by step mode playback : you need to press a key on your keyboard for the song to be played, and if you dont want to enter a new note, pressing enter continuously performs a silence and a “natural” playback of the song
The playback button 2 = start/stop standard playback mode, the track is played at normal speed without the need to press any key or enter
When the playback button 1 is [on] the playback button 2 is [off]
When the playback button 2 is [on] the playback button 1 is [off]

The logic behind reciprocal unactivation of close buttons, is similar to a 3 positions’ switch.

I’ll show you a picture.

Following the previous idea I’ve imagined something else than 2 play and 2 rec buttons, some kinds of switches.

By switch I mean somthing a bit like that :
http://www.all-batte…WITCH_HBS01.jpg

2 SWITCHES

PLAY SWITCH
left = start step by step playback mode (as described higher)
center = stop playback mode
right = start standard (continuous) playback mode

The Enter key performs a silence (and jumps to the next defined row position).
The other keys play the instrument’s note and jump to the next defined row position.
When playback mode is stopped you can play withe instruments but the pattern doesn’t move.

REC SWITCH
left = start recording new notes but solo the edited track
center = stop record mode
right = start recording new notes but you can hear all active tracks while recording

To record or play something with this idea : you will have to select one playback position, and one record position.
You can’t select 2 playback modes : when one mode is selected the other is unselected.
Same thing for the record mode : you can’t solo and unsolo edited tracks it has no sense.
Unselecting a playback mode or clicking on the center button will stop the playback engine.
Unselecting a record mode or clicking on the center button will stop the record mode.

note : in the “step by step” mode, you’ll need to press a new note for the row to be played.
If you dont want to enter a new note and insert a silence, you press the Enter key.

Pressing enter continuously, will perform a natural playback of the song

Here follows a picture with new symbols for new behaviours :

You really are overcomplicating things Kurtz!

Firstly no need for two record modes. If you want to edit with a track soloed then you Solo that track. It’s not hard (Ctrl+# or right click Play at top of track.) No need for a three position switch to do this.

All that is really needed is a small check-box (play line on edit) or something similar. You can already play through in Still mode by pressing the Enter button (although it currently always moves one line, not that set by the Edit Step.) This should be changed, at least when Record mode is enabled.

ok let’s keep it simple :

1st button : start / stop playing
2nd button : replay button
3rd button : play a row
4th button : edit mode
5th button : follow mode
6th button : metronome

So you don’t think Renoise needs a Stop button? Remember Panic mode is activated by clicking Stop twice, so you can’t have Play become Stop when playing.

Play A Row is already done easily with Return key. If it was to be done with buttons it should either be a modifier (Shift?) plus Play or Right Click Play (which, as far as I could tell from quickly checking seems to play normally.)

Nowhere do I see a way to actually enable the Mode of having it play while editing this thread was all about in your diagram. Or is that what you actually mean by Play A Row? Play As Editing or Listen On (Note) Entry may be slightly better but neither seem quite right…

… note that the 1st button should be turned into a stop button when down.

… However, the 3rd button previously shown could be as disappointing as the one you’ll find in the Open Modplug Tracker “one press” button.

And you have to know it, Open Modplug Tracker has never been my cup of tea.

Because in Open Modplug Tracker when you press this buttons, it plays one row, and do nothing more, and when you release it, this button automatically raises.

The 3rd button in Renoise has to be better than that one you’ll find in Open Modplug Tracker.

The 3rd button I imagine for Renoise, would also be a press button.

But it would do nothing at first when pressed down. Yep.

Whatever you do with the keyboard, the 3rd button down, would allow Renoise to play all notes of all active tracks in a row.
You could of course midimap this press/release button to a midi controller button.
You could in the end assign a keyboard shortcut to this button.

It could be usefull during the edit mode. But it could also be interesting outside of the edit mode.

Is it better like that ?

“Remember Panic mode is activated by clicking Stop twice, so you can’t have Play become Stop when playing.”

Ok imagine that the metronome button is moved down under the pattern view next to the chord mode button.
Imagine that the play button isn’t turned into a stop button anymore.
Imagine that you can now double-click on the stop button.

There :

I see no real harm in that. As it is a function toggle button I say it makes more sense separated slightly and by the side of the Pattern Follow button, rather than in the middle of normal controls. But by that argument maybe Pattern Loop should be as well (although people are probably too used to how it is now.)

I would of thought smaller buttons, like the Block Loop one for example, would be adequate for these but then they really would need a ledger along side them…

Finally, I think that the STOP/PANIC button position should be inverted with the REC button position.
I would not be bothered if the metronome button became smaller, wherever it is finally placed.

However, the ROWPLAY button shouldn’t be “smaller” than the other PLAY EDIT STOP buttons.
because it’s a very important one, maybe as important as the EDIT mode button.

I would probably replace the “²” shortcut (normally assigned to the metronome) and link it to the ROWPLAY.
Because right or left control keys on the qwerty keyboard are already used.
And you need space with your right hand to freely test or enter new notes.
I would also midimap this button with a controller button located next to my pitch bend and modulation whell on my midi keyboard.
For the same reasons.

And I would finally use another symbol for the ROWPLAY button, something that is similar to the Enter symbol on the qwerty keyboard.
So that psychologically people remember that the button deals with row playback.
And that would definitively make a difference between Renoise and Open Moduplug Tracker.

(BTW it’s true, pressing continuously the Enter button on my keyboard doesn’t perform a song playback with the right speed).

Anyway what about that :