Amen Break and the Golden Ratio in Music

I guess you can get some clangy metallic inharmonic sounding FM sounds with the golden ratio applied to carrier and modulator and take it further with more operators, different algorithms in the way they are routed into each other. Might be cool for bell or percussion type sounds.

I suppose he discovered FM synthesis rather than invented it because frequency modulation had already been in use in radio signals for quite a long time before it was applied to synths. Probably the side-bands and stuff are more important for the radio usage.

I still want to know more about this coltrane scales wheel.

It seems very popular. Ive even seen it appear in a music video recently.

How is it better than cycle of fifths?

Cycle of fifths gives you all the Major scales, the relative minors and chord progressions with many variations of major and minor chords.

Its a nice diagram, helps to change key ( either extreme key change to the opposite side, or easy on the ears key change to the keys directly either side of the key you are in ).

If you have the scale formula which tells you which of the major scale degrees have been flattened or sharpened in scales other than major, you can apply that to cycle of fifths as well, although it is time consuming.

How does the coltrane wheel do any of those things better?

Is there some special advantage, or do people just like it because it looks cool and has a star in it?

Since you guys are on a bit of an FM tangent right now and mentioned the DX7, John Chowning, etc…

I bet sum of the developers are already laughing out hard & Taktik rolling all ova da floor; bout some silly users discussin the golden ratio & music,
which they unbeknownst to anyone have implemented inside Renoise since Version 1.6.1 [RC8] A very long Time ago :walkman:

Take for example John Chowning’sStria, an important electronic work from1977, using his then-new discovery of FM synthesis. The golden ratio is used as the interval between carrier and modulator, such that the resulting timbre is an inharmonic cloud of golden-ratio-related partials. To get a sense of what the golden ratio may sound like as a musical interval, start from here and let the sounds slowly work their way into your brain.

http://sevish.com/2017/golden-ratio-music-interval/

Wow, holy shit…!!! it sounds like a proper ratio to design church bells with so their ringing creates an assiciation with or even illusion of very big space…

I bet sum of the developers are already laughing out hard & Taktik rolling all ova da floor; bout some silly users discussin the golden ratio & music,
which they unbeknownst to anyone have implemented inside Renoise since Version 1.6.1 [RC8] A very long Time ago :walkman:

Take for example John Chowning’sStria, an important electronic work from1977, using his then-new discovery of FM synthesis. The golden ratio is used as the interval between carrier and modulator, such that the resulting timbre is an inharmonic cloud of golden-ratio-related partials. To get a sense of what the golden ratio may sound like as a musical interval, start from here and let the sounds slowly work their way into your brain.

http://sevish.com/2017/golden-ratio-music-interval/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988jPjs1gao

Like I said in the first post .