Any Chance For An Arm Linux Version?

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but I’m wondering what the chances are for an ARM port of Renoise. The device I have in mind is the Pandora, which you can read about here and here. Basically it is a small UMPC device built with gaming in mind. The specs are comparable to some of the smaller laptops out there (Asus EEE, etc).

• CPU : ARM® Cortex-A8 600Mhz
  • DSP : 430-MHz TMS320C64x
  • Screen : 800x480 4.3"
  • GPU : PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant

It runs Linux, but any software for it must be ported to the ARM architecture. For a lot of programs this is trivial and just requires a recompile, but you can definitely run into headaches quickly. I have no clue how hard it would be to recompile Renoise for ARM, but I wanted to throw the idea out there.

This computer has too small screen and the CPU power may become bottleneck aswell. I’d recommend running milky tracker on the device. Milky is designed for stuff like this.

The screen is pretty small, but it is the same resolution as the Asus EEE laptop and you can set up a virtual resolution of 1024x768 to get around the problem. Milky Tracker looks decent, but it lacks MIDI-out which I was hoping to use with this device.

Hi all,

I just to would like to add that it would be awesome to have an arm-linux version of Renoise running on portable devices such as the Pandora or the GP2X !! I would definitely use it !

Zite

Hi all,

I just to would like to add that it would be awesome to have an arm-linux version of Renoise running on portable devices such as the Pandora or the GP2X !! I would definitely use it !
I dont think the CPU is such an issue, 600 Mhz should be enough to handle sample based projects. (anyway there are nearly no vst on linux).

Zite

ARM cpu’s are not designed to perform heavy stuff, don’t count on the idea that it could do some decent job with Renoise.
Milky-tracker lacks a lot of other stuff that Renoise has, that is why it can do the job a lot better because it has to focus on a lot of less stuff.